Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
anticimex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:09 am 

We all know of Siege and Napalm Death but I would actually say swedish punkband Asocial demo from 1980... Discharge where around at the time and sounded a bit more brutal, but Asocial was much faster...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUCJeUpWlQ

When talking about Asocial they even blastbeated in 1982!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ab_zdpLWs

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:33 am 

I'm sure what Swans were doing in the early 80s (Filth, Cop...) was among the most extreme, brutal music that was being done at the time. Hell, it still is today, nearly 30 years later.

anticimex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm 

I checked it out on Youtube and it was quite awesome, and I usually don't like slow music but that was very special! I liked the song Stay Here

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 pm 

early Killing Joke ("What's THIS For...!" 1981, "Revelations" 1982)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 pm 

It certainly isn't going to be any rock-based band, that's for sure. Probably something from the early musique concrete era of the late 40s-50s.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:30 pm 

I have to say that I think early Swans is a bit too brash and noisy for me, but I do like some of their material.

I think magma is a pretty extreme band. I guess many wouldnt' agree with me. Still, I've often imagined some of their pieces coming across pretty well in a death metal format. "Mekanikdestruktiwkommandoh" is certainly far from easy on the ears, especially for the uninitiated.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I have to say that I think early Swans is a bit too brash and noisy for me, but I do like some of their material.

In 2010, people still hold this opinion. There we have it, folks. I'll also put forward acts like Nurse With Wound. One track on their first album was just Steven Stapleton screaming in a high pitched voice, playing some pretty bad guitar solos with some feedback and drones in the background. That was '79. A lot of their works are really, really out there, even for avant-garde.

shockwaverider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 pm 

I think Terveet Kädet in 1980 beats Asocial in 1980, in fact TK's output between 80-83 (basically their first 3 ep's and first lp) is some of the best and yes, most extreme hardcore... ever. Nothing against Asocial, though, fantastic band, although I don't appreciate their "metal" stuff as much. Also check out United Mutation and Void, as well as Die Kreuzen's first lp for hardcore bands that were ahead of their time.

In the late 70's a lot of the post-punk stuff coming out in the UK and the US still holds up as being pretty extreme, though generally more out of sheer fucked up-ness than for actual brutality, Annie Anxiety or Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, for example.

Earlier still would be a band called Cromagnon, whose album Orgasm came out in 1969 and features tape loops, sampling and a lot of screaming.

SkullfulOfSludge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:23 pm 

In the teens and twenties, Italian futurist composer Luigi Russolo was making music based on noisemaking machines.

Look up Die Kunst Der Geräusche [german for "The Art of Noise", the name of the Italian futurist manifesto]

(download a recording of a 2003 performance of his works here: http://www.mediafire.com/?08y22r06m1t)

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 pm 

I think extremeness in music is very subjective, even more so than heaviness. I'm sure people have been making noisy music with yelling for thousands of years.

If we're talking about metal, the first band that could possibly pass as extreme would be Venom, but personally I think Death/Mantas would be a good place to start, but some thrash like Possessed could also be considered extreme.. If we're talking about music, I'm sure it's lost in time.

SonsOfLilith
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm 

I like to think of Death and Sepultura as some of the earliest extreme metal bands outside of thrash. Again, this is just an opinion so don't spaz out on me.

...bitches...

|Facebook | Myspace

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:42 am 

I'm going to have to throw in 'The Velvet Underground', they were very extreme for their time, the first two albums are very good examples of this. Also 'The Monks' they are from around the same time. Both of these bands have a strange mix between proto and post punk in their sounds.

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:58 am 

I would have to go for The Birthday Party in terms of extreme. Not as chaotic as hardcore bands mentioned before but sure is dissonant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlS4BwTUQw

Junkyard was released in 1982

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 am 

^ Did you know Rowland Howard (their guitarist) died a couple of weeks ago? It's really sad, he was getting a second wind a musician before he died and he used to play excellent, cheap gigs in Melbourne a lot.

