Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:42 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
"But Nigel..." (note: this is what Hicks said, clearly he wasn't a Judas Priest fan)

I always thought it was a Spinal Tap reference.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:00 am 

299796kms wrote:

Not only was this guy not funny, but he's clearly never listened to Slayer in his life and he absolutely sucks at playing the guitar.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 am 

Insolent_Heretic wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:

Damn, beat me to it. This guy is fucking hilarious, imo.

Yeah haha. I don't really think that this was his best material, even though it was him talking about metal which fits the threads criteria. However, his other stuff (even stuff that is from that stand up routine) is hilarious.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:18 am 

On Hicks vs. Leary, Bill did acknowledge that Denis ripped him off on numerous bits as well as certain components of his character. It's somewhat comparable to Exhorder vs. Pantera as it definitely seems like Pantera emulated their sound, but there's always that doubt. Denis' humour has always been based on the premise that he's constantly outraged and on-edge, but certainly can't compare to Bill Hicks when it came to subtleties, frustration at higher powers, profound and poignant messages (which weren't necessarily funny per se, but were arguably the best parts of his act) and his intelligent, logical take on things. While Denis has avoided lung cancer, never had to quit drinking, has been the star of TV shows and movies, created one of the most popular comedy songs of all time and has even written what is often considered a great book, Hicks has influenced many comedians regardless of political affiliation (he arguably influenced the great George Carlin's run into the '90s, and even inspired older guys like Lewis Black), his shows and CDs still remain relevant and despite being dead for 16 (!) years he's still relevant, funny and is considered one of the most legendary comics of all time. Bill Hicks may not have ever "made it", but Jesus Christ he was 32 when he died and the bulk of his material that you can acquire covers what, five years? I've grown a little tired of his work, but it's still impressive all things considered.

Oh, that wasn't the point of the thread. Well, while Hicks did bash Priest and metalheads in general with his bit, he still defended "Satanic" music. Also on one or more occasions, he went on stage to Enter Sandman.

Henry Rollins is great. By the time Diabolus in Musica came out he claimed that Slayer was a band that never changed which I, as well as many others, really disagree with especially considering that he's a musician. Nevertheless, I agree with his take on Iron Maiden and if he isn't funny... well, he's not a guy that has to be. He does spoken word in front of crowds as well as spoken albums with or without background music, and he really is a great orator. He doesn't have jokes or punchlines. He can just go on for hours without getting boring and has a lot of interesting stories to tell, and he is funny: oftentimes he'll begin a topic and he'll segue into some tangent which lasts half an hour and you forget what he was even talking about in the first place. By the time it ends, he'll go "...so, anyway" and go right back to where he left off. It's hilarious, and people eat it up. His live stuff is mostly not so serious, but something like Everything is just fucking amazing. It's a guy talking in front of jazz music, and he's completely serious and he manages to never drone on or get boring.

One of the funniest bits Rollins ever did was about when you're a young gentleman and you get dumped by the girl you loved. You get in your room, write really bad, embarassing poetry and loathe in your depression and sadness. But then you say "fuck her, man!" and listen to Walk Away by Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio, and then sing along to Falling Off The Edge Of The World with a celery stick in your hand and one foot on the table. I was pissing myself first time I heard that.

One of my favourite comedians, Jim Norton is an OBSESSED Black Sabbath and Ozzy fan and will defend them to the death. He has pictures with himself and Sabbath at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame which are hilarious because Ward and Ozzy have this look of "I don't want to take this picture" on their faces.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Poseihn does suck quite a bit. The guy rambles on about how "screamo" or whateverthefuck is "false metal" while being a loyal fan of Slipknot.

It's true, but he also likes some decent bands as well.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 am 

Doesn't really matter that he likes some good bands. If you're going to be all "DEATH TO FALSE METAL RAAAR!" you're going to look like a massive hypocrite if you are also a big fan of nu-metal.

Besides, since when is screamo "false metal"? It's not a genre that has any pretentions to being metal at all.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:02 am 

Doesn't really matter that he likes some good bands. If you're going to be all "DEATH TO FALSE METAL RAAAR!" you're going to look like a massive hypocrite if you are also a big fan of nu-metal.

Besides, since when is screamo "false metal"? It's not a genre that has any pretentions to being metal at all.

