Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 am 

PETERG wrote:
A documentary about the legendary Michael Schumacher just aired on Netflix. It is 2 hours long but it is captivating to say the least. It features a lot of material including his off track work, his dedication to Ferrari and some words from the other German champions Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg.

As a Schumi fan it was amazing to watch.

Oh thanks for the tip, will have to give that a go - be good to see more about him other than his racing, which while excellent could often be a bit 'close to the wire' in terms of sportsmanship !

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:26 am 

~Guest 361478 wrote:
PETERG wrote:
A documentary about the legendary Michael Schumacher just aired on Netflix. It is 2 hours long but it is captivating to say the least. It features a lot of material including his off track work, his dedication to Ferrari and some words from the other German champions Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg.

As a Schumi fan it was amazing to watch.

Oh thanks for the tip, will have to give that a go - be good to see more about him other than his racing, which while excellent could often be a bit 'close to the wire' in terms of sportsmanship !

Yep Michael did some questionable things over the years - most notably the disrespectful block on Barrichello in Hungary 2010.
To me it is amazing that both extremely clean drivers - like Raikkonen or Button - and extremely ruthless ones - Prost, Schumi, Senna - managed to become champions.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 am 

PETERG wrote:
Yep Michael did some questionable things over the years - most notably the disrespectful block on Barrichello in Hungary 2010.
To me it is amazing that both extremely clean drivers - like Raikkonen or Button - and extremely ruthless ones - Prost, Schumi, Senna - managed to become champions.

Another one - which was featured in the film - was the clearly inentional collision with Villeneuve on the last GP of 1997, for which he was stripped of all championship points that year.

That was his MO - do abolutely everything you can to win, doesn't matter if it's illegal. That includes also how he managed to make everyone in the Ferrari team do their best which resulted in the tem ascending from a podium contender in mid 90's to absolute dominance in the early 2000s.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:32 am 

mirons wrote:
PETERG wrote:

Another one - which was featured in the film - was the clearly inentional collision with Villeneuve on the last GP of 1997, for which he was stripped of all championship points that year.

That was his MO - do abolutely everything you can to win, doesn't matter if it's illegal. That includes also how he managed to make everyone in the Ferrari team do their best which resulted in the tem ascending from a podium contender in mid 90's to absolute dominance in the early 2000s.

I think that Ferrari's dominance lasted thanks to Brawn and Todt but Schumi was the one who ignited the fire in the minds of the Tifosi. Ferrari did not have a driver like that since Lauda. Even the legend Mansell was not as hungry for winning and Prost... well Prost behaved like a man-child and disrespected the team so kudos to them for sacking him.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 am 

3-0 is 3-0, but if the Raiders never had to face the Dolphins again I'd be much happier. Jon Gruden's situational playcalling is maddening though. He tends to get very conservative with just a one score lead, and it makes NO SENSE.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 am 

So, how about Jon Gruden turning out to be a shitbag? I already wanted him fired, but I didn't expect it to happen for at least 2-3 more years, and I certainly didn't expect this.

This also means they became arguably the most attractive destination for the next hot head coaching prospect. The defense has been solid this year, and they're basically a forward-thinking playcaller and an two offensive linemen away from being an extremely good team. The QB and skill positions are excellent!

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:11 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
So, how about Jon Gruden turning out to be a shitbag? I already wanted him fired, but I didn't expect it to happen for at least 2-3 more years, and I certainly didn't expect this.

This also means they became arguably the most attractive destination for the next hot head coaching prospect. The defense has been solid this year, and they're basically a forward-thinking playcaller and an two offensive linemen away from being an extremely good team. The QB and skill positions are excellent!

The Raiders lost a shithead coach, and then won a game.

This Raiders fan is happy.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

The Raiders lost a shithead coach, and then won a game.

This Raiders fan is happy.

As a lifelong fan of the Washington Football Team :roll: , I think it's funny that Gruden got roped into the email investigation with my team. And you're welcome.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 pm 

Well I've never been a Raiders fan, and as for "The Team Formerly Known As The Redskins-" it's like, pick a name, already.

Interesting reading the Formula 1 posts above. I don't follow open wheel racing that much- I used to be more of a die-hard NASCAR guy, though I haven't been following it as closely the last couple years as I used to. NASCAR always had it's share of "Dirty Racing" guys- Harvick, Keslowski, and of course Kyle Busch (probably the worst in this regard), and even back in the day Dale Earnhardt Sr. was known for being pretty ruthless on the track. I always preferred the more finesse drivers like Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Larson or Denny Hamlin- guys who didn't NEED to deliberatly wreck guys in front of them to win, because to me, their way of winning actually takes more pure driving talent than "Smash up Derby" racing.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 am 

I made it to the 7th inning last night of the Red Sox/Astros game, so I completely missed that wild 9th inning.

