* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:55 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
ObservationSlave wrote:
I thought both Conor and Dustin looked great in that fight. Conor hit Dustin with a few heavy-handed shots that could easily have stunned him, but Poirier did well to keep composed and continued to implement his game plan. Those leg kicks were nasty and McGregor wasn't checking any of them. There is no one in the history of the UFC that has been as effective at pressuring his opponents without the threat of a takedown as Conor is. I've never seen a counter-striker with his level of aggression in the octagon and although he lost this fight, it's worked for him far more than it hasn't. I know people are happy to see him lose, but the disrespect for his abilities as a fighter is ridiculous. His risky and aggressive style is what earned him both of his championship belts.

I've been an MMA fan since UFC 1 live in 93 (I'm also a brown belt in BJJ and cross train in other arts) and I'd have to disagree with you about no one ever being on Connor's level as a counter striker.

Anderson Silva didn't always play the role of counter striker, but he did often did and i think he was a FAR superior striker to Connor, and Israel Adesanya is also a higher level striker than Connor.

There are also several other fighters who sometimes but didn't always play the role of counter striker that were on his level like Machida, Liddell, Crocop and from a purely technical standpoint even Piotr Yan, and probably others I can't think of at the moment.

Connor is great, but it's now become evident I think that he's never going to rule the division again.

155 is just SO stacked right now and it's practically a tossup as to who could take over between guys like Poirer, Chandler, Gaethje, Charles Olivieria and Islam Machachev, and that's IF Khabib doesn't come back, which I recently heard that he might, and then there's also guys like Connor, Lee, Ferguson, RDA, etc.

Machachev looks like almost a carbon copy of Khabib and they train together and Khabib thinks Machachev will be champ next and after his last performance I don't doubt that he could be champ.

My personal favorite, being a BJJ guy myself, is Olivieria, who doesn't get NEARLY enough respect, but he should after what he did to Ferguson, and now it looks like if everything goes as planned that Chandler is going to fight Gaethje which should be an absolute WAR.

I've got Gaethje in that one personally, though it could go either way. Many people are super high on Chandler after his last win and yes, he's a great fighter, but he took some bad losses in Bellator, especially to Patricio Pitbull who TKOd him and who once fought at 145lbs, so if the fight stays on the feet I think Gaethje's going to get the better of him.

I think we could potentially be seeing the title change hands a few times, but the 2 guys I'm most looking at to be at the very top are Oliviera and Machachev in my personal opinion.

I'm not saying Conor is the best counter striker, I just think his pressure as a counter striker is unparalleled. Guys like Machida and Adesanya are much more patient and Anderson Silva's defense was nuts during his reign.

As for the lightweight division, apparently Khabib has officially retired and Oliveira and Chandler will fight for the vacant belt. I'm surprised Chandler got the fights ahead of a few others, but maybe he was the only one available for the date. I think both Gaethje and Poirier are better than both guys, but it definitely sets up some intriguing fights for the rest of the year.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:39 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Andy Dalton

He is by no means great or anything but they could do worse (a lot worse). He’s just a stop gap that’ll compete against with whichever camp arm they bring in from free agency or backups. Dalton wasn’t all that bad coming in after Dak went down.

Those jokes can apply to any (non-mobile) starter who has a perennial shitty offensive line. It’s the reason why Andrew Luck wisely retired. And the jokes could very well apply to Burrow if Cincy doesn’t protect him.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 pm 

I'm not saying Conor is the best counter striker, I just think his pressure as a counter striker is unparalleled. Guys like Machida and Adesanya are much more patient and Anderson Silva's defense was nuts during his reign.

As for the lightweight division, apparently Khabib has officially retired and Oliveira and Chandler will fight for the vacant belt. I'm surprised Chandler got the fights ahead of a few others, but maybe he was the only one available for the date. I think both Gaethje and Poirier are better than both guys, but it definitely sets up some intriguing fights for the rest of the year.[/quote]

Where did you hear that Oliveira and Chandler are fighting for the belt? I heard that Chandler is fighting Gaethje.

