Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm 

I was messing around with my new mp3 player when I heard my uncle playing some music, that he said was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. Among usual rock instruments, they played banjos, fiddles, and acordians in the song. I looked them up on wikipedia for a general idea of what they could be labeled as and were considered "celtic punk".

On the radio a little while back, I also heard "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly and found they fit the same description of the genre. I'm starting to check them out again. What do the metalheads think of this strain of punk?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 am 

I absolutely love the Dropkick Murphys. I got into them years ago when they released their "Sing loud, Sing Proud" album.
Every album since then was and is brilliant!
If you like that kind of music check out The Pogues for a more trad. celtic folk sound (basically they have a punk attitude but don't play punk music) and the Canadian guys from The Real McKenzies.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:31 am 

I've quite fond of the Murphys, and "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" is probably my favourite of their songs.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:40 pm 

Dropkick Murphys are ok. I get kinda tired of them after a short while. I really like Flogging Molly. All their stuff is original, unlike DKM (who do a lot of covers of old Irish tunes). They are punky in that they are fast but they don't really play traditional punk rock (aside from the speed). Lyrically, to me, they have more of a folk feel. The songs seem more personal. "Swagger" is a really great album. The Pogues are cool. The first 3 albums are strong, after that there was some burnout because of substance abuse and some members of the band wanting to move away from Irish music and I don't care for them as much. The Tossers, out of Chicago, are also good. They are probably somewhere between the Pogues and Flogging Molly. Lots of attitude like the Pogues, tend to play really fast, but don't really approach traditional punk rock like DKM does.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:40 pm 

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238125

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 pm 

Honestly, I find it pretty boring. Dropkick Murphy's are the acception though. Seeing them live was an awesome night.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 am 

I've seen some Czech bands playing in that style, unfortunately I don't remember the names of the bands.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:07 am 

Check out the Dreadnoughts, they're one of my fave celtic punk bands and also one of the funniest and most awesome live bands I've ever seen. Also Siobhan, whose singer is the same guy as in the Dreads. Wellfare State is a great, catchy and fun as hell celtic punk album. Their previous stuff is excelent Pogues worship, also.
If you're not bothered by political lyrics, I strongly recommend Roaring Jack for some wonderful 80s sounding folk punk. These guys are criminally underrated and are quite possibly my all time favorite celtic punk band. The solo stuff by singer Alistair Hulett, while not punk at all is also great folk music if you can find it on the internet.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 am 

I saw 'Walk Away' video on telly one day and bought the album 'Blackout' on the next. I was instantly hooked. Took some time to get their every album. None of the older or newer ones haven't left similar mark to me than 'Blackout'. Nothing bad, however, hehe. Their drummer is an insane Maiden fan, sometimes plays gigs wearing a Maiden soccer shirt. Aye to that! By the way, their DVD is fucking great!

The Tossers' 'Agony' album is my only one from them. It if filled with great drinking songs.

Need to check out other bands mentioned here... I don't listen to other punk (or "punk") than these bands.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:07 pm 

Funny thing, I had Flogging Molly's Devil's Dance Floor stuck in my head the day this thread was created. I knew about Dropkick Murphys, The Pogues, and The Tossers, but I'm definitely going to have to revisit their stuff and check out the others mentioned here.

Vaalkaar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:46 pm 

I'm going to have to check out some of the other bands named here. I've been listening to DKM and Flogging Molly for some time now, although I tend to like Flogging Molly more. Their songs have a more traditional folk sound they're just played at punk speed (except the slow songs obviously.) Overall I'd say listening to celtic punk is a pretty damn good time. Drunken Lullabies is one of the best drinking songs I've ever heard.

hnv1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:26 pm 

DKM have some nice tunes like "Johny I hardly know ya

it's a cool genre I liked it not every folk rockmetalpunk genre has a good feel to it. I like the pegan
ordicceltic touch but I dislike the oriental touch

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:11 am 

Lane wrote:
None of the older or newer ones haven't left similar mark to me than 'Blackout'.

Same, Blackout was definitely their best.

As far as celtic punk goes you must check out The Pogues, since they pioneered the genre, I'd also recommend The Tossers and The Vandon Arms.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 am 

I do like the Pogues, but I don't hear much punk in their music, unless you consider just angry music to be punk. I also like the Men They Couldn't Hang, who are sometimes also grouped in with the Pogues stylistically.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm 

here's a rather unusual style of Folk Punk from the Bretagne using a "Bombarde" instead of the "standard" celtic instruments. Sounds rather squeaky and giving a more medieval feel but somehow it's cool ;-)

Les Ramoneurs de Menhirs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pJ4Pri ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NiAIXeC ... re=related

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:21 pm 

I have only heard one album by Dropkick Murphy's, "The Warrior's Code" (which after hearing "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" in "The Departed", I felt compelled to purchase), but I like it quite well.

I've heard a few Flogging Molly tracks as well, and have generally liked them.

This is my only real exposure to the Celtic punk genre, but it has been favorable.

nightoftheghouls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 pm 

Black 47 and The Real McKenzies are great

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 am 

I read that Roaring Jack singer, Alistair Hulett died last week because of a cancer. There goes one of my all time favorite musicians, a truly wonderful singer and songwriter.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:07 am 

My favourite non-metal band is currently The Pogues. Some of their stuff is kinda punky, or at least similar to Dropkick Murphey's. Shane is the most disgusting man alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQyAvTHFK0&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUeeZK_FDsw

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:52 am 

Razakel wrote:
My favourite non-metal band is currently The Pogues. Some of their stuff is kinda punky, or at least similar to Dropkick Murphey's. Shane is the most disgusting man alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQyAvTHFK0&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUeeZK_FDsw

Fuck yeah, those two are my two favorite songs from Rum, Sodomy & The Lash (along with A pair of brown eyes, but it's not that punky). I've gotten quite a lot into celtic punk the last couple years and that album in particular is possibly among my most played records of this past year.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 pm 

First EP and CD are cool, I call it Oi!

Shouldn't play it to often though.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:29 pm 

Check out Gaelic Storm. Their songs have folkish and ska-ish overtones.

http://www.myspace.com/gaelicstorm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.