Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:18 am 

I dunno, man. I'm nearly done with the Endwalker pre-patch story, and it's been pretty ace so far. I love the FF4 shit, and I especially love the shit in Elpis.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:48 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I dunno, man. I'm nearly done with the Endwalker pre-patch story, and it's been pretty ace so far. I love the FF4 shit, and I especially love the shit in Elpis.

Overall I do like Endwalker, I just think it jumps a lot of sharks and overall feels lesser than the previous expansion.

Spoiler: show
-Spending so much time building up Zodiark as the Ultimate God of Destruction that the Ascians were truly working towards all this time just to have you nonchalantly Kill God on the Moon less than a third of the way through the story

-Emet-Selch being such a charming fan favorite that they just made him a good guy after all (please god FF just give me some good villains again)

-The whole Elpis section was beautiful but didn't work for me since the Ascians have been the bad guys since day one and Shadowbringers made it explicitly clear that their ultimate goal is at least 14 separate world-spanning genocides. I'm not gonna think "I dunno maybe they do have a point" just because Elpis is a paradise and Emet-Selch is nice to you and Hythlodeus is a cute twink.

-The Blasphemies are just Lightwardens again

-The fact that Dynamis has always been swirling around in the aether since the beginning of time but the minute you learn about its existence, it starts turning people into monsters whenever they "give in to despair", which functionally just means "whenever narratively convenient" (though admittedly this does lead to the absolute best moment of the entire expansion when Matsya is running through Thavnair during the Final Days with the baby after watching his parents being murdered by a Blasphemy, frantically singing and praying as Dynamis starts pouring out of the both of them as the world just crumbles in flames around them. That moment of sheer hopeless melancholy really did sell me on how real shit had gotten)

-Building a spaceship to fly to the literal edge of the universe just to watch all of your party members have a Heroic Sacrifice competition that you know is just gonna be reversed in twenty minutes anyway is such an insane escalation that is so on-its-face meaningless that it made the entire last area a massive fucking slog

-The climax is so cartoonishly preposterous that it'll make every future expansion feel like a step down anyway because how in the hell can you go "bigger and better" than "Fighting for the fate of the literal universe while at the intersection of a thousand universal genocides and winning with the power of friendship"

-Insisting that Zenos is some sort of equal-and-opposite mirror of yourself and trying so very hard to make him your hot boy bishie anime rival after he was already flawless as a ruthless, bloodthirsty commander in Stormblood and I absolutely hate that the entire arc of Hydaelyn vs Zodiark that everything was secretly about all along (until the last four levels of quests where it turns out NecronMeteion is the real threat but still she's gonna end existence so why the bait and switch at all) all has to end with you and Zenos literally fist bumping at the edge of time

I mean those aren't game-ending complaints or anything and there was a lot more that did like, but those are some of the reasons I think Endwalker isn't nearly as good as Shadowbringers.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that, if VIII didn't exist, IV would very easily be my least favorite of the classic era, so the fact that EW (and especially the few 6.x patches I was able to play before poverty won) takes so much heavy inspiration from it probably doesn't do it any favors for me. Feel free to read that bias into my complaints because I'm sure it's there.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
-The fact that Dynamis has always been swirling around in the aether since the beginning of time but the minute you learn about its existence, it starts turning people into monsters whenever they "give in to despair", which functionally just means "whenever narratively convenient".

To be fair, we're told that the thing that was protecting Etheirys from Meteion's barrage of dynamis was the aether shield that Zodiark provided (since the Ascians were immune to it while their creations and other low-aether beings, like us, were not). Not only did it keep the planet powered, it also protected against the dynamis storm. Then, we just had to be big damn heroes and blow up Zodiark because Fandaniel was gonna use it to blow up the world, anyway. The prick. So yeah, people turning into Berserk monsters happened as we learned about dynamis because, as it turns out, beating up Zodiark around the same time was probably not the wisest idea.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:21 am 

Quake 2 remaster is beautiful, and a really great package. Might be Night Dive studios best work yet. I'd buy those legends a pint.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:25 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Quake 2 remaster is beautiful, and a really great package. Might be Night Dive studios best work yet. I'd buy those legends a pint.

