Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:33 pm 

I don't know if I will return to the forums after this. I simply lack the thickness of skin to deal with the criticism, especially of something that means a lot to me. This is also why I posted this here, separate from the main thread.

All I will say is that though it comes across as ridiculous, that review and the associated thought process behind it, regardless of how incoherent that process may have been, put my life back on track.

I'm... sorry you all had to suffer through that.

-N_S.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm 

If you want to be a writer in any capacity, you should learn to take criticism and improve. Time and time again you post these outlandish reviews, long and full of plenty of anger, and then immediately apologize and beat yourself up when people criticize them. I just don't get it.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 pm 

EDIT: Ugh - I really need to re-word that post.

Right, so, I think I have grown up somewhat since then. I can take criticism more often than not now, and I am not uncertain about leaving the forum due to thin skin. The issue here is that I can't help but feel that this review will haunt my existence here for a while... and given that I am a bit of a softie under all the layers of angst and swearing, I will have some trouble stomaching criticism of something made while at my most exposed.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:25 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I don't know if I will return to the forums after this. I simply lack the thickness of skin to deal with the criticism, especially of something that means a lot to me.

Since when has N_S become a whiny bitch? :annoyed:

You wrote a review saying things that 98% of the metal scene wouldn't even think... fine. You have the right to do it, if that's what you think/feel is right. But don't retreat inside your protective shell now. Face the criticism, learn from it and most important - keep reviewing because it's something you're obviously good at.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:28 pm 

I was always a whiny bitch dude. I... just couldn't keep burying myself deeper anymore.

I will keep reviewing - I said I *might* leave the forums - never said anything about the site altogether. This was a step towards improving - maybe not in writing, but certainly for personal reasons, it was.

...This is who I am. No shell to be found here - this is all from the heart.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:38 pm 

I can't say a whole lot because I'm on my phone taking a shit at work right now, but I'll sum it up extremely quickly. Basically everything Emp said is 100% true, and what everybody else said is pretty much on the money too. It was a bad review. I get it was super personal but it made no sense, made bad points, and once again tried to rewrite history that's like 30 years set in stone. It was a grandstanding attention magnet, which you HAD to know was the case, and when all that attention was negative, you buckled. If anything is going to haunt you here, it's making a dramatic I'M GOING AWAY thread and then immediately backing down AGAIN like one post later. Your problem is that you're too susceptible to flowing with the current, and it seems like every single time you paddle the other way, the instant the current pushes against you you just frantically apologize to it.

Do what you gotta do, but the honest truth is that that was a bad review and this thread is only making you look worse.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:39 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
...This is who I am. No shell to be found here - this is all from the heart.

Then let the heart bleed until it gets healed, if that's what you need. But don't stop doing anything just because you wrote a review people disagree with. Be yourself and don't even think about leaving the forum. :)

Oh, and could you please soften that 'tough guy' attitude... a bit? Nobody who likes Delain can be that 'tough' and 'dangerous', you know? :wink:

And cheer up. After all, who'd give a fuck about Satan if it weren't for Gorgoroth, Acheron, Dragon Ball Z and you? :lol:

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 pm 

@BH - I... I know. I have nothing more to say on the matter.

@Lich - That attitude is a figment of the past, a construct of a boy who was ashamed of himself. No more - but don't expect the negative reviews to stop. :lol:

I'll try and cheer up. Thanks for the kind words, man. \m/

I'm done here, someone lock this up please.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:46 pm 

I'm really at a loss for words with all this. Dude, it's cool if you made some stupid reviews or said some dumb things. You're talking about this shit like you committed horrible crimes in the past when really, you're blowing this out of proportion by an insane amount, and "the past" for you is like eight months ago. Just take a deep breath and fucking relax...jesus. Things aren't that bad.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:47 pm 

This is what happens when you don't speak your heart or be yourself for those 8 months... and several more years before that. It... builds up.. and it torments you.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:51 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
@Lich - That attitude is a figment of the past, a construct of a boy who was ashamed of himself. No more - but don't expect the negative reviews to stop. :lol:

I'll try and cheer up. Thanks for the kind words, man. \m/

You're welcome. And let it rain with zeros if that's what you like to do.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:24 pm 

OK, *now* lock it! No need for this thread to be open or exist.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:48 pm 

What the fuck? If I saw you in real life, I'd beat your ass to the ground for doing and saying such childish things. This is merely an Internet forum where you take part in discussing HEAVY METAL. There's no place for pussies in metal, and since you're a metalhead that happens to like a couple of Pantera albums, you should know better. Yeah, they say it's a super shitty review (I can't say, because I haven't read it). You could have deleted it, but instead, you came here and shot yourself in the foot by starting such a miserable thread.

Now, hopefully you get that I'm joking about the ass-kicking (am I though? :lol: ), but grow thicker skin, man. I did it, and so will you. :)

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:49 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
OK, *now* lock it! No need for this thread to be open or exist.