It's hard to tell though with a lot of 60's and to some extent 70's bands, because the recording norms normally really neutralize any rough sound they have, so live recordings are normally a better indication of how extreme they were. A good example of this are the Butterflied Blues Band, their recordings are fairly smooth, but they had a really rough treblely, screeching sound when they played live.

I'm going to have to throw Bob Dylan in here for this reason too, some of his live performances are really punky or heavy, particularly during the 65/66 virgin electric trinity tours.

Bob Dylan with 'The Band': Like a Rolling Stone (Live from Albert Hall 1966)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OWYbZzD7lM

Bob Dylan with The Butterflied Blues Band (live 1965 from Newport Folk Festival)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VslTyc1gBbY

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 am 

Affliction wrote:
^ Did you know Rowland Howard (their guitarist) died a couple of weeks ago? It's really sad, he was getting a second wind a musician before he died and he used to play excellent, cheap gigs in Melbourne a lot.

Yeah, heard about it. It's such a shame. Man, I wish I had taken the opportunity to see him play live.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 am 

Rowland S. Howard was awesome, I like his stuff with These Immortal Souls and his solo stuff too (but better with a full band than just him alone with his guitar), but it never really got that extreme, maybe as hard as hard gothic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orH3GBNY ... re=related

Anyways, back to the topic, I have heard late '70s/ early 80s Finnish metal and it is cool, but not really that extreme, punk stuff like Kaaos was more extreme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSdZXp8t8Q

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 am 

I'd just like to make a quick mention that Siege is better than you and any bands you like.

CONFORM. :headbang:

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I'd just like to make a quick mention that Siege is better than you and any bands you like.

CONFORM. :headbang:

Dropdead is such a gem, something whenever i put on i can't not listen to the whole thing, I love that release.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

meganerd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm 

Can't have a thread like this without throwing in early DRI (Dirtiest, Rottonest...). For my money though, Discharge's "hear nothing..." is what broke the mold of "normal" music, even if it isn't particularly fast.

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:07 pm 

For metal, Vulcano is a good one to add.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 pm 

shockwaverider wrote:

Earlier still would be a band called Cromagnon, whose album Orgasm came out in 1969 and features tape loops, sampling and a lot of screaming.

This was what I was going to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPiO_G-DEHs (black/folk metal elements way back in 1969)

Anything more extreme than that from that time period or earlier would have to be something way outside the blues/country/rock mold of 50's/60's pop music. Something like this, for example, from 1960:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBVYhyXU8o

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 am 

I remember listening to that Cromagnon album, and there was a track consisting of only something like the sound of someone screaming or being tortured.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:25 am 

Negative Approach offcourse. Siege. The Neos. Dorsal Atlantica. There was another band like Siege... can't find it now...

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 am 

Probably Bad Brains

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:02 am 

rexxz wrote:
It certainly isn't going to be any rock-based band, that's for sure. Probably something from the early musique concrete era of the late 40s-50s.

Wasn't serialism even earlier? Don't know if that works as extreme, but it sure as hell qualifies as "extremely unpleasant".

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:03 am 

Affliction wrote:
I'm going to have to throw in 'The Velvet Underground', they were very extreme for their time, the first two albums are very good examples of this.

Agreed. I rate the debut very highly. It's one of my favourite 60's releases. Need to give White Light, White Heat another spin though.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 am 

Sister Ray sticks out to me particularly, I guess in one way it's fairly standard psychedelia, but in another most of it from that time is very nice, airy and smooth sounding where as Sister Ray is very harsh.

Plus Lou Reed took some pretty big steps as far as bringing the smut and sleaze to rock n' roll too. Jagger did it a lot as well, but he don't get no transvestite prostitutes and sailors dressed in pink and leather.

shadowkrang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:26 pm 

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Stooges

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 pm 

Cyanamid from New Jersey. They were using blast beats in 1982.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am 

Univers Zero's album, Heresie, had some pretty brutal death growls.

