Opus wrote:
Who is JS?

"John_Sunlight"".

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:30 am 

CatalanBG wrote:
Hello everyone!

This is my first post. A Blind Guardian lover since I've discovered them in a friend's house in 1998 (Nightfall)... And I was like.. Whaaaat a hell is this??? Loved all their albums ever since.

I listen to all kind of music (yes, almost all of them) but I am so deep in love with the music, lyrics and feelings of all Blind Guardian albums, I keep listening to all of them quite often. But my "metal" knowledge ends here.

I found this web while searching for BG information and I think I can take this opportunity to discover more amazing Metal bands similar to Blind Guardian, in terms of music, story, lyrics, chores... that I have may missed and there are there to be discovered.

Anyone wants to suggest me something new to start listening?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome! Blind Guardian is fantastic, I've been a fan of them since I listened to Nightfall some time in 2005-6. I had huge expectations, and I was pretty nervous to even put it on, because I was so worried I'd be disappointed. I wasn't!

By the way, I moved your post here, since we have this thread dedicated to new people saying hi.

If you want metal recommendations, we have the Recommendations forum where you can request basically anything (preferably metal). The Heavy/Power/Speed Metal Help Thread would be the best place to start for something like Blind Guardian.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
If you want metal recommendations, we have the Recommendations forum where you can request basically anything (preferably metal). The Heavy/Power/Speed Metal Help Thread would be the best place to start for something like Blind Guardian.

The main site also has the similar artists tab on band pages in case CatalanBG missed it. Though in the long run the forum is always better because you can narrow down specific elements of the music you want to hear more of. Similar artists is just to get the super obvious "listen to Rage, Grave Digger, etc" out of the way.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Castor_br
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 pm 

Hello,

Second post here, actually I've discovered this forum around 10 years after discover the site lol

I'm brazilian, and I use to browse the site to discover new bands

My favorite genres are Heavy and Thrash, my favorite bands are Metallica, Iron Maiden and Sepultura
I love music at all, so I hope to discover new bands here

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:16 pm 

hi everyone viewing this, ignore my username;

Call me San Sebastian... i like melodic power metal, glam metal, melodeath, or anything melodic in general. my favorite bands are Dreamtale, 5150, Helloween, Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, and many more; i am a pretty nice guy in general, other than that i just try not to make people mad(if i did i'm sorry)

i might look for new bands or just chat here when i feel like it

thanks

CatalanBG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:56 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CatalanBG wrote:
Hello everyone!

This is my first post. A Blind Guardian lover since I've discovered them in a friend's house in 1998 (Nightfall)... And I was like.. Whaaaat a hell is this??? Loved all their albums ever since.

I listen to all kind of music (yes, almost all of them) but I am so deep in love with the music, lyrics and feelings of all Blind Guardian albums, I keep listening to all of them quite often. But my "metal" knowledge ends here.

I found this web while searching for BG information and I think I can take this opportunity to discover more amazing Metal bands similar to Blind Guardian, in terms of music, story, lyrics, chores... that I have may missed and there are there to be discovered.

Anyone wants to suggest me something new to start listening?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome! Blind Guardian is fantastic, I've been a fan of them since I listened to Nightfall some time in 2005-6. I had huge expectations, and I was pretty nervous to even put it on, because I was so worried I'd be disappointed. I wasn't!

By the way, I moved your post here, since we have this thread dedicated to new people saying hi.

Thanks so much for your answer! And yes, Nightfall delivers, oh yeah it delivers. After more than 20 years I still enjoy it like the first day.
I will have a look at the Recommendations section right away and hope to find good alternatives to listen and share with all you guys.

See you around the forum!

CatalanBG

CatalanBG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

The main site also has the similar artists tab on band pages in case CatalanBG missed it. Though in the long run the forum is always better because you can narrow down specific elements of the music you want to hear more of. Similar artists is just to get the super obvious "listen to Rage, Grave Digger, etc" out of the way.