There's no way Chandler deserves a title shot after just 1 win in the UFC and that would be totally unfair if he got one.

I'm gonna disagree about Gaethje and Poirer being better than Oliveira, but all of them are really great and styles make fights.

Being more of a grappler myself I'm biased towards grapplers but there's no question that Oliveira has the best BJJ out of any of them and is the most well rounded grappler along with Machachev.

Gaethje is a great fighter but Khabib showed that his ground game is lacking. As for Chandler, he's a very good fighter but I don't think he's as good as people think or will probably be champion. I don't know if you followed his Bellator career but he took some bad losses and I just don't think he's overall as good a fighter as some think.

If Khabib is really retired then I think the top 2 guys are going to turn out to be Oliveira and Machachev and that eventually those 2 will fight for the belt and if they do then that's going to be an amazing grappling battle.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 am 

I'm not sure why, but the UFC gave it to Chandler instead of Gaethje. Doesn't really make any sense to me since Gaethje is both the bigger draw and more deserving of the fight.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I'm not sure why, but the UFC gave it to Chandler instead of Gaethje. Doesn't really make any sense to me since Gaethje is both the bigger draw and more deserving of the fight.

Yeah, i think it's really unfair and an insult to everyone else at LW. I can't think of anyone else who came into the UFC and got a title shot that quickly other than maybe Brock Lesnar.

I think maybe they did it for 3 reasons: 1) they probably want to set up Poirer/Connor 3 2) Chandler has the look they like and they'd like him to be champ, 3) Gaethje is coming off a loss, and they never give title shots to guys who are coming off of losses.

I'm very excited for this fight though, and I think (and hope) Oliviera takes it.

He's certainly better on the ground and he's also got very underrated standup and wrestling. I mean the way he dominated Ferguson was impressive.

However, i could also see Chandler catching him on the feet and knocking him out, but I hope not.

So I bet they'll set up Connor/Poirer 3 and the winner of that will probably fight the winner of Chandler/Oliviera, and then in the meantime fighters like Machachev will be working their way into the title picture.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 pm 

Filip Gustavsson stops 35 shots in Ottawa’s 2-1 win over Calgary, for his first NHL win :thumbsup: Joey Daccord got his last week, and I’m thinking it’s pretty rare for a team to have two goalies win #1 in the same season.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:58 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
So I was watching auto racing tonight because, well, it's a sport (sort of anyway) and because it happened to be "what was on."

You had a guy leading the race with two laps to the finish when a caution comes out. Instead of cruising to an easy win, he goes to pit road for fresh tires, and basically takes himself out of the race and hands the victory to fucking Jerk Keslowski on a silver platter.

WHY Chase Elliot, WHY???
Stupid, stupid, stupid decision. He just cost himself the race! That would be like in baseball, intentionally walking in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th inning- that's how dumb that was.

That is true. But imagine a manager actually doing that!!!!!!

:headbang: :lol: :evil:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:07 am 

well, that was a very upsetting first weekend of the NCAA tournament. I can't remember a year in which my bracket was SO busted in the first 48 hours.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm 

Anyone else excited for baseball season? The Mariners will probably not be very good this year, but they've got some really hot prospects that could lead them into the future. Hope springs eternal!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
So I was watching auto racing tonight because, well, it's a sport (sort of anyway) and because it happened to be "what was on."

You had a guy leading the race with two laps to the finish when a caution comes out. Instead of cruising to an easy win, he goes to pit road for fresh tires, and basically takes himself out of the race and hands the victory to fucking Jerk Keslowski on a silver platter.

WHY Chase Elliot, WHY???
Stupid, stupid, stupid decision. He just cost himself the race! That would be like in baseball, intentionally walking in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th inning- that's how dumb that was.