It was at this moment, N_S realized, he fucked up!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
What the fuck? If I saw you in real life, I'd beat your ass to the ground for doing and saying such childish things. This is merely an Internet forum where you take part in discussing HEAVY METAL. There's no place for pussies in metal, and since you're a metalhead that happens to like a couple of Pantera albums, you should know better. Yeah, they say it's a super shitty review (I can't say, because I haven't read it). You could have deleted it, but instead, you came here and shot yourself in the foot by starting such a miserable thread.

Now, hopefully you get that I'm joking about the ass-kicking (am I though? :lol: ), but grow thicker skin, man. I did it, and so will you. :)

Eh, I am a pussy in real life, under all the angst and anger. Pantera being the ultimate expression of the tough guy image I cultivated out of shame. I am trying to grow the skin... but I need new skin since I just blew off my old, coarse exterior after many years of not being me.

EDIT: Also, I don't delete reviews - especially one that means a metric fuckton to me.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:03 pm 

Like Emp said said, grow a thicker skin for fuck's sake, this shit is even more infuriating than your writing and that's saying a lot. As an exercise of thickskingrowing, I'm not locking this thread. You should know better.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:05 pm 

Well that was unexpected. Sure thing! Don't want to end up like LeMiserable now, do I?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:43 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Well that was unexpected. Sure thing! Don't want to end up like LeMiserable now, do I?

Too late, because I already regret scribing you. :-P
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:44 pm 

:lol: Well, the unscribe is there if you need it (I assume!) If not, then yer stuck with me! :P

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 pm 

I don't get why people get so butthurt about this. He wrote a review most didn't like and then made this thread, so what? Let him be.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:32 pm 

N_S, for your own sake, remove your cybernetic hair shirt. .. Again .. 100 jumping jacks. Then yoga. .. and a therapist.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 am 

I had to actually check the review to get the idea behind this thread. And the combo of the review and this thread is the reviewing equivalent of a suicide attempt by slashing the wrist intentionally in the across-the-street way, while knowing full well how to do it properly. There, have an overflowing helping of attention, Napalm_Satan. That's what you're after here, too, isn't it?

For the record, MoP is one of those few albums that actually seem to require understanding the historical context to review, and that's where the review fails; at least if we forget the existence of the last third, that is... In 1986 the thrash scene had not been categorized, defined and catalogued as we know it today, and claiming MoP somehow managed to spoil/destroy/commercialize what wasn't even too clearly defined at the time is at best historical revisionism, probably a grave misunderstanding of the context, and at worst an effort in iconoclastic scene point-whoring. A sort of thrashier-than-thou attempt at metal hipsterism. Sure, it's not a killer album (I should lower the rating on my own MoP review by a dozen points, but cannot be arsed to make the effort, and besides, it makes no sense to alter my reasoning), but any claims that it damaged the thrash scene or spoiled metal are childish. The classic UltraBoris review has its place here, and is at least a great read, but that does not make its points too valid. I believe MoP just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and accidentally sold 6 million copies within a few years, turning Lars into an annoying twat; I also believe Al-Quaida didn't really think the World Trade Center would collapse, and were pleasantly surprised when that happened, until Osama realized that it also meant that he had better run to Pakistan and keep quiet for the rest of his life, and it turned into a kind of a bummer for him*.

Don't try to be UltraBoris if you don't have the unobtanium-reinforced Teflon skin with an adamantium undershirt that UltraBoris wore to work on casual reviewing days.

---

*possibly the worst analogy I've come up in a long while... I should stick to comparing things to food, I think...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:26 am 

If there wasn't 47 reviews for the album, and I still wrote anything at all, I'd like to do a "fuck all the historical context" review for it now since it's all been ultra borised or reverse UB'd to oblivion, but it sounds boring as fuck to do.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 am 

The strangest thing is that i actually saw him praising the album in the "now playing" thread just one week ago, i swear! 0_0

Napalm, for the little time i've stayed here i've seen that the board isn't populated by evil wolves.. if you are having problems, wich to me seems so, you should really talk with someone, be it parents, friends.. hell, even this forum has topics where people talk freely about their lives, you can try here! :)

Just don't try to gain attention with those kind of "oh my god, i'm forced to bash!!!" reviews, it's very disrespectful both for the bands and the fans :(

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:39 pm 

Classic case of attention whoring. The last 5 or 6 paragraphs are absolutely irrelevant and have no place in a review. Sure, it's personal for you, but it doesn't concern anybody that isn't a parent, friend, or psychiatrist. I sympathize with the fact that you're having a difficult time coping with personal struggles, but seriously, there was no need to cause all this drama.

I agree with Morn Of Solace, too. Purposefully bashing something by exploiting and exaggerating its weaknesses to no end is both disrespectful to fans and the artist.