Thanks again, (already kind of know Rage and loving them too) But I am going to post in the Recommendations section to try to narrow my search as much as possible. :)

CatalanBG

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 am 

Hello!
I’m MetalManiaCometh, MMC for short if you’d like. This is my first post though I’ve been viewing the forums occasionally for the past decade; only recently I started posting reviews to help with my writing skills as I am a film major that wants to make a career through scriptwriting and directing. Music, especially metal and rock, is a huge part of my life so refining my writing skills and having some fun expressing my opinions on the music I like or dislike felt like a good idea.

I guess I can start off talking about the stuff I usually prefer. My favorite genres are thrash, death, power, and black metal along with many of their own sub-genres. Other than metal, I listen to everything from classical music, soundtracks, jazz, classic country, rock, etc.

My favorite band has got to be Overkill, as their music from their classics, the 90s/00s experimental period, and their current works have really helped me in my daily life and I can’t whole heartedly say they have a bad album. There’s a plethora of other bands I favor as well but that’d be too many to list.
I should say I’m not much of a talker on forums such as these though I will try to get into discussion here and there, I more so hope to enjoy other members talks and focus on the creation of reviews that I’ll enjoy making. I hope to be well made contributor here on metallum.

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:30 pm 

I’m a new poster as well. My favorite genres of metal are thrash and speed metal.

agrikler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 am 

Greetings!

I'm Agrikler, from the deep woods of northern California. I gravitate toward black metal, but sometimes find myself in the mood for some power metal. Hope everyone is holding up alright through the chaos of 2020.

Cheers

NelyAroc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:09 pm 

Nely here!

Used to search the site years ago when i hosted a metal radio show on hosting site in the UK. Used to find solid information for Dismember, and Dissection, and sometimes for other letters also. Ha

Anyway just spent a couple of months writing a lockdown metal album in the wilds of Chile. So thought i'd stick on here for some feedback. And also see what new bands are causing a stir. (Nely Arocalypse - Bandcamp)

Spent most of my time, recently, listening to Cathedral and Darkthrone in the middle of a forest. Not of Equilibrium!

Cheers and stay sane! \m/

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:12 pm 

Welcome new people! Enjoy the forum. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:58 pm 

I've been visiting MA for quite a while as a place to research and find new bands, but have just recently started posting.
Looking forward to many long winded metal discussions and finding tons of great new groups.

I'm into pretty much anything aside from the "core" s (grindcore is great, though), overly wanky prog/alt metal, and nu metal.

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm 

Hey!

As much I've heard a lot of metal (and still do) for years, I've been listening to it less and less, probably due a lack of info/input on new stuff. So, not much of a lurker, but definitely interested on getting more updated with several metal developments of new.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:09 am 

Welcome to everyone. Definitely a great place to discover new heavy metal music, especially in the archives.

PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 am 

Technically been here for 3 years already, but I've only been making frequent posts recently, so fuck it. May as well properly introduce myself.

Hello, my name is A. Garcia, going by the moniker PrincessScarlet, I discovered the actual archives about 4 years ago as a relatively new metalhead looking for more bands to listen to, and this place turned me into a whiney elitist always looking to argue with other people about mine and their musical tastes. However, I will try as best I can to behave on here.

The genres I am most fond of are thrash, traditional heavy metal and black metal (specfically of the 1st wave and war metal varieties).

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:38 am 

PrincessScarlet wrote:
Technically been here for 3 years already, but I've only been making frequent posts recently, so fuck it. May as well properly introduce myself.

Hello, my name is A. Garcia, going by the moniker PrincessScarlet, I discovered the actual archives about 4 years ago as a relatively new metalhead looking for more bands to listen to, and this place turned me into a whiney elitist always looking to argue with other people about mine and their musical tastes. However, I will try as best I can to behave on here.