That is true. But imagine a manager actually doing that!!!!!!

:headbang: :lol: :evil:

Not withstanding the fact that the previous post is almost a year old, this is why you pit for fresh rubber if you need it. Some points is better than zero points.

Also, hindsight is 20-20, but Chase Elliot won the championship anyway.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:49 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Anyone else excited for baseball season? The Mariners will probably not be very good this year, but they've got some really hot prospects that could lead them into the future. Hope springs eternal!

Beyond excited. Huge yankee fan, and I have been a subscriber to MLB tv since 2005, and watch at least 120-130 games a year, and use the app to listen to the day games while walking in the afternoon.

The Mariners DO have some hope! You're right, it probably won't be this year, but jarred kelenic and Kyle Lewis will be a lot of fun to watch.

As a Yankee fan, I just don't buy into the hype that they are one of the 3 best teams in baseball. The pitching is so susceptible and suspect this year. You have 3 guys in your starting rotation that threw a total of ONE MLB inning in 2020. Beyond that, your depth is basically all unproven, inexperienced kids from Triple A. So you have Cole and Montgomery and a bunch of question marks (including a return of Severino, who is also injury prone). Yeah, the lineup is deadly if everyone stays healthy, but we all know that hasn't happened in 3 years for the Yankees. I see 2021 as another year where the Yankees just fall short. This year, I actually see them MAYBE making it to the world series, as the American League seemed to have taken a step back, but i can't imagine them beating the Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Braves or Nationals in the WS - not unless they made a couple big trades to get an ace starter and some extra bullpen help.

If Toronto had like, one or two more pitchers, I'd actually think they were the favourites for the division. I still think they might be able to slug their way into contention. No clue what to expect from Tampa this year as they had huge subtractions, but always seem to make do with what they have.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:16 pm 

I’m happy that the odds-makers put the Blue Jays 2nd in the AL East, so that hopefully projects to squeezing into the playoffs again :) Hyun-jin Ryu is their only proven 6-7 inning starter though, followed by a handful of maybes. Robbie Ray and Steven Matz look more like openers before a big assortment of relief pitchers.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 pm 

Tom Brady tweets that he’s bringing back the Montreal Expos... on April Fools.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/to ... uxbndlbing
I think I speak for all Canadian baseball fans when I say NOT FUNNY TOM!!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm 

There's no more appropriate April Fools joke than the Mariners winning on a walk-off walk.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:34 pm 

^yeah that would be like Chase Elliot leading the car race with two laps to go and... ah well, never mind.

I actually kind of wish the Expos were still around. I always thought it was cool that Canada had two teams in the major leagues. I will still be rooting for the Giants even though they are long past their glory years. If they finish around .500 and have a few up and coming good players for the next few seasons, I'll be satisfied.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 am 

Chelsea choking at West Brom was a delightful surprise. Liverpool just two points behind 4th, with probably the best fixture run in out of the competing teams.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:03 am 

Big Sam not dead yet :D

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:57 am 

[url][url]https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/sabine-schmitz-iconic-german-race-car-driver-dies-at-51/[/url]

One of the most iconic German Racing drivers Sabrina Schmitz died at the age of 51. I remember her guest videos on the famous car show Top Gear when she circled the Nurburgring with a freaking van!

R.I.P. to a legendary driver! Hope she gave the passion for many other women to follow the path of motorsport driving.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:20 pm 

James Paxton: 1 inning pitched, Tommy John surgery. Kyle Lewis starts the season on the DL. Marco Gonzales gets blown up in his first two starts. The Seattle Mariners are a 6 month long punch in the dick.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
James Paxton: 1 inning pitched, Tommy John surgery. Kyle Lewis starts the season on the DL. Marco Gonzales gets blown up in his first two starts. The Seattle Mariners are a 6 month long punch in the dick.

