Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:04 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Just watched Gangs of London season 2. They need more shows like this.

I enjoyed season 1 quite a bit, and the nearly episode-long battle is one of the best I've ever seen on TV. I haven't watched it a second time, so that might be why I feel this way.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:03 pm 

Andor was not only the best Star Wars thing in ages, maybe ever, but also one of the best shows I've seen in a good while. I hope season 2 will be as good.
Fire walk with me"

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:22 pm 

Just finished The Sopranos, what a series, and that final scene has to be the best ending I've seen in my life.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:05 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Just finished The Sopranos, what a series, and that final scene has to be the best ending I've seen in my life.

Seriously? Nothing fucking happened, it was the laziest ending of any show ever.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Seriously? Nothing fucking happened, it was the laziest ending of any show ever.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:02 pm 

Smalley wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Hence why I asked "seriously". I'm sorry, the point or sarcasm was almost as lame as that ending.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:59 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Andor was not only the best Star Wars thing in ages, maybe ever, but also one of the best shows I've seen in a good while. I hope season 2 will be as good.

Agreed. It was truly great.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:54 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

Agreed. It was truly great.

It's laughable how big the gap in quality is between Andor and all the rest of the shit they've pushed out under the name Star Wars recently

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:36 pm 

Any recs on what to watch next? Something not too dense/dramatic, like action or science fiction.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Any recs on what to watch next? Something not too dense/dramatic, like action or science fiction.

Justified. It's pulpy, features both long arcs and "villain of the week" episodes, and has both Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins cementing themselves as stars.

Letterkenny. Season 11. December 25th in Canada, 26th in the US.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

I concur with Acid on Justified.

For an obscure, one season Sci-Fi, Almost Human, starring Karl Urban.

And, everyone's heard of Altered Carbon. The 1st season was good – 2nd was a huge let down.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:15 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

I really enjoyed 24. Lots of cliffhangers. Strike Back is a good action show.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:18 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

I really enjoyed 24. Lots of cliffhangers. Strike Back is a good action show.

Strike Back... The Missus and I used to watch that. Sullivan Stapleton used to shag a bird in every episode. lol

I don't think I've seen any seasons beyond Stapleton. And, I thnk we've only seen 2 seasons of Blind Spot.

I'm 7 books into the Reacher series. We really enjoyed the 1st season of Reacher, and looking forward to the 2nd.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:11 pm 

The new Wednesday series on Netflix is pretty cool. I'm only a few episodes in, but goddamn is it a fun watch. Jenna Ortega is great as Wednesday.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 am 

pyratebastard wrote:
I must say I am completely satisfied with the entirety of both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It's rare enough to find a television show that remains excellent throughout six seasons of material, and even rarer to find two of them that are connected to each other. I'm sad it's over, but it's been a great ride.

I just finished BCS last night.

I gave up on it during season 1.....wasn't clicking with me. But this thread prompted me to continue and I'm so glad I did.
An absolutely stellar series, much like its 'big brother'. Great stuff.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:01 am 

I saw falcon and the winter soldier last spring but only now did I remember to write about it here. It has very nicely choreographed scenes but the character writing is just bad and I hated Flagsmasher. The writers tried so hard to make me root for a villain that is practically a terrorist. And like is Falcon a senator himself before saying that awful line? He should come to the Senator's place he wouldn't do shit. However I liked the "first supersoldier was african-american" side story, US agent and Bucky's guilt when he was brainwashed.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:38 am 

The Flagsmahers was a change they made due to COVID. I felt it was one of the weakest MCU series, the writing is a bit all over the place, but I gotta say they did try to have some sort of message in this, whereas most MCU stuff is really shallow, and US Agent and the fight/action scenes were very good. I think my disappointment comes from the fact that I expected more of the relationship between the two, but at least one episode has them not really interacting.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:37 pm 

My wife and I have been watching old reruns of a sitcom called 'Taxi' from 1978-1983. Why am I assuming nobody's heard of it? Of course, most of you probably have. With Judd Hirsch and Danny DeVito, Tony Danza, Christopher Lloyd, Marilu Henner, and Andy Kaufman, among others.