The genres I am most fond of are thrash, traditional heavy metal and black metal (specfically of the 1st wave and war metal varieties).
Very cool. I am huge fan of all of them, except black metal. I like some but not necessarily a hardcore fan.
I used to argue with people all the time and people thought I was some kind of dickead. Even though I was just correcting them. A guy at work told me how he told me how he saw HELLYEAH live. He said the concert sucked. I asked him, why you didn't like their music? He was like no, they only played their death metal songs. They even had a sign up that said death metal. I didn't go there to hear death metal. I wanted to say have you ever heard Suffocation, Morbid Angel? I bit my tongue though and said oh yeah, that must of sucked.

WorldEater1126
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:31 am 

Hi all, I'm not exactly a newbie (I registered this account a whopping nine years ago, back in 2011,) but I've been using the archives for even longer. I've taken to writing reviews recently, it being something I always wanted to do, but didn't really have time until I lost my job recently. I'm from the US, my tastes tend mostly towards the more recognizable old school death metal, eighties speed and thrash metal, with a burgeoning fondness for US power metal. If I had to name a favorite band, I'd probably say either Bolt Thrower, Carcass or Kreator, although I also hold a soft spot for Metallica, and of course fuckin Slayer (who I was fortunate enough to see on their farewell tour.) My hobby these days is finding obscure metal I haven't listened to and checking it out, and part of why I decided to start submitting reviews to the archives was just to force myself to pay more attention to the music while listening, instead of relegating it to the background. I probably won't spend much time on the forums, but I hope you all enjoy my reviews. I look forward to being a more active member of the community.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:04 am 

WorldEater1126 wrote:
Hi all, I'm not exactly a newbie (I registered this account a whopping nine years ago, back in 2011,) but I've been using the archives for even longer. I've taken to writing reviews recently, it being something I always wanted to do, but didn't really have time until I lost my job recently. I'm from the US, my tastes tend mostly towards the more recognizable old school death metal, eighties speed and thrash metal, with a burgeoning fondness for US power metal. If I had to name a favorite band, I'd probably say either Bolt Thrower, Carcass or Kreator, although I also hold a soft spot for Metallica, and of course fuckin Slayer (who I was fortunate enough to see on their farewell tour.) My hobby these days is finding obscure metal I haven't listened to and checking it out, and part of why I decided to start submitting reviews to the archives was just to force myself to pay more attention to the music while listening, instead of relegating it to the background. I probably won't spend much time on the forums, but I hope you all enjoy my reviews. I look forward to being a more active member of the community.

NICE! I'm basically the reverse. I've been here for a long time and post a lot, but i've never written a single review. Glad we have both versions of us to equal this place out. :lol:

headhonchkrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:08 pm 

hello i am a new user, i got into metal only about two years ago but i don't plan to stop exploring anytime soon and hopefully i can have some good conversations here :)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:05 pm 

headhonchkrow wrote:
hello i am a new user, i got into metal only about two years ago but i don't plan to stop exploring anytime soon and hopefully i can have some good conversations here :)

Welcome to a brand new world, friend. Who are your current favourites?

~Guest 1074047
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:29 pm 

Hey everybody,

I´m Sandra from Germany, Oberhausen where Ozzy played his last concert.
I just wanted to tell you I´m registered.

Love,

Sandra

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:33 am 

~Guest 1074047 wrote:
Hey everybody,

I´m Sandra from Germany, Oberhausen where Ozzy played his last concert.
I just wanted to tell you I´m registered.

Love,

Sandra
Damn, one post and they were banned. Guess one of the admins is not an Ozzy fan.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:44 pm 

Why do I find this so hilarious?

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:26 pm 

Hi everyone,
I started using this site probably sometime in mid 2017, and I registered back in late May 2018, but I was a serious lurker and didn't start posting regularly on the forums until this past year- and I never formally introduced myself so here goes! My favorite metal genres are (in no particular order) Black Metal, Doom Metal, Metalcore and Deathcore, and Drone Metal, but I also listen to tons of other genres. I also have a strong bias toward weird and experimental bands (most of which I found through this site), so I listen to lots of music like this. Besides metal I also listen to Ambient and Drone, some Industrial, and Rap. I just started really writing reviews this year- I have dozens of review drafts I'm working on and I'm just starting to finish some of them so expect to see some of them in the future.