I suggest you get some help, man. Your situation is concerning.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:54 pm 

I think he understood the message well enough. There's no point in continuing this thread any further. This endless flow of criticism must be annoying rather than helping him, anyway.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:03 pm 

Well, you're right, Lich. I think that was a fairly pummelling assault of posts. Hopefully, he takes away nothing but positives from this.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:08 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Well, you're right, Lich. I think that was a fairly pummelling assault of posts. Hopefully, he takes away nothing but positives from this.

This experience might prove to be useful for him in (a maybe not too distant) future. It's just people should know when to stop.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:33 pm 

Sorry dude, but you really need to get over yourself and stop making mountains out of molehills. Like Napero pointed out, don't try to be UltraBoris if you have thin skin.

Human_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm 

Mate, cheer up.
This is just the internet, don't let anyone discourage you for your opinions.
Instead, stand behind the choices that you make and don't let anyone to put you down.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 am 

If you really meant any part of what you said in the last five or six paragraphs of your review, then I think it might be good for you to take a break from reviewing. Hear me out.

Your general attitude towards reviewing is really similar to what I was doing around 2012-2013, what with the super-over-the-top hyperbole, the metaphors about how such-and-such album is an affront against art, and the general theme of negativity and cynicism. I was not in a happy place around that time in my life, at all. I was alone and depressed and didn't have any friends to hang out with or confide in. I don't think a lot of the opinions I expressed around that time were entirely genuine. My general feelings on the music were genuine, more-or-less, but in such an unhealthy mindset it's really easy to project a lot of your own self-dissatisfaction and unhappiness onto an album, something that seems like it can be emotionally interacted with but which has no means of directly responding. It's empowering, in a sense, to be able to lash out against something without the social consequences of hurting another human being.

Your review reminds me a lot of the 12,000-word Catasexual Urge Motivation review that Noktorn wrote around the time that his life was engulfed in a heroin addiction. Like your review, it started kind of about the album in question and then devolved further and further into an introspective piece which revealed that his thoughts were mostly on himself and that the review as a whole could've been written for basically any album. I think any satisfaction you could've gleaned from that Master of Puppets review is only temporary, and only because you see it as demonstrating your own story. But this is a music website, not a blog, and this isn't the place for that. It's an inefficient way of looking for something that you think you're missing inside.

I tried my darndest to change my life for the better over the past two years, and maybe that's why I review so much less frequently nowadays - because I only express opinions when I genuinely have one worth expressing and not because I want my opinion, whatever it is, to be heard, in the hopes that it might have value to somebody. But I don't think I'd rather have it any other way. And I wouldn't have it any other way for you, either. As somebody who was once in your shoes, you deserve better. Go find help and accept that finding excuses to have controversial, vitriolic opinions is a very poor method of self-medication.

I hope you think about what I've written here at least a little bit.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:00 am 

Dude, just keep on reviewing.... Remember the time in July when Diamhea said he didn't want me trying to review on the site? Well, I never gave up since then, and right now I've written about 50 reviews.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:10 am 

It was an absolute shocker of a review, but yes, as MC said it's probably a better heads up that you require improved medication. Take some better medication and rewrite the thing in 10 years when you're at peace with yourself and don't just pussy out hard when people say your shit stinks.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 am 

Don't rewrite it, it's beautiful.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 pm 

I concur with what MutantClannfear said, that's why I deleted all that crap.

However, since Napalm_Satan is a stranger on the internet I've never talked to and I'm all too happy to finally see a Kruel-level batshit reviewer again, I'm switching off the caring part of my brain and would rather like to see this episode play out. It's fucking genius.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 pm 

Mountains out of molehills is the perfect phrase. For everyone involved.

Pretty much everyone and his grandma knows what Master of Puppets is. Everyone who reads the archives goes for factual information and maybe to glance at the rating to get an idea but you don't need an idea for Puppets... you already have one, 99% of the time. So, the world at large does not give a shit about a 17 year old's opinion (or a 40 year old's for that matter) on a settled thing. It's regrettable that the ratings in the archives get unreliable like that and I know it is frustrating to read obvious nonsense but that is a genuine problem with albums that are not that well-known or common knowledge, not Master of Puppets or Powerslave.

Honestly, the ratings on rateyourmusic are far more reliable because they have great numbers behind them that normalize each trend of an opinion and points to the general consensus far more reliably than the archives.
Is there an explanation somewhere (I'm sure there is) of why stand-alone ratings are not allowed?

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I can't say a whole lot because I'm on my phone taking a shit at work right now

Highlight of the thread right here. This is one of the funniest things I've read on this forum or even on the internet :lol:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:52 am 

droneriot wrote:
I concur with what MutantClannfear said, that's why I deleted all that crap.

However, since Napalm_Satan is a stranger on the internet I've never talked to and I'm all too happy to finally see a Kruel-level batshit reviewer again, I'm switching off the caring part of my brain and would rather like to see this episode play out. It's fucking genius.

I'va actually checked out Kruel.. oh my god, he's so amusing!
I wanna see him giving a 0% review to a Kinder Bueno calling it "intrinsically devoid of the paramount art of bakery"!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:56 pm 

Stop reading/writing about yourself.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.