It's quite a trip watching it. My mother told me that I used to "love that show" when I was about 4 or 5 years old, haha. I didn't remember anything from it at all, not really.

Really a fan of these old shows. It has this laid-back, Jazzy theme song, and when that electric piano kicks in.... yes!

-Jim Stotz, "Bread is Pain"

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:54 am 

M_Mosher wrote:
My wife and I have been watching old reruns of a sitcom called 'Taxi' from 1978-1983. Why am I assuming nobody's heard of it? Of course, most of you probably have. With Judd Hirsch and Danny DeVito, Tony Danza, Christopher Lloyd, Marilu Henner, and Andy Kaufman, among others.

It's quite a trip watching it. My mother told me that I used to "love that show" when I was about 4 or 5 years old, haha. I didn't remember anything from it at all, not really.

Really a fan of these old shows. It has this laid-back, Jazzy theme song, and when that electric piano kicks in.... yes!

I was born in ‘71 so I am old enough to recall it. It had a great cast, for sure.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:53 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I was born in ‘71 so I am old enough to recall it. It had a great cast, for sure.

Definitely. I had completely forgotten who Judd Hirsch was, until I saw him. Have to admit, this is kind of my official introduction to Andy Kaufman's comedy. I'd heard his name thrown around for a long time, often associated with being a "genius" comedian. Years ago, I looked him up on Youtube and saw his "Mighty Mouse" song/dance, which didn't impress me at all. Couldn't see what the big deal was about him, so I just ignored him from then on. But his work in "Taxi" is pretty good, his character and comedy style has grown on me, sparking more interest. Now I'm even curious to see the movie Jim Carrey made about his life.

I really love these older shows. Although I grew up in the 80's & 90's (with most of my memories being from the latter, as I was born in '81), watching these older shows takes me back to a simpler time, or.... at least, the illusion of such. I doubt things were really simpler for the adults back then, people have obviously had their problems in every generation.

Still, in the old shows, there's not as much swearing or taking the Lord's Name in vain (something which is very important to my wife and I, and can become pretty vexing; had to drop "Breaking Bad" primarily for that reason), not as much pushing of political agendas, etc. I mean, to be fair, political themes were going on in TV shows back then too, thinking of "All in the Family," as a prime example. But perhaps more nuanced, at least? I dunno, that's maybe just a subjective impression.

The nostalgia factor is still strong though, and I enjoy that. Love seeing all the nice cars too!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:10 am 

I'll refrain from saying anything too derogatory about that post, but I think if you find today's media's politics too much, then it's doing its job and making people uncomfortable and making good points. Though a lot of the time when people bitch about "politicization" in modern movies and shows they aren't even really talking about politics at all...

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
if you find today's media's politics too much, then it's doing its job and making people uncomfortable and making good points.

For real. The only people who are uncomfortable with any "political agenda" in TV or movies today are bigots, social justice skeptics, and intellectual dark web denizens. Let 'em be uncomfortable.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:56 pm 

Did this guy seriously drop Breaking Bad because they "took the Lord's name in vain" too much?? And complains that modern TV shows are "too political"?

looooooooooooooool

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:16 pm 

Taxi was a fantastic show. Great cast chemistry.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:27 pm 

Due to the recent posts, I revisited "All in the Family" last night, watching the very first two episodes.
It's an amazing time capsule, what with its blatant overt racism, sexism, and any other 'ism' you can think of. LOL

It's fascinating to behold the Archie Bunker character, who is essentially the prototype of the typical Fox News acolyte today.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:09 pm 

Yes, I did drop Breaking Bad for that reason (and others). I'm not ashamed of it. My Lord's holy Name is not a swear word. If you were look at it from my point of view, you'd understand. Sure, His Name has become a common swear word.

It sickens me. My wife and I cringe every time someone says it, or we hear it in a TV show.

Go ahead and laugh about it.