:lol: More like a 20-year long punch in the dick. I am having a hard time remembering a Mariners’ season that hasn’t started with good cause for optimism, but quickly crapped its pants.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:20 am 

Man, it breaks my heart about Paxton. He's a guy I loved before he was a Yankee, and really hoped he would "find it" and have it all click finally.

What the hell is wrong with the A's? Yikes!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:07 pm 

I've never been a Mariners fan but I do seem to remember around 2001 or so (more than 15 years ago anyway?) where they won an astronomical number of games, like 115+ wins! Only to get bounced out of the playoffs by an obviously inferior team, I can't remember now if it was the Red Sox or the Yankees or which team it was (Like I said I don't follow the Mariners) but I still felt pretty bad about it. I'd rather see the best team win it all as they are more "Deserving" so to speak.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I've never been a Mariners fan but I do seem to remember around 2001 or so (more than 15 years ago anyway?) where they won an astronomical number of games, like 115+ wins! Only to get bounced out of the playoffs by an obviously inferior team, I can't remember now if it was the Red Sox or the Yankees or which team it was (Like I said I don't follow the Mariners) but I still felt pretty bad about it. I'd rather see the best team win it all as they are more "Deserving" so to speak.

The only time I would have considered that true was the NHL play-off bubble. There is no reasonable explanation for how Chicago and Montreal were even given a chance to contend. I still, to this day, don't understand how the fuck they worked that shit out. But in baseball, even the obviously inferior team had to make it that far. I actually find it very exciting when a team that is considered clearly inferior comes out and absolutely claps the "superior" team. Nothing is a foregone conclusion in sport, that's what makes it so enjoyable to watch! Well, unless you have NHL referees. Then you have to watch an absolute travesty of officiating occur basically every game.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 am 

Pretty abysmal performance by the Edmonton Oilers this evening, but in their defence, what the actual fuck was the league thinking scheduling a game on a day as important to the Oilers as this one? Fucking stupid. I mean, it's no excuse for such a piss-poor performance, although I would absolutely argue that there were other contributing factors, such as it being their 4th road game in 6 days, which is just.. Man, that's too much hockey. Still, I echo Connor McDavid's thoughts, how were they expected to go out there and really compete passionately after having born witness to Colby Cave's celebration of life? Just a real dumb move by the league. Which is unfortunately just another dumb move in a series of dumb moves.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

They got bounced by the Yankees. That Seattle club was very very good that year. They hold the second or first all time for most wins in a season. My favorite team the Diamondbacks won it all that year beating those damn Yankees.

Seattle is the only MLB franchise to have never appeared in a World Series. I have no connection to the city, but it’d be nice to see them finally make an appearance if only for those long suffering fans.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 pm 

Seattle guy here. Not a Mariners or baseball fan, but I do remember that 2001 season being the only time where I was truly into the sport because they were on fire... Until I found football years later and I never looked back.

For those that don't know, the Mariners play in a stadium that's literally, and I mean literally, right next to the Seahawks' stadium. So where there's a drought for one team that are basically among the bottom of the sport, across the street you have a team that won a Superbowl, has multiple division championships and is among the top teams in the league.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Not withstanding the fact that the previous post is almost a year old, this is why you pit for fresh rubber if you need it. Some points is better than zero points.

That was a crazy moment. I remember watching live, just how tense the final laps were before the blowout.
For context this was the year that tyre changes were not allowed, with the same set of tyres to be used for the entire Grand Prix (there was an exception for damage or some such).

Great weekend for motorsport, with F1 at Imola, first race of the Indycar season and MotoGP from Portugal.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 am 

Talk of the European Super League is interesting. It has gone down about as well as COVID. A European competition with no relegation for the founding clubs, and basically no pathway in for the rest of Europe. Teams like Arsenal haven't even competed in the top tier of European football for something like 5 years. AC Milan even longer if I am correct.