Posehn comes from a time when false metal did not apply to nu metal, because nu metal didn't exist. That doesn't mean he isn't wrong, but it's easy to see how he thinks.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 am 

I was still agreeing that he looks like a complete tool, given his overall taste in music.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:15 am 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:

Posehn comes from a time when false metal did not apply to nu metal, because nu metal didn't exist. That doesn't mean he isn't wrong, but it's easy to see how he thinks.

Then why is he attacking screamo, which didn't really exist then either?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:19 am 

The answer is that Posehn is an idiot, when it comes to music.

But I think the logic that the other poster is referring to is the fact that because Screamo did not exist, Posehn is associating those acts with trying to play metal, since he does not have any knowledge concerning where Screamo comes from.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 am 

Because he doesn't like it. He just happened to like nu metal.

Imagine if 10 years from now a new fad metal genre surfaced, and you liked it. You might have spent your entire past hating on nu metal and deathcore, waving the true metal flag, but the next fad you just happen to legitimately enjoy. Sticky situation.

Then, another 10 years later, you hate the next fad metal genre. Even stickier.

That's what happened to this guy.

Insolent_Heretic
Torus Map Coloring Theorem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:54 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
I thought it was established that was just a rumor. In the press release regarding Jim Carrey's daughter marrying some metal singer, I remember hearing something along the lines that he had never heard of Cannibal Corpse before, and that he didn't care for/enjoy the band.

Well that's strange, in Centuries of Torment they say he had a few songs that he suggested for them to play. And how could you not know the band you messed around in a movie with?

The full scene from Ace Ventura http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iv3HqRJP3w

There were photos and such on centuries of torment of Carret talking to the band.

and yet this is a comment on one of those videos:
"For years, people have said that Jim Carrey is a big Cannibal Corpse fan.
Well, Jim's son-in-law (who is in a death metal band, coincidentally) has ended that rumour:
"It's the first thing I asked when I first met him. Jim hates death metal". "

This is definately confusing.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:06 am 

The son-in-law is in this band, by the way:

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540257064

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm 

Insolent_Heretic wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
I thought it was established that was just a rumor. In the press release regarding Jim Carrey's daughter marrying some metal singer, I remember hearing something along the lines that he had never heard of Cannibal Corpse before, and that he didn't care for/enjoy the band.

Well that's strange, in Centuries of Torment they say he had a few songs that he suggested for them to play. And how could you not know the band you messed around in a movie with?

The full scene from Ace Ventura http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iv3HqRJP3w

There were photos and such on centuries of torment of Carret talking to the band.

and yet this is a comment on one of those videos:
"For years, people have said that Jim Carrey is a big Cannibal Corpse fan.
Well, Jim's son-in-law (who is in a death metal band, coincidentally) has ended that rumour:
"It's the first thing I asked when I first met him. Jim hates death metal". "

This is definitely confusing.

I was under the impression that Napalm Death were JC's fave band.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm 

Because he doesn't like it. He just happened to like nu metal.

Imagine if 10 years from now a new fad metal genre surfaced, and you liked it. You might have spent your entire past hating on nu metal and deathcore, waving the true metal flag, but the next fad you just happen to legitimately enjoy. Sticky situation.

Then, another 10 years later, you hate the next fad metal genre. Even stickier.

That's what happened to this guy.

I'd have to agree, and for the record he doesn't like nu metal (Slipknot might be the one exception, like it is for some members here). Besides, he doesn't really talk about metal all that much and he's funny as hell.

EDIT: 700th post!

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 am 

Lepernicus wrote:
299796kms wrote:

Not only was this guy not funny, but he's clearly never listened to Slayer in his life and he absolutely sucks at playing the guitar.

I'll hear no bad words against Bill Bailey. He is fucking hilarious. Although, I'll have to admit that that little bit on Slayer is pretty off the mark.

- Tim Minchin

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 am 

Agreed. He may have fucked up his Slayer bit, but he's funny as hell otherwise. Any who doubt this must go watch the entire series of Black Books.

SteelCranium
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am 

Unorthodox wrote:

Fuck 'im.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 am 

Agreed. He may have fucked up his Slayer bit, but he's funny as hell otherwise. Any who doubt this must go watch the entire series of Black Books.

And some of his other stand up stuff.