I'm Apolitical, so I find myself rolling my eyes a lot when I watch newer shows that push political agendas. I'm allowed to like what I like, and I like older shows. So what?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:04 pm 

No one is truly apolitical. You can't stand for absolutely nothing at all. By not taking a stance, it is implicit that you have, in actuality, taken one. And it's not a good one.

And you're right that TV and movies have always pushed political agendas:

M_Mosher wrote:
I mean, to be fair, political themes were going on in TV shows back then too, thinking of "All in the Family," as a prime example. But perhaps more racist, genderist, occasionally anti-communist, and backwards traditionalist, at least?

I fixed it for you.

About what I've been watching, I'm finally getting around to watching Andor and I'm probably halfway through it. God damn, it's incredible. It's so... different from every piece of Star Wars media up until this point. The last piece of Star Wars media that was this different in tone and themes was Rogue One, which is the best full-length movie of the Disneywars era.
Spoiler: show
I love how truly hideous they're making the Empire and how well they're fleshing them out, now that they have a real good opportunity to show them off when they were in their prime. The commentary on imperialist regimes decimating native cultures is not lost on me at all.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:58 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
No one is truly apolitical. You can't stand for absolutely nothing at all. By not taking a stance, it is implicit that you have, in actuality, taken one. And it's not a good one.

I don't stant for absolutely nothing, I just don't stand for anything on the political spectrum. To the contrary, I think the stance I've taken is a good one. Then again, everybody thinks their position is the right one.

But let's get back to TV..

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I fixed it for you.

Thanks. I actually thought it pushed pro-Marxism, and Progressivism. Guess art really is subjective.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
God damn

Nice touch, I noticed.

Can't really say much about Star Wars anything. The closest I've been to watching Star Wars is Spaceballs.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:43 am 

M_Mosher wrote:
Yes, I did drop Breaking Bad for that reason (and others). I'm not ashamed of it. My Lord's holy Name is not a swear word. If you were look at it from my point of view, you'd understand. Sure, His Name has become a common swear word.

It sickens me. My wife and I cringe every time someone says it, or we hear it in a TV show.

Oh, I will. Goddamn if it isn't literally the funniest thing I've read here in years. Do you also get the vapours when you see Satanic metal art :lol:

Quote:
I'm Apolitical, so I find myself rolling my eyes a lot when I watch newer shows that push political agendas. I'm allowed to like what I like, and I like older shows. So what?

No one is truly "apolitical". The older shows you watched also pushed political agendas (intentionally or not), you just don't notice them because they probably align with your views and don't cause any discomfort.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 am 

M_Mosher wrote:

What does a "political agenda" even mean though? What shows are pushing them? I never really see any convincing arguments for most shows outside of some general themes or whatever - which doesn't mean there was an "agenda."

Shows should be about stuff. And art does tend to reflect the times, which are always political. I think boiling it down to "this is pushing an agenda" is pretty simplistic.

Watch what you want but it just seems ludicrous to a lot of us with the "Lord's name" shit. There are so many actual fucking problems in the world. But eh do you I guess.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
M_Mosher wrote:

What does a "political agenda" even mean though? What shows are pushing them? I never really see any convincing arguments for most shows outside of some general themes or whatever - which doesn't mean there was an "agenda."

Shows should be about stuff. And art does tend to reflect the times, which are always political. I think boiling it down to "this is pushing an agenda" is pretty simplistic.

Watch what you want but it just seems ludicrous to a lot of us with the "Lord's name" shit. There are so many actual fucking problems in the world. But eh do you I guess.

It actually shouldn't seem strange that a religious person should find it offensive when their deity is insulted, no matter what religion they hail from. I get that non-religious people wouldn't understand, but the fact remains true nontheless.

As an example of a show which (I thought) pushed a political agenda, I could mention Chilling Adventures of Sabrina as an example, which is a Leftist's wet-dream. I'm sure there are enough shows which push a Right-wing agenda which I'd also find annoying, but an example escapes me at the moment, off the top of my head. Rest assured, whether Right or Left, it gets on my nerves if there's too much of it. I'll usually just move on to something else.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:03 pm 

You don't sound like you have the best understanding of the contents of your own mind.

