Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am 

you should simply wait, as every other reasonable user does.

Christopher_Schmid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 am 

Witcher wrote:
you should simply wait, as every other reasonable user does.

Sorry, That was just mention.
Thanks

bultband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 pm 

Listen for your self www.myspace.com/bultband

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm 

No. I strongly advise you to stay civil, this won't get you anywhere.

haptic_doom27
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:13 pm 

I recently submitted a page for the Death Metal band Fenrismaw. You rejected it because you needed proof of a physical release. The band distributes themselves, and through websites. Below is a picture I took of the PHYSICAL EP.

http://i40.tinypic.com/mr73x1.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/9vbl6p.jpg

They use both Facebook and Myspace.

www.myspace.com/fenrismaw
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 2762358583

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:20 pm 

You can resubmit the band, include these pictures in your submission.

elfstone321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm 

well the first band
http://www.myspace.com/mindcide
is this enough metal?? can I submit it??? (yes i know with proof of cd)

the second band
http://www.myspace.com/schlachtenformationdolguldur
he mention 3 demos and I ask if he released physically and his answer was exactally: "sorry, but the old demos are not anymore available."
that mean he released once but i'ts not available anymore. Can I submit it??
(with proof i know)

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 pm 

wednesdead666 wrote:
well the first band
http://www.myspace.com/mindcide
is this enough metal?? can I submit it??? (yes i know with proof of cd)

No.

wednesdead666 wrote:
the second band
http://www.myspace.com/schlachtenformationdolguldur
he mention 3 demos and I ask if he released physically and his answer was exactally: "sorry, but the old demos are not anymore available."
that mean he released once but i'ts not available anymore. Can I submit it??
(with proof i know)

If you can prove that they were released physically, yes.

Christopher_Schmid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm 

I have a question
Is there any advanced search feature or any form that i can search the previously rejected bands in it?
I mean, when i want submit a band i have to fill all fields (Band Name, Music genre, Origin etc.) and then click the "Submit" button and then maybe MA say : this band previously rejected for not being metal or this bands is stored in database for moderate.

Thanks

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:24 pm 

You will find an old thread about that on this forum through the search function.

Christopher_Schmid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
You will find an old thread about that on this forum through the search function.

I'll search again. Thank you
EDIT: Oh man, I think you mean this topic. I have to check all 10 page ! but i think, I just cant. Anybody knows something about that?

Sorop
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 pm 

You rejected my try to give you a solo band of Juha Jyrkäs, who plays in Poropetra and writes the lyrics to folk metal band Korpiklaani. Juha goes by his solo name and he makes his songs with his electric kantele. The sound and all the atmosphere in his songs are metal & rock (although played by kantele, but that doesn't count; Apocalyptica plays with cellos and they're still metal - at least in your count) but still you reject it with saying: "no metal".

Previously I tried to give you Juha's former band VMMA, which played post thrash metal in the beginning of the 2000's, but you rejected it with a same excuse: "no metal", although the sound was so metal as it can be. When I told you about it, you said that VMMA's demo wasn't never really published, which was the true reason for reject. Juha released his solo demo just for a while ago, so that's not the reason this time.

I'd like to give you a few questions:

1.) What's metal in your count, when non-metal bands (like Juha's Poropetra) can be in your list, while metal bands (like Juha's solo band carrying his name, Juha Jyrkäs, and his previous band VMMA) are rejected as "non-metal"?
2.) Is this reason "no metal" just a message without content? Last time it was because their demo wasn't really published. If so, why can't you post the real reason?

I've only tried to help you with your mission in collecting data about some unknown bands I happen to know. I really think that they should be promoted and people outside in Finland should be known about them. It really frustrates me, when you just reject them with the same reason: "no metal" although the reason may be something else (as it was in VMMA's case). I just like to know the true answers to these questions, not bullshit!

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:54 pm 

Christopher_Schmid wrote:
EDIT: Oh man, I think you mean this topic. I have to check all 10 page ! but i think, I just cant. Anybody knows something about that?