Aye, it is. And they've just announced a Turok 3 remaster, as well as STAR WARS DARK FORCES REMASTERED!!!!

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:02 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
-The fact that Dynamis has always been swirling around in the aether since the beginning of time but the minute you learn about its existence, it starts turning people into monsters whenever they "give in to despair", which functionally just means "whenever narratively convenient".

To be fair, we're told that the thing that was protecting Etheirys from Meteion's barrage of dynamis was the aether shield that Zodiark provided (since the Ascians were immune to it while their creations and other low-aether beings, like us, were not). Not only did it keep the planet powered, it also protected against the dynamis storm. Then, we just had to be big damn heroes and blow up Zodiark because Fandaniel was gonna use it to blow up the world, anyway. The prick. So yeah, people turning into Berserk monsters happened as we learned about dynamis because, as it turns out, beating up Zodiark around the same time was probably not the wisest idea.

You right. I completely forgot about that detail, lol. For as much as I love XIV (and all told Endwalker is still the second best expansion despite my complaints) the infodumps can be totally overwhelming at times and around the time the whole idea of needing crystals to summon Primals was just kinda dropped I admittedly stopped paying super close attention to the rules since they were obviously being written on the fly.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:37 am 

Is anyone else excited about Starfield? I've pre-ordered it so I can play it a few days before it's official release date, so from about September 2nd my time. I ordered the digital deluxe version so that'll give me the future DLC whenever that comes out. I know buying games day 1 is a risk, but I can't help but be excited for this. If they deliver what they say and there's no bugs/glitches, it has the potential to be game of the year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:26 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Is anyone else excited about Starfield? I've pre-ordered it so I can play it a few days before it's official release date, so from about September 2nd my time. I ordered the digital deluxe version so that'll give me the future DLC whenever that comes out. I know buying games day 1 is a risk, but I can't help but be excited for this. If they deliver what they say and there's no bugs/glitches, it has the potential to be game of the year.

I'm on the same boat. I'm really hyped and already preordered it. Just waiting for the pre-download to start playing on the second. It's Steam so if it's an unplayable mess I can always refund.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:22 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I'm on the same boat. I'm really hyped and already preordered it. Just waiting for the pre-download to start playing on the second. It's Steam so if it's an unplayable mess I can always refund.

Yeah, totally. I'll do the same if it's too buggy. I have faith it'll be in a playable state, though. Very much looking forward to finally delving into it after months of hype.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:13 am 

I'm sure most of you lads are really proficient game players....my kids play some games. My spot was back in the Goldeneye days on the N64....holy shit we had some great times/killing sessions. Sometimes we'd make a partition and divide the screen vertically and turn off the radars. Damn those were the days.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:45 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I'd like to, although I'm not sure what I'd play it on. I don't have the latest Xbox and the last time I tried buying a relatively new game on my laptop it was like trying to play a PowerPoint slideshow. I might be outta luck on this one lol.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:22 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I'd like to, although I'm not sure what I'd play it on. I don't have the latest Xbox and the last time I tried buying a relatively new game on my laptop it was like trying to play a PowerPoint slideshow. I might be outta luck on this one lol.

Hahaha well a PowerPoint isn't ideal. :D You'll get to see if it lives up to expectations before even being able to buy it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:53 am 

Over the past four weeks I've sunk around 100 hours into Baldur's Gate 3 and am now finally nearing the very end of the game. I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon tho, I've got my character for a second playthrough already lined up.

Absolutely fantastic RPG. I could easily see this on my list of favorite games ever.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:50 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Ezadara wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Hahaha well a PowerPoint isn't ideal. :D You'll get to see if it lives up to expectations before even being able to buy it.

I'll need to upgrade for sure if I'm going to be able to play it. I tend to just wait for these big games to be out a while anyway though due to glitches and bugs being at launch (especially with Bethesda games). I waited a year or so to get Fallout 4 so I could get all the additional content and mod support from Nexus to make the game run smoother. I'll probably do the same for Starfield and focus on my never-ending collection of games I've yet to play....