The guy who claims to be completely apolitical, to the point that he dislikes mainstream TV shows for supposedly pushing a left wing message is perfectly okay listening to a band called Aryan Terrorism. You're completely deranged.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:13 pm 

rarezuzuh wrote:
You don't sound like you have the best understanding of the contents of your own mind.

The guy who claims to be completely apolitical, to the point that he dislikes mainstream TV shows for supposedly pushing a left wing message is perfectly okay listening to a band called Aryan Terrorism. You're completely deranged.

Thanks, I appreciate the insult, lol.

I listen to Aryan Terrorism very infrequently (maybe once in the past 10yrs), and only because I like their sound.

As for the rest, I think I've explained the contents of my mind pretty averagely for someone who's still in the process of waking up and getting the day started.

Thanks for the comprehension.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:56 pm 

M_Mosher, if the use of the words "God" and "Jesus" etc. as casual swear words is a deal-breaker for your entertainment consumption, then you're going to have to say no to a ton of high-quality stuff, including nearly all of death/black metal...

I would suggest reminding yourself that the point of e.g. Breaking Bad is not to be blasphemous or insulting to religious people - it's an entertaining show about some interesting characters involved in the worlds of drugs, crime, etc., and for artistic purposes (say, realism) the writers thought it made sense for these characters to speak the way they do. Depiction is not the same as endorsement. I could also suggest mentally substituting a euphemistic expression - "For the love of all that is holy," for example - if it helps at all.

Unless you want to tell me that I myself, in order to be in good standing with the disability community, was equally obligated to switch it off upon the first hearing of the R-word.

(Not trying to ridicule you, but I won't deny that there's some good-natured ribbing going on here.) :)

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:50 pm 

Defenestrated wrote:
M_Mosher, if the use of the words "God" and "Jesus" etc. as casual swear words is a deal-breaker for your entertainment consumption, then you're going to have to say no to a ton of high-quality stuff, including nearly all of death/black metal...

I would suggest reminding yourself that the point of e.g. Breaking Bad is not to be blasphemous or insulting to religious people - it's an entertaining show about some interesting characters involved in the worlds of drugs, crime, etc., and for artistic purposes (say, realism) the writers thought it made sense for these characters to speak the way they do. Depiction is not the same as endorsement. I could also suggest mentally substituting a euphemistic expression - "For the love of all that is holy," for example - if it helps at all.

Unless you want to tell me that I myself, in order to be in good standing with the disability community, was equally obligated to switch it off upon the first hearing of the R-word.

(Not trying to ridicule you, but I won't deny that there's some good-natured ribbing going on here.) :)

I hear what you're saying, and I'm certainly not trying to take any more offense than is intended by anyone else (even then, I'm trying to avoid taking offense, on the whole).

When it comes to listening to music, one usually knows what one is getting into. If I choose to listen to Dark Funeral for example, I'm expecting their blasphemy. Since the message is garbled and masked in largely unintelligible screams, it's easier to just hear the music as a whole and ignore the lyrics altogether.

With a TV show or movie though, a Christian person sensitive to it winces every single time the word "Jesus" is said in a derogatory manner. In the case of Breaking Bad it's literally within the first few lines of dialogue and continues throughout the series (we got to season 4, or therabouts).

Also, you see.... being married is a factor. Whatever bothers my wife, bothers me also. If I were inclined to ignore it in favor of the gripping storyline even if it bothered me, I still can't continue to watch it comfortably knowing my wife is vexed by it every time it's said. In the case of said TV show, it occurs about every 3-5min on average.

Now, I wouldn't mind at all watching a censored version of the show with just the profanity muted (including JC's Name, when spoken out of context).

I don't necessarily think it's the same thing if you, switched off a show to be "in good standing with" (just to quote you) the handicapped community for a shows use of the 'R-word.' Rather, it'd be akin to a handicapped person switching it off for overuse of that word, because it made them uncomfortable.