No, I don't mean this one. Search for both "rejected" and "list" in the Suggestions and complaints forum and you will find a lot of threads about the rejected list including one that has the list.

raynorkap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:55 pm 

I'm just wondering whys the Folk metal band Corvus Corax is being rejected. They might not use "rock" instruments (Guitars, Drums, etc) but hey they're more metal then Dragonforce. Can some one answer my question?

Last edited by raynorkap on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 pm 

No, they're not metal.

raynorkap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 pm 

how are they not? They're labeled as Folk metal

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 pm 

How bands are labeled elsewhere does not matter. How they are not metal? Might as well ask how Britney Spears is not metal. They play folk music, that's not metal in the slightest.
I should ask you the question how you find them metal and not the other way round.

~Guest 199766
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 pm 

My submission for Michigan band, Anomaly, was rejected needing proof for being death metal. I posted the whole demo on my youtube channel just now, so here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwruof6CUlE

Relistening to this, I'm not exactly sure if I should still classify them as death metal. Excluding that song, growling is kept at an absolute bare minimum and their playing style isn't full-fledged death metal. Help?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:24 am 

Definitely not death metal; some weird stuff for sure, though. Reminds me of John Haughm's Uncomposing, only a lot better musically.

Avant-garde/Progressive Thrash/Groove Metal? That may be too much. Anyway, the band is acceptable so you can resubmit them.

~Guest 199766
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:30 am 

Drowned wrote:
Definitely not death metal; some weird stuff for sure, though. Reminds me of John Haughm's Uncomposing, only a lot better musically.

Avant-garde/Progressive Thrash/Groove Metal? That may be too much. Anyway, the band is acceptable so you can resubmit them.

Thank you very much, a rewarding blind purchase for me on ebay. I'll go ahead and use your tag. Long, but no other clear way to classify it.

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:34 am 

Just be sure to mention this thread or post the YouTube link with your submission.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:51 am 

Sorop, read the written guidelines.
Non-metal bands can be only accepted as side projects of metal musicians released on label with worldwide distribution.

Poropetra was accepted as a side project, but I am not sure if they are on such label (it was before the current form of the rule).

As for his solo work, we do no think that it is metal and will not accept it just because you say so. It is also not on a label with world distribution to qualify as side project.
His first band is pretty nu-metal sounding, which is a problem (again, see the guidelines) and also fdoes not have a physical demo which is a must.

raynorkap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:39 pm 

What about living colour? They've been cited as many as one of the few "famous" african american metal bands

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:42 pm 

Wikipedia wrote:
Stylistically, the band's music is a creative fusion influenced by free jazz, and hip hop (although the band are frequently tagged as being a "hard rock" act).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 pm 

They have a few metal songs here and there but no predominately metal releases.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Em_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 pm 

I'm sure this has been mentioned before in this very long topic, but I would love to see Japanese progressive hardcore band Zeni Geva included. I tried to add them (as others have before me), only to be told that they're "not metal enough."

With their mid-career line up (Null, Tabata, Eito) on releases like Desire for Agony and Freedom Bondage, I'd say they were well metal. Down-tuned guitar, shouted lyrics, themes of annihilation, double-kick... if it's not metal, then what is it?

For a sample, please listen at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Bondage-Z ... B000000FAX

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 pm 

They are mostly experimental/alternative noise rock; not metal. You don't have to go through every page of the topic next time, just use the search function. Also keep in mind that the presence of the elements (in band's) you have mentioned does not make them metal. Many other genres of music aside from metal use shouted vocals, distorted guitar, etc.

Last edited by ~Guest 193166 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 pm 

Inepsy was deleted? i just went to check their page and now there's some black metal band replacing them. i am of course talking about the heavy/punk band from Canada, who was here on the archives.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 pm 

Yes, they were deemed predominantly hardcore punk.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:01 am 

that's ridiculous. they're Motorhead Jr. i don't understand why a band would be accepted to begin with if there was a possibility of them even being taken off, ever. they're either metal or they're not.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:29 am 

They are not. They are punk rock and not metal and no Motorhead influence will change it.

There are countless bands that were deleted from here for not being metal.