Their music is also the foundation for Demilich. Check them out.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:43 am 

shadowkrang wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Stooges

Yeah, I don't think there had been anything like Raw Power before it. A huge step for both hard rock and punk in my opinion.

I think as far as post-rock n' roll goes early proto punk bands would have to take the cake in this thread as far as over all sound goes.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am 

shockwaverider wrote:
I think Terveet Kädet in 1980 beats Asocial in 1980, in fact TK's output between 80-83 (basically their first 3 ep's and first lp) is some of the best and yes, most extreme hardcore... ever.

There was a LOT happening in Finland and Sweden in the early eighties with punk and hardcore. Shitlickers, Tampere SS, Kaaos, The Varukers, Anti Cimex, Mob47 and such.

Bezerko wrote:
I'd just like to make a quick mention that Siege is better than you and any bands you like.CONFORM. :headbang:

Siege rules. Clearly

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 am 

Stravinsky.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 am 

morbert wrote:
shockwaverider wrote:
I think Terveet Kädet in 1980 beats Asocial in 1980, in fact TK's output between 80-83 (basically their first 3 ep's and first lp) is some of the best and yes, most extreme hardcore... ever.

There was a LOT happening in Finland and Sweden in the early eighties with punk and hardcore. Shitlickers, Tampere SS, Kaaos, The Varukers, Anti Cimex, Mob47 and such.

Bezerko wrote:
I'd just like to make a quick mention that Siege is better than you and any bands you like.CONFORM. :headbang:

Siege rules. Clearly

Yeah Varukers, Subhumans , Crucifix, Youth Brigade, Dead kennedys, The Exploited and Bad Religion are my earliest songs :)

Siege, Negative Approach are heavier though. The Neos faster :D

You really hear the hardcore in the Asocial demo but I do think Exploited are a bit heavier in 1980:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aroTwW-suPA

Varukers '81:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtRztuzgqsc

Youth Brigade in '82:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td9j3UWthHo

Negative Approach in '82:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwBm0FsCJOM

And here's a link of the Neos - End All Discrimination 1982:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nig10tdo1a1

It's THE FASTEST BAND!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:23 pm 

And we're forgetting the Boston scene: Negative FX, SS Decontrol, Outpatients, Deep Wound, DYS along with Siege.

Great bands well worth checking out!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 am 

Aw man this topic made me pick up some demo's and early singles I didn't get before. Take The Subhumans - 1982 - Reason for Existence for example, awesome!!! Also Crass - The Feeding of the 5000 (1978).

HollowedGround
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 am 

I am amazed noone mentioned them yet, but Angel Witch had a release as early as 78, and were extreme for their time. Also (obviously) Venom, and Mercyful Fate. Enough said.

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 am 

Wow, no mentions of Throbbing Gristle yet? From their earliest incarnation as COUM Transmissions in the mid-late 60's, I'd say they probably have a tenuous grasp on the earliest extreme band. Granted, they were mostly sound/performance/transgressive art and not really noisy until the 70's, but taking the shock & directness from dada and stripping it of most of its flippancy and replacing with much more morbid sensitivities, they're probably the earliest example of what fits the current definition of extreme (and how much more so with the definition then).

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
Also Crass - The Feeding of the 5000 (1978).

Can't go wrong with Crass & their trademark noise-drone rhythm guitars. If you like Feeding, Stations of the Crass is also fucking fantastic, but for their more 'out there' extreme stuff, Yes Sir I Will is incredibly heavy in a non-musical way, as well as their final release 10 Notes On A Summerday.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 am 

I love Swans. Easily the most intense band I know of.

I have to mention the Novas: there an old rockabilly group that essentially invented the death growl.

Hasil Adkins is amazingly rough and energetic. I know some who claim he invented punk.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next