Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
AlexMercer wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
I tried proof-reading the Bible once. Couldn't find shit.

Hidden from the foolish and revealed to the wise.

Pointless ego-boost

AlexMercer when he wrote that:

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 pm 

He looks evil maybe we have something in common. I love the hair.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
The detestable nonsense spouted by commentators like Hitchens appeals to boomers not millenials. Regardless I'd hope the younger generations are able make up their minds on the issue independently from the trendiness or lack of the outdated views you speak of.

Yeah, Peter Hitchens is a d*ck. Hate that guy...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:28 pm 

Lot more resistance to the idea of just not being into God or spirituality than I figured there'd be in this thread.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:46 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Lot more resistance to the idea of just not being into God or spirituality than I figured there'd be in this thread.

Indeed. Atheists are seemingly the last remaining minority group that can be openly ridiculed, scorned, and discriminated against with impunity (at least in the U.S.).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:44 am 

Yeah I mean I don't feel like I ever have been. But I guess I never really have discussions about this stuff anymore. That was all back when I was some sort of edgy teen. Beliefs haven't really changed - just tact...

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Atheists are seemingly the last remaining minority group that can be openly ridiculed, scorned, and discriminated against with impunity (at least in the U.S.).

I'm not sure about this, for a couple reasons. Maybe you could help me out.

Transgender people and their allies (for example) can definitely take issue with the "last remaining." Where I live, if you watch TV, it's hard to avoid seeing campaign ads for Republican politicians who promise to "end the radical left's assault on real women's athletics," etc.

But also - just to share the impression from my experience (having identified as an atheist for years in the past) - the open contempt and discrimination against atheists seems to be more of the "soft," eye-roll-inducing sort than of the systematic, "You are an inferior being, with no right to be who you are" sort. It's mainly exemplified in things like: having "One Nation Under God" on our currency and in the Pledge of Allegiance; having to put your hand on the Bible before testifying in court; the common knowledge that the voting public would probably not elect an atheist President; the crude and tacky (but often innocently, philosophically curious) questioning in conversation - "If there's no God, how do you tell right from wrong? What do you live for?"

So, yes, I think there's some annoying, pain-in-the-ass stuff to deal with on an everyday cultural level, as well as some disheartening political realities (mainly to do with the many-layered, pervasive bigotry of the political right), but I can't say I see a whole lot in the way of systemic inequality - say, denial of healthcare, denial of marital rights, or inequalities in employment, public education, and criminal justice.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 pm 

Defenestrated wrote:
So, yes, I think there's some annoying, pain-in-the-ass stuff to deal with on an everyday cultural level, as well as some disheartening political realities (mainly to do with the many-layered, pervasive bigotry of the political right), but I can't say I see a whole lot in the way of systemic inequality - say, denial of healthcare, denial of marital rights, or inequalities in employment, public education, and criminal justice.

100% agreed.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:06 pm 

Quote:
"If there's no God, how do you tell right from wrong? What do you live for?"

that sentiment has always been hilarious to me, because it says more about the person asking than anything else.

If the only thing keeping you from being a raping, serial killing thief is the threat of hell from a magical sky daddy, you aren't really moral, you're just scared and obedient.

Christians don't have morality, they're just following commands from their master.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:04 am 

Mostly I think what lies behind those questions is a lack of experience with philosophical self-reflection. Wondering about the general basis of morality, and about the general point of life - I think these are normal human thoughts, and a person coming to grips with them has to start somewhere. I doubt it happens all that often that people have these crazed, homicidal longings which just happen to be kept in check by some half-understood church talk.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 pm 

Defenestrated wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
Atheists are seemingly the last remaining minority group that can be openly ridiculed, scorned, and discriminated against with impunity (at least in the U.S.).

I'm not sure about this, for a couple reasons. Maybe you could help me out.

Transgender people and their allies (for example) can definitely take issue with the "last remaining." Where I live, if you watch TV, it's hard to avoid seeing campaign ads for Republican politicians who promise to "end the radical left's assault on real women's athletics," etc.

