* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:31 pm 

No.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:27 pm 

BLACK BIRD on Apple TV is good so far. I didn't know this was by Dennis Lehane, my favorite author, until the other day and then knew I had to try this. Seems like his patented kind of straight up crime thriller. Dig it. There's always an honest and heartfelt way he writes. No overt cynicism. If things do get thorny then the characters deal with it in believable ways and the emotional arcs are rewarding. It works.

Between this and SEVERANCE and SHINING GIRLS this is a quality fucking streaming service these days.

Like his short story "Running Out of Dog" this seems like it really has something to say about like, incel culture and shit. Very interesting. Looking forward to more.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Last two Stranger Things eps this season were definitely the best ones. I thought this season got kind of baggy and slow in the first few eps, and it was all pretty overindulgent with too many characters for its own good, but I could see how well made these last few were for sure. It's effective despite how broad it is and has fun characters. I remember why I liked it anyway.

I thought the season was really great for the most part. My only two gripes are a) killing off new characters - it's too predictable now - and b) Jonathan, Will and Mike didn't really have anything to do pretty much all season, other than Argyle's comic relief and the bit where they visited Susie(I think her name was?) which was quite funny, their parts of the story were pretty dull.

I thought David Harbor's acting was fantastic in this season too.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:08 am 

Watched season 33 of The Simpsons. Despite the decline in quality, I like to keep up with it. The opening episode was by far the worst. There were some good ones in there, with the two parter of "A Serious Flanders" being the highlight for me. There were other good episodes this season ("Lisa's Belly", "Pixelated and Afraid", "You Won't Believe What This Episode is About - Act Three Will Shock You!", and others), but there were also a couple of duds other than the first episode ("Pretty Whittle Liar" and "The Sound of Bleeding Gums" being two that stick out here). Overall the season was okay. I had a good time watching it but I'm still hopeful that season 34 will be the last.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:35 am 

Started watching Atlanta last night, after reading on Reddit that it was inspired in parts by Twin Peaks. Only watched the first 2 episodes and I like it so far.
Fire walk with me"

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:44 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Started watching Atlanta last night, after reading on Reddit that it was inspired in parts by Twin Peaks. Only watched the first 2 episodes and I like it so far.

It's great.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:07 pm 

Russian Doll S2 isn't as great as S1, but only because it takes a little longer to meander around before really settling in on what it's trying to do. Too long, really.

There's also the issue that it seend Nadia has barely grown from her experiences in S1, before a major turn halfway through forces her to stop trying to be the smartest girl in the room and expand her perspective.

But hot damn, what an ending. If you saw the first season and thought it stepped into some fun surreal territory, wait until the S2 finale.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:44 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone's interested anymore, but season 6 of Rick and Morty will be beginning on September 4th. I haven't disliked any of the seasons so far and I have high expectations for the 6th installment.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm 

Season 4 was inconsistent but overall quite good, and Season 5 was...not great. We'll see if Season 6 rights the ship.

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:58 am 

After reading a few of the Reacher novels, incl. Killing Floor, I'm now half way through the TV series. It's been pretty close to the book, thus far. Fingers crossed, the second half will be just as good, if not better.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am 

I'm enjoying the wrap-up of Better Call Saul quite a bit. I'm glad I finally got around to starting Breaking Bad a few months ago. Two more episodes to go!

Spoiler: show
The catch-up to and integration with BB was enjoyable and well done without feeling forced, I thought.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:07 am 

I binged season 1 of The Flight Attendant. Not what I thought it would be but I really enjoyed it. Lots of good twists and turns. I'm keen on season 2. Good to see Kaley Cuoco not being typecast in roles like she played in The Big Bang Theory. She really shines and plays a great frontperson.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:47 pm 

The Better Call Saul episode this week was an arresting, crushing piece of TV. This is such a fucking exemplary show.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Better Call Saul episode this week was an arresting, crushing piece of TV. This is such a fucking exemplary show.
Really? I mean, I thought it was pretty good, but still pretty scattershot, what with the...
...random cutting back and forth between the present and the past timelines, which just made me want to rewatch BCS's parent show more than anything else.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:49 pm 

The last two episodes of BCS were a complete waste of time. They disregard 6 seasons worth of development in favour of a plot that is completely new in the last 4 episodes.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 pm 

Yup, pretty much.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:23 am 

It's easily my favorite thing on TV this year. The way they're doing the plot is stunningly skillful.

It's the natural conclusion it had to have what with tying into BB and what happens to him after. The pacing has been fast and I like it that way, not a lot of wasted time or dithering about it.

The "Nippy" episode was just classic BCS scheming - a bit of a light thing that was building up to this last one, which showed you that he can't get back with Kim or apparently even talk to her nicely anymore, and so now all he's got left is this fucking seedy scam he wants to do. That's what he's really all about and maybe always has been. The lightning-quick way they're showing all this really works, just so abrupt it's like a roller coaster. A lot of speculation went on for years about Jimmy and Kim getting back together in the end and that silent phone call scene was just such a gut punch to me. And this ep was just so great at showing the really ugly side of Jimmy, this really sour, mean side of him that's come out - the conclusion of everything he's done really.