My favorite metal(lic) bands include (in no particular order) Lazharus, Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere, Fauna, Corrupted, Black Boned Angel, Drottnar, Emanation, Eye Of Solitude, Faal, Sol, Funeralium, Lorna Shore, General Winter, Impending Doom, Imperial Triumphant, August Burns Red, For Today, Jute Gyte, Nortt, Napalm Death, Suffer H, Reverorum ib Malacht, Sovereign, Vials Of Wrath, Horde, Bell Witch, Bongripper, Broken Flesh, Batushka, Cthulhu, Dendritic Arbor, Ehnahre, Mortification, Nadja, Plebeian Grandstand, Portal, Spiritual Cloak, Thaw, Drown In Sulphur (formally, now Defamed), etc.

A few of my favorite albums (not from favorite bands) include:

Despised Icon - The Ills Of Modern Man, Bunkur - Bludgeon, Dirge - Wings Of Lead Over Dormant Seas, Skagos - Anarchic, The Mausoleums - Blackened Fawns Cleanse The Earth With Fire, Pig Destroyer - Natasha, Meshuggah - I, Ingested - Call Of The Void, etc.

[^That list may not be exhaustive, I might have forgotten something]

Looking forward to continuing my time here on the forums!

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:32 pm 

All, hello.

As you can tell by my registration date, I'm not really a newbie. I've been around since the start -- the Boris years and all that, but I never engaged much. I used to have reviews up but I deleted them all in a bit of a /ragequit but most of them weren't any good anyway. I lost touch with this site over the last ten to fifteen years because I wasn't listening to any new music, so I didn't have much reason to post. Since 2018 though, I've made a conscious effort to listen to new bands, albums, etc. and it's been a very enjoyable experience. As such, I hope to be able to post here more often. Anyway, old habits die hard and I'm mostly a fan of thrash, heavy, old school death, and doom/stoner. I have developed a penchant for more epic black metal lately as well.

You may think it strange that a member of the site for 18 years introduces himself on a newbie thread, but I've never introduced myself properly. The individuals who I used to interact with at the start have seemed to disappear for the most part -- either that, or I have forgotten who they were. My username is pretty indicative of who I was when I registered -- a Metallica fanboy. I still love Metallica's classic output, and I think their last couple have been worth listening to. I'll stop now.

Sincerely,
An old fuck.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 am 

Ktulu wrote:
All, hello.

As you can tell by my registration date, I'm not really a newbie. I've been around since the start -- the Boris years and all that, but I never engaged much. I used to have reviews up but I deleted them all in a bit of a /ragequit but most of them weren't any good anyway. I lost touch with this site over the last ten to fifteen years because I wasn't listening to any new music, so I didn't have much reason to post. Since 2018 though, I've made a conscious effort to listen to new bands, albums, etc. and it's been a very enjoyable experience. As such, I hope to be able to post here more often. Anyway, old habits die hard and I'm mostly a fan of thrash, heavy, old school death, and doom/stoner. I have developed a penchant for more epic black metal lately as well.

You may think it strange that a member of the site for 18 years introduces himself on a newbie thread, but I've never introduced myself properly. The individuals who I used to interact with at the start have seemed to disappear for the most part -- either that, or I have forgotten who they were. My username is pretty indicative of who I was when I registered -- a Metallica fanboy. I still love Metallica's classic output, and I think their last couple have been worth listening to. I'll stop now.

Sincerely,
An old fuck.
I remember you quite well from back in the day. Only a few names actually stick out in my head. I had one account older than this one and switched to another name after I got back from deployment in the military. No idea what those other screen names were. I have been a regular poster under various names since 2002/2003 timeframe. Almost everyone from when we started here has been banned or left. Always cool to see someone from way back when posting here.