But also - just to share the impression from my experience (having identified as an atheist for years in the past) - the open contempt and discrimination against atheists seems to be more of the "soft," eye-roll-inducing sort than of the systematic, "You are an inferior being, with no right to be who you are" sort. It's mainly exemplified in things like: having "One Nation Under God" on our currency and in the Pledge of Allegiance; having to put your hand on the Bible before testifying in court; the common knowledge that the voting public would probably not elect an atheist President; the crude and tacky (but often innocently, philosophically curious) questioning in conversation - "If there's no God, how do you tell right from wrong? What do you live for?"

Indeed. I was exaggerating but atheists still, in 2024, are taking a risk when they "out" themselves in modern America. To be clear, your example of transgender folks is spot on, and have it harder than any group (possibly more now, than ever)...but atheists are not far behind.

But, it's OK, as the radical right has boatloads of hatred to disperse to all and sundry, so all groups can stand in line to receive their 'fair' share of hatred. ;)

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Quote:

that sentiment has always been hilarious to me, because it says more about the person asking than anything else.

If the only thing keeping you from being a raping, serial killing thief is the threat of hell from a magical sky daddy, you aren't really moral, you're just scared and obedient.

Christians don't have morality, they're just following commands from their master.

100% spot-on.
Making decisions based solely on a fear of eternal torture, out of a motive for self-preservation, does not equate to 'morality'.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:12 am 

What does equate to morality? In your view.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:31 am 

TheraminTrees video does this topic more justice than I could ever hope to

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:34 am 

I think Christians might feel hard done by that they get judged in a sentence or two while the opposing viewpoint gets a 27 minute video thesis to put its point across.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:36 am 

Well then any Christian is free to show up and express their own viewpoint.

It isn't as if we're discussing fresh, new ideas here lol

BastardHead wrote:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 am 

Well, I am an (Orthodox) Christian and I don't believe that atheists are immoral. Ιn slightly theological terms, I believe that every person is inherently good with a propensity to sin in this fallen world. More simply, I believe we all have a conscience that is influenced by many things, including our own will, the environment, the life and circumstances we've lived and so on. So... Yeah.

So, to answer Disembodied in two words, I feel most discussions of this sort do not concern me, in the sense that most atheist arguments I have come across are basically targetting superficial, modern, usually American (but certainly post-reformation, especially post-Calvinist) christianity. For the Orthodox, that sort of Christinaity is almost demonic and I would agree with a lot of the criticism levelled against it.

Two decades ago in say, the Metal-Rules forum, I would engage in such discussions but my experience is that most of these discussions are better held between very few people in real life, not an online forum.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

So, to answer Disembodied in two words, I feel most discussions of this sort do not concern me, in the sense that most atheist arguments I have come across are basically targetting superficial, modern, usually American (but certainly post-reformation, especially post-Calvinist) christianity. For the Orthodox, that sort of Christinaity is almost demonic and I would agree with a lot of the criticism levelled against it.

Well, that's rather funny because there are Christians from other denominations who would make the same assessment of you and your beliefs.

If you were to have the sort of discussion that you're speaking of, you guys would argue about who's right until you're blue in the face, and none of you would be able to prove one way or the other.

Know how I know that? because it's the same shit that's been hotly debated for centuries now.

You'd think at some point god himself would just show up and dispel any and all arguments.

Christians can't even agree which beliefs and denomination is/are the right one(s), assuming there even is one

BastardHead wrote:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 am 

Sure, I am very aware of that, I've been a member of Christian forums. I answered Disembodied and yourself on something very specific (am I offended? why not speak up?). I am not really interested to provide a list of arguments why the Orthodox Church has a very serious and historically backed claim that it is in fact The Church, certainly not to someone who is not interested in hearing it and in a place and medium not suitable for that.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:55 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Well, that's rather funny because there are Christians from other denominations who would make the same assessment of you and your beliefs.

If you were to have the sort of discussion that you're speaking of, you guys would argue about who's right until you're blue in the face, and none of you would be able to prove one way or the other.

Know how I know that? because it's the same shit that's been hotly debated for centuries now.

You'd think at some point god himself would just show up and dispel any and all arguments.

Christians can't even agree which beliefs and denomination is/are the right one(s), assuming there even is one

He's coming soon.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:00 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
...the Orthodox Church has a very serious and historically backed claim that it is in fact The Church...