It's hard to pick a team to root for in this since the Red Sox are basically the Yankees now and the Astros are known dirtbag cheaters.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:03 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Well I've never been a Raiders fan, and as for "The Team Formerly Known As The Redskins-" it's like, pick a name, already.

Interesting reading the Formula 1 posts above. I don't follow open wheel racing that much- I used to be more of a die-hard NASCAR guy, though I haven't been following it as closely the last couple years as I used to. NASCAR always had it's share of "Dirty Racing" guys- Harvick, Keslowski, and of course Kyle Busch (probably the worst in this regard), and even back in the day Dale Earnhardt Sr. was known for being pretty ruthless on the track. I always preferred the more finesse drivers like Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Larson or Denny Hamlin- guys who didn't NEED to deliberatly wreck guys in front of them to win, because to me, their way of winning actually takes more pure driving talent than "Smash up Derby" racing.

F1's popularity has been on the rise lately. This season is particularly tense with the fight between Hamilton and Verstappen. The race at COTA is this weekend and we only have 5 races afterwards. 6 points between the two drivers, advantage Verstappen. If there was a season to follow, this is the one.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:50 pm 

Well Aaron Rodgers misled people on whether he was vaxxed, did not follow the protocol for unvaxxed players, got covid and now can't play for at least a week. Today he went on a show and claimed he is a victim of the woke people and also claimed he got his advice from Joe Rogan. :durr: Fucking dumbass.

Edit- His new nickname QAron, :lol:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:34 pm 

Disappointing. I always thought Aaron Rodgers was a more intelligent and decent human being than that. I just lost a ton of respect for the guy.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:38 pm 

For anyone into MMA and the UFC, Justin Gaethje and Michael Chandler just put one of the best fights I've seen in my life the other night.

IMO 155lbs is the most exciting weight class in the UFC and probably all of MMA. I can't wait to see Poirier vs Oliveira and I'm rooting for Oliveira. And then of course there's Machkachev who will undoubtedly be fighting for the title soon.

I think it should either be Gaethje vs Makachav or maybe Beneil Dariush vs Makachev for the winner of Poirer/Oliveira, since I think Makachev needs one more win in the top 5 and Dariush is pretty much the only other free guy in the top 5 not coming off a loss.

I'm also so glad Usman beat Covington again who I HATE. It will be very interesting to see Chimaev eventually fight the top guys at 170lbs like Usman, Covington, Wonderboy, Masvidal, etc. At 185lbs I think he can become champ whenever he wants though, with the possible exception of a guy like Costa who could give him trouble.

170lbs is a very wrestler heavy division and will be tougher for him, but 185lbs is very striker heavy and weak in wrestlers, and to this day I'm still surprised at how no one has capitalized on this with Adesanya: unlike Anderson Silva, he SUCKS on the ground, and his takedown defense isn't all that great either.

If or when he fights Chimaev I see Chimaev finishing him via sub or ground and pound in either round 1 or 2 in completely one sided fashion.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:27 pm 

For those in Australia and England, the third Ashes test is about to start. While Australia holds a 2-0 lead and would likely be heavy favourites heading into this test, there's still a lot to like about England's side. Anyone from out there watching?

I hope you have English commentators, too - the Australian ones are ridiculously biased.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:59 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
3-0 is 3-0, but if the Raiders never had to face the Dolphins again I'd be much happier. Jon Gruden's situational playcalling is maddening though. He tends to get very conservative with just a one score lead, and it makes NO SENSE.

Turns out he was very conservative, indeed!

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:45 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
For those in Australia and England, the third Ashes test is about to start. While Australia holds a 2-0 lead and would likely be heavy favourites heading into this test, there's still a lot to like about England's side. Anyone from out there watching?

I hope you have English commentators, too - the Australian ones are ridiculously biased.

England are dire at present when it comes to the long format of the game and this series has only shown what has been the case for some time. We've put all our resources into the limited overs game and as a result the county championship and the test format have been severely neglected, and it shows. Australia have very promising sides that seem to be able to compete in both limited overs and test matches.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:03 am 

I think that England are still a good chance to get better at test cricket. Their squad is still a formidable side but they just haven't been able to fire this time around. There's still 2 tests to go so there's a chance to save face.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:55 am 

PETERG wrote:
mirons wrote:
PETERG wrote:

I think that Ferrari's dominance lasted thanks to Brawn and Todt but Schumi was the one who ignited the fire in the minds of the Tifosi. Ferrari did not have a driver like that since Lauda. Even the legend Mansell was not as hungry for winning and Prost... well Prost behaved like a man-child and disrespected the team so kudos to them for sacking him.