Christopher_Schmid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Christopher_Schmid wrote:

No, I don't mean this one. Search for both "rejected" and "list" in the Suggestions and complaints forum and you will find a lot of threads about the rejected list including one that has the list.

Alright. Thanks anyway

Sorop
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 am 

Witcher wrote:
As for his solo work, we do no think that it is metal and will not accept it just because you say so.

I find your way to deal with these things too strict. Of course I understand that you must draw the line to somewhere, but too strict approach to this doesn't do any good either. It also leads very easily to a policy, where most of the bands aren't accepted because of the arrogant reason that you simply have the power to reject bands. I'm disappointed to your policy for that, since I only tried to help you by letting you know the bands that at least for my opinion deserve more attention so that they should be noticed elsewhere too. I thought that this would be a good place for that and that you'd have a backbone to support unknown bands. Obviously I was mistaken.

Juha's solo project may not be entirely metal, it also has a punk and rock songs too, but it does have metal songs also, like Laulava liekki ie. But if that's not ok to you, then I'll leave it to your headache. I think I'm not the only one, who'll stop supporting Metal Archives, if this kind of actions take much place.

Witcher wrote:
His first band is pretty nu-metal sounding, which is a problem (again, see the guidelines) --

Oh come on! Where can you hear rap influences in VMMA's music, that would make it to fit nu-metal?? :???:

In my neighbourhood such a determinition which is metal and which is not is kinda teenage stuff. You know than in puberty many things are black and white and there's no other way to go around it. It's sad that these kinds of attitudes stay after one reaches adulthood. I thought we were all grown up... :scratch:

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:03 am 

A band does not need rap influences to be labelled nu-metal.
If you find arguing about which band is metal and which not childish, why ate you doing that?

As for the rules, they are strict on purpose. We handle according to them. If you do not like it, nobody will hold you here. Submitting borderline bands or just submissions which do not respect written rules are not helpful to us in any way.

Finally, our goal is not to support bands, be they well known or unknown, but to create a database of all metal bands that fit our two main rules, which shall be useful for metal listeners/fans.

Sorop
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:27 am 

Witcher wrote:
If you find arguing about which band is metal and which not childish, why ate you doing that?

I'm not. I just wondered your policy, since I didn't expected such an arrogant and even hostile feedback. I just told my opinion about it, nothing more, nothing less. And I won't participate this debate any longer, since I find it very futile. I have better things to do.

Witcher wrote:
As for the rules, they are strict on purpose. We handle according to them. If you do not like it, nobody will hold you here.

Then so be it! Adios!

AluminiuM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 am 

I do not understand the reason that my band has been ruled out.

Why when you enter a new band there isn't a section on the form to send the famous pic which shows its existence?

How can a band justify its existence? Only with sending a pic of those album?

Thanks!

----------------
Escuchando: %artist - track%

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 pm 

You can use the additional notes section on the band page or you can use the album cover field on the release page (where applicable).

You can prove a band's physical release/existance either 1) by taking a photograph and uploading it to a reliable image hosting website (and sharing the link in your submission or in this thread, of course), 2) providing a link to a website that sells/carries an album from the band available for physical purchase 3) zine scans containing the album

See this link: http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php#proof

AluminiuM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 pm 

ksevile wrote:
You can use the additional notes section on the band page or you can use the album cover field on the release page (where applicable).

You can prove a band's physical release/existance either 1) by taking a photograph and uploading it to a reliable image hosting website (and sharing the link in your submission or in this thread, of course), 2) providing a link to a website that sells/carries an album from the band available for physical purchase 3) zine scans containing the album

See this link: http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php#proof

Thank you so much. :)

----------------
Escuchando: Mesmerize - The Cube

Thrasher1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:36 pm 

My death metal band cock mutilator got rejected for lack of information, or no discography. When I added my band i did not add a band picture and when i added my bands demo i forgot to add the album cover.
Can someone tell me whats going on.

Thrasher1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:37 pm 

My death metal band cock mutilator got rejected for lack of information, or no discography. When I added my band i did not add a band picture and when i added my bands demo i forgot to add the album cover.
Can someone tell me whats going on.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208  Next