See what I mean? It's not because we just like being sticklers, it's just that it genuinely bothers us. Most people don't even notice it, but we notice it every time.
Like I said, I'd be willing to compromise with a censored version of the show if they ever made one, because the story is so compelling. They used to do that sort of thing, I remember it often growing up, but it's less prevalent now of course.

Btw, I appreciate your (and anyone's) effort to be respectful with regard to this. I do understand how it is a non-issue for the irreligious. The religious simply have a different outlook, and that's fine.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:02 pm 

There's a big difference here. The R-slur has a palpable effect on the disabled, as it turns their position or condition which might cause them hardship into a general negative descriptor to laugh at and insult people with. The same goes for other minority and downtrodden groups. As much as you have faith in your religion, there's no real-world effect of people saying "goddamn" except for people like you raising their eyebrows. It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't put you in a position where you are done more harm. You say the word, you are going to be fine. Others will be fine. It really is just a word. Your religion has been the top in world religions for the majority of its existence and done great amounts of harm while it's been there, might I add. You are not in any danger whatsoever just because people take your Lord's name in vain.

Comparing downtrodden groups getting offended at words which denigrate them and keep them down with Christians getting offended at the use of the word "goddamn" is apples and oranges. The only superficial similarity is that someone's getting offended. You barely have to scratch the surface to see the difference in context.

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:29 pm 

What's with the obvious psychopath playing a bunch of fake characters on the forum lately? Imagine spending the holiday season trying to troll and get people riled up online lmao...

Fucking degenerate :lol:

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:33 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't put you in a position where you are done more harm. You say the word, you are going to be fine. Others will be fine. It really is just a word. Your religion has been the top in world religions for the majority of its existence and done great amounts of harm while it's been there, might I add. You are not in any danger whatsoever just because people take your Lord's name in vain.

That's absolutely not true. I could say a great deal more about it, in fact, I wrote quite a bit that I just erased, because I doubted that it would be understood, or even considered in good faith. So, have it your way. Us Christians are the scum of the earth, so we deserve all the offense we get, and then some. That is what I understand from this.

Fine, go right ahead then, you're just proving Mark 13:13 (and elsewhere) true, so it's no matter. I'll just say this in closing:

1. No, I won't be fine if I say it, not if I actually have God to answer to at the end of my life, who will judge me on my every action and every idle word spoken.

2. No, others will not be fine, not if point one above is in any way applicable, for they too will be judged.

3. No, it isn't just a word. It's the holy Name of a Sovereign King, and Lord of the Universe. That is, if the stories are true.

4. Christians actually are in danger, because rather than an increased dialogue to understand one another in good faith, they are actually met with increasing hostility, such as the kind readily available in this trite and unnecessary back-and-forth -- hypocritically, I might add, from the same people who preach "tolerance" of everyone else. Christians, apparently, do not deserve the same tolerance in kind.

I'm hardly the only Christian on this forum, I know that for a fact. Christians are absolutely allowed to be insulted by the indiscriminate use of their Deity's Name as a swear word, whether IRL or in film, or any other type of art for that matter.

If I were Muslim and the tables were turned, and the Name of Allah were used, I imagine the reaction would be very different. People would bend over backwards to accomodate them. I've seen it happen in recent years. Same could be said for the name of Buddha if I were Buddhist, Krishna if I were a Yogi, Odin if I were a pagan, or whatever. Religionists get offended when their deities are offended, it's a logical reaction.

The truth is that humans have been the major cause of grief in this world, no matter what institution they may be at the helm of. It's not going to end just because Christianity is eliminated, something which will never happen completely btw.

I wish you a pleasant and good evening.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:36 pm 

Spiral Architect 2 wrote:
What's with the obvious psychopath playing a bunch of fake characters on the forum lately? Imagine spending the holiday season trying to troll and get people riled up online lmao...

Fucking degenerate :lol:

This can't be referring to me, as I only play one character here or anywhere. :roll: :fuck: :lol:

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 pm 

Do us all a favor and take care of yourself, bud.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182  Next