This is hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLexP6SCjk4

- Tim Minchin

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 am 

SteelCranium wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:

Fuck 'im.

That was utterly pitiful stand-up. Where's the content? Jokes, maybe? People actually sat there and laughed at that same death-metal-gibberish "lyric" for about 3 fucking minutes. Every time he did it they laughed. It amazes and stupefies that I used to like one of his bits as a teen.

Apparently, all you need to do to be a stand-up now is to make sound effects and do the world's worst male impersonation of a female ever (he uses the same female voice for all his bits). I guess he was looking for extra credit on this one, which was still as simple as tacking on references to the cookie monster and Jabba the Hut for "jokes" about death metal (like this hasn't been done before) and making tired jokes about piercings. Tada! A fucking ovation from the crowd.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Carquar_Quarcon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 pm 

Vlachos:

"One of the funniest bits Rollins ever did was about when you're a young gentleman and you get dumped by the girl you loved. You get in your room, write really bad, embarassing poetry and loathe in your depression and sadness. But then you say "fuck her, man!" and listen to Walk Away by Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio, and then sing along to Falling Off The Edge Of The World with a celery stick in your hand and one foot on the table. I was pissing myself first time I heard that."

How would I search for that? Is that a comedy bit or one of his songs? I've looked but can't find anything.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:

This is hilarious:

*scratches Bill Bailey's name off of the "comedians to check out list"*

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm 

Carquar_Quarcon wrote:
Vlachos:

"One of the funniest bits Rollins ever did was about when you're a young gentleman and you get dumped by the girl you loved. You get in your room, write really bad, embarassing poetry and loathe in your depression and sadness. But then you say "fuck her, man!" and listen to Walk Away by Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio, and then sing along to Falling Off The Edge Of The World with a celery stick in your hand and one foot on the table. I was pissing myself first time I heard that."

How would I search for that? Is that a comedy bit or one of his songs? I've looked but can't find anything.

It's one of his spoken word bits, and oh god I can't for the life of me remember which one of his CDs it's from. It might even be from one that's virtually impossible to find a physical copy of. I suggest searching for and downloading his albums; he has a lot of them.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

This is hilarious:

Your loss.

- Tim Minchin

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:08 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

This is hilarious:

lol usually he is good though im not a huge fan of what his entire bit there

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 am 

I haven't seen much of Bailey, but doesn't most of his stand-up repertoire and appeal rely on his unique improv and adlibbing ability? A lot of comics don't have great material, but they're just funny people.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:34 am 

You guys didn't like the cockney music bit? Was a cracking hit with my friends.

Well, he is good at improvising, but I wouldn't say that his stand up relies on it. He mostly uses it to interact with the crowd and to recover from when he slips up on his written routine (which isn't often and usually only him stumbling on a word). I find that his written material is highly entertaining and some of it is quite clever (like his pub jokes). When combined with how funny he is in person, the guy's routines are great fun.

Still, we might be getting a little bit off track here, as far as the thread is concerned.

- Tim Minchin

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am 

Just saw the Henry Rollins bit on Iron Maiden....

it started off well enough, but it just got worse as the video progressed.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 am 

Bill bailey's hatred of Chris DeBurg or whatever his name is definitely his strongest assest. He was pretty off with Slayer for sure, but otherwise he is a very good comedian. Black books is still better than his stand up though.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Black books is still better than his stand up though.

I'll give you that, but only just!

- Tim Minchin

fleshf8
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 am 

i seen Jim Brewer mentioned but i didn't see any links posted. but this is fuckin hilarious, some of the funniest shit i've heard. sorry if it's a repost.

pt1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3m6RM_PTLg

pt2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59xskijoM-g

never gets old.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:

I was under the impression that Napalm Death were JC's fave band.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:44 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Wow, watching more Henry Rollins videos and he is pretty talentless, unfunny, and downright stupid. He does stuff on Slayer too, just as bad as the Iron Maiden stuff.

I don't mind much of his stories. He's more spoken word than comedy, really, but his delivery is dry.

Yeah, that's the way I always saw it. I think he tries to make it a bit funnier with his over the top delivery but I really love his Lebanon and Pakistan ones.

Plus let's not forget that Rollins was the guy who continually makes fun of Venom after he opened for them in 1986.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 pm 

Billy Connolly on christian rock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-WJO0YQLOs

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2