Reaction from pundits like Gary Neville has been of disgust and anger. What has the reaction been like from other countries besides the UK?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:19 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Talk of the European Super League is interesting. It has gone down about as well as COVID. A European competition with no relegation for the founding clubs, and basically no pathway in for the rest of Europe. Teams like Arsenal haven't even competed in the top tier of European football for something like 5 years. AC Milan even longer if I am correct.

Reaction from pundits like Gary Neville has been of disgust and anger. What has the reaction been like from other countries besides the UK?

Sweden has been generally very negative as well.

If this thing would take shape however I'm not so sure it would be a success. Granted the clubs who want it are some of the biggest in Europe but I'm not sure a league without relegation would work well for the fans. And how fun could it be for Arsenal fans to always finish last? :-P
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm 

The San Francisco 49ers reportedly have offered Green Bay the third overall pick and next year’s picks for Aaron Rodgers. Supposedly, the Packers (if true) foolishly declined.

That Niners team with Aaron under center would be fucking scary.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm 

To the surprise of literally no one, the Raiders reached in round 1. With an *awful* defense and every single Safety, pure DE AND DT still on the board, they take a second round Tackle (Who might have to play Guard!) At 17.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
To the surprise of literally no one, the Raiders reached in round 1. With an *awful* defense and every single Safety, pure DE AND DT still on the board, they take a second round Tackle (Who might have to play Guard!) At 17.

The OT is a real reach, but the Raiders did end up getting the number one rated FS, a very good SS, and the potential next coming of Kahlil Mack.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:11 am 

The Mariners' best reliever by a mile appears to be anti vax. He was probably the one who got half the fucking pen infected. Lol Mariners, lololol. Lololol, lol.

Kill me.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:18 am 

McGregor somehow broke his own shin at the end of the first round in that UFC main event. That was incredible. If he wasn't such a piece of shit I'd feel sorry for him.

Riffs wrote:

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:14 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
McGregor somehow broke his own shin at the end of the first round in that UFC main event. That was incredible. If he wasn't such a piece of shit I'd feel sorry for him.

Yeah it was probably off the kick that Poirer checked.

I'd previously thought that he was arrogant but a lot of it was just an act, but now I really think he's a complete piece of shit.

Granted Rogan shouldn't have interviewed him in that state but he was saying he was going to kill Dustin up to the fight and all kinds of nasty shit that is just unwarranted and beyond simple trash talk and then when sitting there injured starting saying he'd fucked Dustin's wife and talking shit to her and stuff, i mean I don't feel at all sorry for him.

Then Dustin cursed back at him but what can you expect? Dustin acted classy most of the time and Conor is just an asshole.

Anyways, I think Poirer is the better fighter. It's too bad cause I wanted to see Conor lose fair and square but if he ever does fight again he most likely won't be quite the same and I see it as unlikely that he beats Poirer, and he also lost that round 10-8 on 2 judges scorecards.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 pm 

I'm not really a big sports guy, but I do follow the NBA a bit. Anyone else been watching the finals/playoffs?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:33 am 

So, how about those Mariners? I should know better than to say this, but they might be... Kind of good? They're scrappy, and the bullpen is nails.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 am 

If you didn't watch MNF, you need to watch the highlights. When I tell you that Derek Carr threw for *267* yards just in the 4th quarter and OT, I'm still underselling how crazy it was.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
If you didn't watch MNF, you need to watch the highlights. When I tell you that Derek Carr threw for *267* yards just in the 4th quarter and OT, I'm still underselling how crazy it was.

I had to stay up an extra hour while watching that. Absolutely nuts going back and forth. I had to watch it 'till the end and wasn't disappointed. Phenomenal ending.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:41 am 

A documentary about the legendary Michael Schumacher just aired on Netflix. It is 2 hours long but it is captivating to say the least. It features a lot of material including his off track work, his dedication to Ferrari and some words from the other German champions Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg.

As a Schumi fan it was amazing to watch.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next