No it's not all cartel and gun action but we've seen that already anyway. This is more of what this show has always been. I don't think it'd work if they tried to stretch out the pre-BB timeline and show you a more prolonged version of him and Kim dealing with what they did; we didn't need any more than we got. This is a show that has always thrived on subtleties, little looks and gestures, etc to convey themes and character. Directing, writing, acting, etc were all just so wonderful with this one.

The BB cutscenes worked... they didn't try and add any new drama to it, and they just colored in the world and spent time with those characters. The scene with Saul and Mike was especially illuminating.

They're obviously building to something else we have no idea about with these final two eps so I'm really looking forward to where they're going. From what I read it's supposed to answer some thorny questions about what he's going to do with the rest of his life - vital stuff after following this character.

edit... also The Rehearsal with Nathan Fielder is a really interesting show. Funny and weird and actually kinda enlightening and heartwarming in its own way.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's easily my favorite thing on TV this year. The way they're doing the plot is stunningly skillful.

It's the natural conclusion it had to have what with tying into BB and what happens to him after. The pacing has been fast and I like it that way, not a lot of wasted time or dithering about it.

The "Nippy" episode was just classic BCS scheming - a bit of a light thing that was building up to this last one, which showed you that he can't get back with Kim or apparently even talk to her nicely anymore, and so now all he's got left is this fucking seedy scam he wants to do. That's what he's really all about and maybe always has been. The lightning-quick way they're showing all this really works, just so abrupt it's like a roller coaster. A lot of speculation went on for years about Jimmy and Kim getting back together in the end and that silent phone call scene was just such a gut punch to me. And this ep was just so great at showing the really ugly side of Jimmy, this really sour, mean side of him that's come out - the conclusion of everything he's done really.

No it's not all cartel and gun action but we've seen that already anyway. This is more of what this show has always been. I don't think it'd work if they tried to stretch out the pre-BB timeline and show you a more prolonged version of him and Kim dealing with what they did; we didn't need any more than we got. This is a show that has always thrived on subtleties, little looks and gestures, etc to convey themes and character. Directing, writing, acting, etc were all just so wonderful with this one.

The BB cutscenes worked... they didn't try and add any new drama to it, and they just colored in the world and spent time with those characters. The scene with Saul and Mike was especially illuminating.

They're obviously building to something else we have no idea about with these final two eps so I'm really looking forward to where they're going. From what I read it's supposed to answer some thorny questions about what he's going to do with the rest of his life - vital stuff after following this character.

I could not agree with your assessment more.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:53 pm 

Put me down as one who hasn't enjoyed BCS nearly as much as it's predecessor. The only thing I have liked is the BB characters (Mike, the Salamencos, Gus, etc) being in it. Saul was a great character on BB but his then and now or whatever story is boring for the most part.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Put me down as one who hasn't enjoyed BCS nearly as much as it's predecessor. The only thing I have liked is the BB characters (Mike, the Salamencos, Gus, etc) being in it. Saul was a great character on BB but his then and now or whatever story is boring for the most part.
Agreed in part; I mean, I do like the show, but it's always felt like it's somewhat stuck in the shadow of its parent show to me, and I think that Vince Gilligan would've been better off moving on to another story entirely instead of going back to the same overall storyline, to be perfectly honest.

ThStealthK wrote:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 am 

The Better Call Saul finale was

Incredibly satisfying and bittersweet. God damn what a great show.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:19 am 

Here's what I wrote about it elsewhere...

The BETTER CALL SAUL finale was one of the simpler and more straightforward things either this or BB ever did, but it was really effective. With a finale of a whole show you really just gotta tie everything off and make it clear where it all stands, so it is what it is. It was all very appropriate, fitting. Bob Odenkirk gives a really great performance that caps it all off though, adds some real depth to it. What a ride.

I felt like Jimmy got where he needed to go here - all this stuff has been a lot of flights of fancy, but the real consequences just kept coming until he couldn't deflect or hide anymore. So I guess he had to turn things around if only for Kim. Very tangled, fraught characters for sure. I think there will be a few interpretations of why he does the things he does here, decides to change himself.

I love that he was able to pull off one last scam on the prosecution and get such a short sentence - even though he goes back on that later.

I guess despite thinking a lot of it was so straightforward, there really were a lot of good character depth moments with Jimmy and Mike, with Walt's cameo, with Jimmy's own motives... a referendum on choices and stuff like that, on making our beds in life so to speak, and most of us can't really see it clearly all the time.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:08 pm 

Yup

Yup

Yup

I'm sorry

henkkjelle wrote:
The Better Call Saul finale was

Incredibly satisfying and bittersweet. God damn what a great show.

Yu... Yes!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:06 pm 

I must say I am completely satisfied with the entirety of both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It's rare enough to find a television show that remains excellent throughout six seasons of material, and even rarer to find two of them that are connected to each other. I'm sad it's over, but it's been a great ride.