Speaking of my back collection of games I finally got to and finished Deus Ex Human Revolution. This game is yellow, like everything is yellow. This is probably the most yellow game out there everything looks like pee. I did a stealth run which extended the overall game time a bit due to trial and error learning but I still enjoyed exploring and using augmentations to do stuff. I will say the sidequests are lackluster, most just consist of talking to someone and going somewhere to collect something then running back just to run somewhere else to kill/pacify people then run all the way back again, real boring stuff. This was really annoying in China as that map was a massive pain to navigate compared to Detroit or the ship with the multiple areas and building levels to navigate. Still enjoyable game though 3.5/5

I'm playing the sequel now but I don't think I'm going to finish it. It's basically the same game but not as good. I don't feel compelled to play this one the story isn't that interesting and its more of the same, go here talk to this person then go here and kill this person blah blah.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:11 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Yeah, totally. I'll do the same if it's too buggy. I have faith it'll be in a playable state, though. Very much looking forward to finally delving into it after months of hype.

I just hope my card can move it decently. 3060ti ain0t bad but it isn't incredible either. I'm not aiming for much, just stable 60 fps at medium quality 1080p.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:03 pm 

So how about Armored Core VI? All the preview stuff made me excited as a PS2 era Armored Core fan (my username is taken from an enemy in one of the games), but unfortunately I'm saving money for a vacation out of the country very soon and it's unlikely I'll be able to play it until October. Has anyone else tried it and how's it been treating you all?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:33 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I just hope my card can move it decently. 3060ti ain0t bad but it isn't incredible either. I'm not aiming for much, just stable 60 fps at medium quality 1080p.

Same here. I have a 3080Ti and hoping for good performance. If you can get 60fps consistently, that will make your experience much better.

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Baldur's Gate 3

Wilytank wrote:
Armored Core VI

These are 2 games that are on my wishlist but I haven't purchased yet. Simply too many games to get through, but hopefully I'll get to them. I'm not familiar with earlier entries for these series, but these current games look quite good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:13 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Same here. I have a 3080Ti and hoping for good performance. If you can get 60fps consistently, that will make your experience much better.

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Baldur's Gate 3

Wilytank wrote:
Armored Core VI

These are 2 games that are on my wishlist but I haven't purchased yet. Simply too many games to get through, but hopefully I'll get to them. I'm not familiar with earlier entries for these series, but these current games look quite good.

Same!

Except I have a 1070 soooo gonna be on console :')

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:52 am 

To get myself psyched up for Baldur's Gate 3, I've started playing Dark Alliance for the first time in decades. Such simple hack-n-slash bliss.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:12 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
So how about Armored Core VI? All the preview stuff made me excited as a PS2 era Armored Core fan (my username is taken from an enemy in one of the games), but unfortunately I'm saving money for a vacation out of the country very soon and it's unlikely I'll be able to play it until October. Has anyone else tried it and how's it been treating you all?

I never played any of the other games.

The only reason I'm even remotely interested is because its FromSoft.

The reviews seem pretty good. I just don't know how interested I am in a mech fighting game.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:36 am 

I'm going to have to play BG3 on PlayStation, my PC won't be able to run it. But I'm waiting to hear comments on performance. I'm confident, I doubt they would drop the ball on such a massive release, but you never know, sometimes expertise doesn't translate well and leads to a bad port. People playing with a controller on PC are having a good time, mostly, so that's good.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:47 pm 

Eventually, I'll spring some cash to get Baldur's Gate 3 and Sea of Stars on my Switch. Maybe even the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection.

But that day is not today.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:38 pm 

I bought Armored Core VI 2 days ago, despite having never played a single game from the franchise, count me among the ' I bought this strictly cuz it's a FromSoft game. I did not have the chance to play much so far, but I did beat the tutorial boss (4 attempts) and I did the first 2 mission. I'm having a hell of a blast so far, the gameplay is quick and the controls are tight.
Fire walk with me"

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:48 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
I bought Armored Core VI 2 days ago, despite having never played a single game from the franchise, count me among the ' I bought this strictly cuz it's a FromSoft game. I did not have the chance to play much so far, but I did beat the tutorial boss (4 attempts) and I did the first 2 mission. I'm having a hell of a blast so far, the gameplay is quick and the controls are tight.