This post is so wrong. Firstly, Mansell was LOVED by the Tifosi, they called him the 'the Lion', and he got a few wins that were some of his best ever and went down in Ferrari legend (Hungary 89, winning from 12th on the grid at a track not known for overtaking AND passing Senna to do so). The main reason why he got less wins at Ferrari during his time there was that the car was unreliable. But you can't say he wasn't totally dedicated to driving the wheels off his machine at every race and going for it 100%. If there's one thing Mansell does it's total commitment.

Prost, meanwhile, was let down by an unreliable car in 1991 and when he rightly criticised the team for that they canned him.

Schumi was successful and built a winning team with him at Ferrari, yes, but both he and others bent or broke the rules left right and centre and had the FIA in their pocket. It all leaves a very sour taste. And the Tifosi, while they liked Schumi for his success, never truly put him on the same level as Gilles Villeneuve or Mansell in their minds.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:15 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:

This post is so wrong. Firstly, Mansell was LOVED by the Tifosi, they called him the 'the Lion', and he got a few wins that were some of his best ever and went down in Ferrari legend (Hungary 89, winning from 12th on the grid at a track not known for overtaking AND passing Senna to do so). The main reason why he got less wins at Ferrari during his time there was that the car was unreliable. But you can't say he wasn't totally dedicated to driving the wheels off his machine at every race and going for it 100%. If there's one thing Mansell does it's total commitment.

Prost, meanwhile, was let down by an unreliable car in 1991 and when he rightly criticised the team for that they canned him.

Schumi was successful and built a winning team with him at Ferrari, yes, but both he and others bent or broke the rules left right and centre and had the FIA in their pocket. It all leaves a very sour taste. And the Tifosi, while they liked Schumi for his success, never truly put him on the same level as Gilles Villeneuve or Mansell in their minds.

- I did not say that Mansell was not loved. But he was no way near as ruthless as other Ferrari drivers. I think that is why the fans loved him. A genuine person driving for his passion and for the team. Mansell was always driving for the team.

Ferrari did not handle Prost's protests and opinions professionally. They treated a, then 3 time world champion, as a rookie driver. Shows how the team's bosses respect the drivers. They did the same to Schumi in 2006, Alonso after 2012 and Vettel after Singapore in 2017.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:25 pm 

Speaking of F1, I'm going to back through and watch a few races from 1982 because that season started 40 years ago on the 23rd this month and its one of the most pivotal seasons for a couple of reasons - not all of them good.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:06 pm 

Congratulations to the LA Rams. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 am 

I didn't really care much about either team but it would have been nice to see the Bengals win it, just because they never have done so. But I'm no Cincinnati fan by any stretch, I just didn't care. Good for the Rams, I guess. It's been like 20 years for them.

clovenhooved
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:35 am 

LA is so spoiled when it comes to sports championships now. Too bad (as someone from LA) the Dodgers/Lakers/Rams winning it all means nothing to me, since the only sport I really follow is hockey. Although it looks like the Kings might make playoffs this year, I don't know if we can escape the first round because of how embarrassing our special teams are. As much as the rules become more like suggestions to refs during playoffs, they won't swallow their whistles entirely unless you're Vegas, so shit like this matters. (I know how much of a spoiled bitch I am whining about this because of 2012 and 2014.)

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:53 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I didn't really care much about either team but it would have been nice to see the Bengals win it, just because they never have done so. But I'm no Cincinnati fan by any stretch, I just didn't care. Good for the Rams, I guess. It's been like 20 years for them.
Last year was actually their first title in 70 years.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:09 pm 

Depends on whether you are talking about "The Rams" versus "A Los Angeles Football Team."

The Rams football team won the Super Bowl in 2000 (following the 1999 season.) Though not as a Los Angeles-based team.

A different Los Angeles football team, the Raiders (who were based in Los Angeles at the time) won the super bowl in 1984 (following the 1983 season.

So no, it is not quite accurate to say that it was their "first title in 70 years."

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:26 am 

I don't know if anyone has been keeping up with Major League Rugby in the states, but it's been a pretty cool season so far. I'm enjoying it and looking forward to expansion in the future.

Only_Perception wrote:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 pm 

Any NCAA March Madness nuts here? My dad and I usually set up 2 TVs and watch all 67 games of the tournament.