Only_Perception wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:41 pm 

They shouldn't do anything else with this universe. No need for it. This was a great perfect ending.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:48 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Yup

Yup

Yup

I'm sorry
Me too:

ThStealthK wrote:

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:57 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

It's great.

Finished season 3 some days ago and it was amazing. I cannot wait for the 4th and finale season soon.
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:48 am 

The first episode of Rick and Morty season 6 was pretty great. I hope that the season continues in this vain. The only thing I would like is a decrease in the meta-humour/meta-references, but overall I'm excited for more.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:00 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Teen-Hunger ... C67&sr=8-2

I will be buying this since this is the first time I've ever seen the entire series available for purchase, but why in the world is this being sold in DVD format???
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:34 am 

Hmmm I don't see many people talk about the she-hulk series. The final series in phase four of Marvel. I saw that twerking scene on YouTube and I dont know what to think of it I loved What If? And can't wait for Season 2 and Loki looks interesting but the rest of the MCU tv shows I don't find that apoealing . I also want to start watching Peacemaker. Suprisingly Cena does a good job into portraying an anti-hero I would never thought I find lond of cool.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:21 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Hmmm I don't see many people talk about the she-hulk series. The final series in phase four of Marvel. I saw that twerking scene on YouTube and I dont know what to think of it I loved What If? And can't wait for Season 2 and Loki looks interesting but the rest of the MCU tv shows I don't find that apoealing . I also want to start watching Peacemaker. Suprisingly Cena does a good job into portraying an anti-hero I would never thought I find lond of cool.

Marvel is broken, IMO.

Too many D list side characters they're trying to make into franchise super heroes.

But, I watched the first episode of She-Hulk and liked it more than I thought I would. I really figured the whole show was going to revolve around "look how much stronger she is than the hulk because she's a woman" but I was wrong.

Peacemaker is the best thing going by far in Marvel/DC.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:54 pm 

The value of the MCU shows varies greatly depending on how invested you are in that universe. So far WandaVision and Loki feel like the most important shows.

WandaVision: Interesting beginning that goes back to more typical MCU fare, interesting structure, great characters.

Loki: Very cool visually with the TVA, Owen Wilson, Sylvie is a good character, and it'll lead directly to the next big arc.

Hawkeye: More street-level, was fun to see a more down-to-Earth hero who's not in his prime, Kate Beeshop is really charming, a few good action scenes but the ending's pacing was a bit frantic. Also it brings back characters from the Netflix-verse, so that's cool.

Falcon and The Winter Soldier: Feels like the weakest aside from What If. A few cool scenes, including one of the coolest action scenes in the TV-MCU, Zemo dancing, but terrible villains and a lack of focus. At least it tries to say something. Also, USAgent (the fake Captain America) is a great character. I'd like a second season just to see more Sam and Bucky together, I wanted a buddy cop show but it kinda fails at that.

What If: Mostly meh, some really cool episodes but more miss than hits.

Moonknight: Good, not great, show that works mostly because it features the best performance in the whole MCU IMO (Oscar Isaac is amazing, as always). Otherwise, it's mostly regular MCU-fare. The rest of the cast is pretty good too.

Ms Marvel: Best show with the worst villains? The bad guys are just terribly written. But the rest of the series is great, supported by a great cast. The show does suffer every time the lead isn't on screen though, her charm carries the series hard. Purists will hate the changes in her power and origins. But it also introduces something really massive in the MCU.

She-Hulk: Well, it's 100% a comedy, so I feel it's more subjective than the others. This is also cameo-gasm. The pacing is meh, the FX are sometimes terrible, but the main character is funny and it's fun seeing other characters in a different context.

A lot feel like the last episode has terrible pacing. I think only Ms Marvel has a great last episode (and, ironically, What If, but it doesn't save the series).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm 

https://deadline.com/2022/09/vince-gill ... 235124488/

Could be killer!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://deadline.com/2022/09/vince-gilligan-next-series-rhea-seehorn-star-apple-tv-plus-two-season-order-1235124488/

Could be killer!

Excellent

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:46 am 

She has to start getting way more high profile roles after being so amazing as Kim for all that time.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:37 pm 

The sixth season of Rick and Morty just flat out sucks so far. Season five was already hugely disappointing but it still had its moments.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:36 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
The sixth season of Rick and Morty just flat out sucks so far. Season five was already hugely disappointing but it still had its moments.

I disagree. Episode 6 wasn't too great, but I thought every other episode was pretty good. Season 5 had a rough middle, but the first 3 and last 3 episodes are as good as anything else Rick and Morty has to offer.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:36 pm 

New WHITE LOTUS is on point. There's something really fun about this. Love some good dialogue.

ATLANTA is killing it too. Maybe the best season if it keeps this up.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:56 pm 

So I watched the latest Walking Dead and with one episode left, I have no idea whats going to happen, since
the only character thats remotely dying is Judith.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:05 am 

Just watched Gangs of London season 2. They need more shows like this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 182  Next