Awesome to hear.

It sounds like it's worth giving a shot.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

bjelkeman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:23 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Over the past four weeks I've sunk around 100 hours into Baldur's Gate 3 and am now finally nearing the very end of the game. I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon tho, I've got my character for a second playthrough already lined up.

Absolutely fantastic RPG. I could easily see this on my list of favorite games ever.

I have been taking it more slowly an I have two co-ops going and two different single play. I am not even close to the end of the first act. But the game is a blast.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:09 am 

Holy shit Blasphemous II was released. I didn’t even know it was happening.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:37 am 

I can't wait to get to Blasphemous 2 but I still have so much more goddamn Tears of the Kingdom to get through. I got addicted to exploring The Depths and haven't touched the main quest in ages. More than 100 hours in. Indescribably incredible game.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:31 pm 

Beat TOTK in 140 hrs. Took all summer. What an ending...

One of the first things I read about it said, "You will die. A lot." Quite true.

RegressionTherapy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:15 pm 

All I do is play Super Auto Pets and Atomicrops, alternating between the two. Thinking of re-downloading Fallout: New Vegas for the 100th time as well.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:38 am 

I've already put just under 50 hours of gameplay into Starfield. I still have a lot more to discover.

While there's some mixed reviews, Starfield has my support. Incredible, incredible game.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:47 am 

I am dual playing Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield. I have only about 40 minutes in SF, but it looks great. I went in with no real expectations and little knowledge of what to expect, so it'll be a real discovery. As for BG3, it's really good. I'm playing a warlock elf and having fun so far. The companions are really fun; Astarion might be my favorite companion in a game. The production values are through the roof.

Honestly I think I'll be more into BG3 than SF, but that's mostly because I tend to prefer fantasy over sci-fi.

I'm not sure when we had two such great games release at the same time. Horizon and Breath of the Wild and maybe Skyrim and Dark Souls?

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:51 am 

Anyone else excited for Lies of P? It's like Bloodborne but with robot Pinnochio. This might scratch my itch for soulslike games for a while.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
Anyone else excited for Lies of P? It's like Bloodborne but with robot Pinnochio. This might scratch my itch for soulslike games for a while.

I've never even heard of it, but it looks great.

Dear GOD are there ever a lot of games coming out all of a sudden that I want.

As a warning for people that aren't fools with their money like I am I did not enjoy Armored Core 6 like a lot of people did and with all the games coming out right now this is gonna take a back seat. In my brief play I found the controls to be a little frustrating to be honest and that first boss fight was annoying as hell.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:13 pm 

I have never owned a game or console.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:05 pm 

For the first time in my life, I have a nice computer! I've been playing Street Fighter 6 and I'm considering getting Armored Core. My only problem is my hard drive is like 250 gigs and modern games are fucking HUGE.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:38 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Honestly I think I'll be more into BG3 than SF, but that's mostly because I tend to prefer fantasy over sci-fi.

I'm the opposite, as I prefer sci-fi over fantasy, but Baldurs Gate 3 does look real good and one I might play in the future.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:21 am 

Baldur's Gate 3 consumed my entire weekend.

luis_punisher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:55 am 

I was just playing Chivalry 2, man this game is underrated. For those who don´t know, it is an online first person hack and slash based on medieval warfare, you can join a team up to 32 players against another team with the same number, it´s totally insane and a blast to play.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:46 pm 

Cloudy/rainy season just started, so it's time to play Skyrim for the 111st time

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:42 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Cloudy/rainy season just started, so it's time to play Skyrim for the 111st time

Gotta get it on PC this time. Playing Fallout 4 at the moment for the first time. Because my older PC was OLD. Now I can enjoy the past stuff. Like my music... I'm never on the news :lol:

Best game music ever on Skyrim. Probably, the best atmosphere too, generally. I played the PS3 version back in the day. I do not know if my brain works out modding, though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940  Next