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:45 pm 

Huge NCAA Tourney fan. To me, this is the best time of the year.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:32 pm 

I will generally at least fill out a bracket at the beginning of it, and keep track as each one of my picks loses one after another, though I won't necessarily stay glued to the TV the entire time watching each and every game. Basketball is not my favorite TV sport but I at least care enough to somewhat pay attention.

I had UCLA winning it all, (they lost)
Gonzaga making the top 4, (they did not)
Villanova losing to Ohio State, (Didn't happen either)
Duke Losing in the third round, (they won the third round)
Kentucky going to the top 8, (I'd never even heard of that St. Peters school before this year)
and I think the only final four team I got right was Kansas.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:12 am 

Julio Rodriguez already looks like a monster.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:16 am 

Damn guys, I had Villanova over Duke in the finals.

I was right in my pool (which first place is $2400), but last night buried me. So close.

Luvers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:21 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Depends on whether you are talking about "The Rams" versus "A Los Angeles Football Team."

The Rams football team won the Super Bowl in 2000 (following the 1999 season.) Though not as a Los Angeles-based team.

A different Los Angeles football team, the Raiders (who were based in Los Angeles at the time) won the super bowl in 1984 (following the 1983 season.

So no, it is not quite accurate to say that it was their "first title in 70 years."
Actually it is 100% accurate. I wrote it was the first title in 70 years for the L.A. Rams. I am well aware of their success/failure elsewhere, including their days in Cleveland, but the last time the L.A. Rams won an NFL title was the 1951 Superbowl. 24-17 against the Cleveland Browns.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:57 pm 

Day 1 and 2 MLB Predictions

AL EAST: Toronto Blue Jays (best record)
AL CENTRAL: Chicago White Sox
AL WEST: Houston Astros
WILD CARD TEAMS: Tampa Bay Rays, New York Yankees, Seattle Mariners (finally)

NL EAST: Atlanta Braves
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee Brewers
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (best record)
WILD CARD TEAMS: San Diego Padres, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants (almost went with the Cardinals here)

WORLD SERIES: Los Angeles Dodgers over Chicago White Sox in 7 games - extra innings in the final game - walk off for the title.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:11 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Day 1 and 2 MLB Predictions

AL EAST: Toronto Blue Jays (best record)
AL CENTRAL: Chicago White Sox
AL WEST: Houston Astros
WILD CARD TEAMS: Tampa Bay Rays, New York Yankees, Seattle Mariners (finally)

NL EAST: Atlanta Braves
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee Brewers
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (best record)
WILD CARD TEAMS: San Diego Padres, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants (almost went with the Cardinals here)

WORLD SERIES: Los Angeles Dodgers over Chicago White Sox in 7 games - extra innings in the final game - walk off for the title.

I'm going to hope for a Padres vs Mariners World Series, though your prediction is much, much more realistic.

Only_Perception wrote:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:35 pm 

I mean, besides being a yankee fan and hoping they are in it - i wouldn't HATE to see that.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:20 pm 

Boston doesn't look very good. Don't think that will change.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:54 pm 

The Seattle Mariners and 1-run games, name a more iconic duo.

If Ray and Gilbert look something like that on a consistent basis, this pitching staff could be really good.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 am 

Luvers wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Actually it is 100% accurate. I wrote it was the first title in 70 years for the L.A. Rams. I am well aware of their success/failure elsewhere, including their days in Cleveland, but the last time the L.A. Rams won an NFL title was the 1951 Superbowl. 24-17 against the Cleveland Browns.

Your post is almost 100% accurate, except the 1951 championship was actually before the Super Bowl existed. They were the NFL champions that season. The first Super Bowl didn't actually happen until 1967.

Luvers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:51 pm 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Your post is almost 100% accurate, except the 1951 championship was actually before the Super Bowl existed. They were the NFL champions that season. The first Super Bowl didn't actually happen until 1967.
You can call it what you like but the Superbowl is, was and always will be the final game of the NFL season, which follows an elimination tournament and decides who is the NFL Champion. The winner also receives a ring and trophy AND has an MVP that can possibly differ from the league MVP. Seriously, it is the exact same game, with the exact same circumstances and stakes. Just like in baseball, you can call it the World Series, Diamond Game or Way To Waste 5 Hours Of Your Life but it is still the Major League Baseball Championship Series, with the implication that the winning teams players receive rings while team itself receives a trophy and bragging rights for the next six months, before the cycle starts all over again.

Since you knew The first Super Bowl didn't actually happen until 1967. the NFL Championship got rebranded to Superbowl (it was actually 1970 that happened) then it should not be very hard for you to prove me wrong but I am willing to bet you could not name ten things that are completely different about the 1951 NFL Championship Game and the 2021 NFL Championship Game, despite the 70 year gap.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next