Forcep
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 am 

Hi, everybody!
I am Italian and I live gothic metal. I hope we get on well!
See you

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:43 pm 

What are some gothic metal bands you like?

Potiron23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 am 

Hi. Im from Canada. Im mostly a black metal and death metal fan. I think Canada has a great metal scene. This site is nice as it allows me to discover new bands from all over the world I never would have discovered anywhere else. Cheers.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 am 

Potiron23 wrote:
Hi. Im from Canada. Im mostly a black metal and death metal fan. I think Canada has a great metal scene. This site is nice as it allows me to discover new bands from all over the world I never would have discovered anywhere else. Cheers.

What part of Canada are you from?

Potiron23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:15 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Potiron23 wrote:

Montreal, Quebec. How about you, what region of Ontario are you from? Have a nice day.

Lord Shadow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:44 pm 

Hi I'm from the Texas, United States. I enjoy Black, Death, and Doom are my favorites but I do enjoy other genres as well. I hope everyone has a great day and see you all around.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am 

Potiron23 wrote:
jimbies wrote:
Potiron23 wrote:

Montreal, Quebec. How about you, what region of Ontario are you from? Have a nice day.

The North!
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:29 pm 

Hey, everyone.

Not a newbie, registered a long time ago, and even posted fairly regularly for a while.

Lately I've been reading the forum a lot, seeing a lot of discussions I'd like to take part in, so I figured I'd introduce myself properly.

Another reason is that I'd like to write some reviews, but I'm not making any promises. But if I do, I'd also like to be able to discuss them, as well as other's reviews, of course.

Anyway, hope we have some interesting discussions.

(Sorry for the cumbersome nickname, "Wahn" was already taken.)

EDIT: Updated the profile.

fifimcfeef
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 am 

Hello there.

My name is fifimcfeef and I'm a brand new user to your site.

I'm from the Los Angeles area, and my favorite radio station is 95.5, which is the local classic rock station.

I came here to discuss heavy metal, look into my collection, and improve my tastes. [I mostly buy digital downloads, but I'm still cool with CD's.]

nervoso
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:36 pm 

Hi there. I'm nervoso. I'm from Melbourne, Australia.
Been listening to a lot of metal for the past few years or so. Stuff's good.

I listen to a lot of metal/mathcore with a bit of grind (big into hardcore). I also enjoy sludge, stoner, doom and a bit of prog. Right now I'm listening to Brave Murder Day.
My favourite band outside of metal would likely be Slint, but in metal it'd be out of Botch, Isis, Electric Wizard, Converge and Neurosis. Can't decide.

I'm an aspiring guitarist and I signed up here so I could broaden my horizons and explore other genres and bands. I acknowledge that my tastes will change, and I'm all for it. I'm here for the ride- I want to learn and discover as much as possible.
There aren't many large, active forums around these days so I'm glad to be here. They're a lot different to social media; communication is generally much less crude and concise, and in a place like this there are bound to be many oldies and veterans of the scene keeping long-forgotten bands alive, which is great.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. I'll see you guys around.

theprisonofmirrors
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:01 am 

Not new to metal, new to Metal Archives though.

I enjoy music from most metal subgenres but lately I've been listening to a lot of doom metal. Bands like Saint Vitus, Burning Witch, Chrch, Servants of The Mist, etc are stuff I've been listening to a lot. Right now I am listening to the album Deep Dark Red by the funeral doom band Until Death Takes Me. I also dig a lot of black metal (hence the Xasthur-inspired username), I mostly like raw black metal, especially stuff from the LLN scene like Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes. Well that's all I got to say today, hope everyone reading this has a great day.

~Guest 1149616
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:06 pm 

Hello everyone, made this account to post about heavy metal and heavy metal themed cookbooks.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 pm 

Chaos Servant wrote:
Hello everyone, made this account to post about heavy metal and heavy metal themed cookbooks.

Hey, Chaos, welcome to MA. I'm actually interested in the metal-themed cookbooks, as I've never seen one before. Would love to see those! :wink:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156  Next