Your views are your own, and you're certainly entitled to them. I am only curious about one thing: do you honestly believe you'd feel the way same way if you were born somewhere else in the world and raised around other people? If you had been raised a Sunni Muslim in Indonesia, for instance, do you think that the historically backed claim put forth by the Orthodox Church would be enough to convince you of its truth and convert?

No antagonism or personal disrespect intended here whatsoever; I am just curious.

Only_Perception wrote:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:29 am 

None perceived! :)

But I'd rather have this conversation in private if you don't mind. I'll put the answer in a spoiler, not to hijack an atheist thread. If you want to continue this further, you can answer me in private.

Spoiler: show
But to answer your public question, I have no idea. Of course, the fact that I was born in an Orthodox country is very convenient for me and looks like the obvious answer but I am an outlier of my generation and certainly an outlier of my cultural group and my friends too (being a metalhead is certainly the first thing you'd notice if you saw me, esp. before I cut my hair) anyway. I am 46 and most people my age (since school) didn't give two shits about religion, except in a negative way. Despite the official statistics or Greeks going to church at Pascha (easter) for a few minutes, people don't care about religion and Greece is following the trajectory of the rest of the modern world.

My parents were practicing, my grandfather was a priest and I had met an actual saint, so in my brain there was no real doubt about the truth of it all but you know, as soon as I found metal and the joys of life in general, I was like everyone else. Intellectual faith doesn't really mean much if you are not living it.

It was way later in my mid-twenties that I became serious and looked into Orthodoxy in depth. I have no idea if I would have been as intrigued to look into Life, Universe and Everything if I was someone in Japan or Turkey say. I'd like to think that I would be as spiritually restless in any case but that's just me patting me in the back. I do believe that the originator of the nagging to look into something deeper is God. I'm always fascinated and moved by testimonies of people who were in non-Orthodox and non-Christian countries or had no religious upbringing whatsoever that end up Orthodox. I find them absolutely wonderful and most of the time much better people than me. People who struggled a lot and put in hours of studying and soul searching on a scale I never had to. So, the real answer is to point at the direction of those people.

I am certain at least that in the US you will eventually start hearing about Orthodoxy a whole lot more.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
Quote:

100% spot-on.
Making decisions based solely on a fear of eternal torture, out of a motive for self-preservation, does not equate to 'morality'.

Who says fear is the only motivation a Christian has to believe or follow? It's not.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:23 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
None perceived! :)

But I'd rather have this conversation in private if you don't mind. I'll put the answer in a spoiler, not to hijack an atheist thread. If you want to continue this further, you can answer me in private.

Appreciate it! There's a decent number of Orthodox believers in the area I live in now, although it's true that they aren't as widespread in the U.S.

Only_Perception wrote:

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:12 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Well, I am an (Orthodox) Christian and I don't believe that atheists are immoral. Ιn slightly theological terms, I believe that every person is inherently good with a propensity to sin in this fallen world. More simply, I believe we all have a conscience that is influenced by many things, including our own will, the environment, the life and circumstances we've lived and so on. So... Yeah.

Two decades ago in say, the Metal-Rules forum, I would engage in such discussions but my experience is that most of these discussions are better held between very few people in real life, not an online forum.

If you'll allow me to check my understanding of what you said...

If we're inherently good and all our decisions are influenced by our past experiences, our thoughts and emotions, would you say there's no room for morality? What defines a "moral" or "good" decision and an "immoral" or "bad" one?

I don't think anyone will object to having this conversation in the atheism thread. If they do I would say "speak now or forever hold your peace" :)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:29 am 

Bronze Age wrote:

Who says fear is the only motivation a Christian has to believe or follow? It's not.

For Christians who use that rhetoric to justify their morality it is.

BastardHead wrote:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:02 am 

Disembodied wrote:
If you'll allow me to check my understanding of what you said...

If we're inherently good and all our decisions are influenced by our past experiences, our thoughts and emotions, would you say there's no room for morality? What defines a "moral" or "good" decision and an "immoral" or "bad" one?

I don't think anyone will object to having this conversation in the atheism thread. If they do I would say "speak now or forever hold your peace" :)

I'd rather pass, if that's ok.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:39 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
What defines a "moral" or "good" decision and an "immoral" or "bad" one?

I'd be curious as well to see where people are on the basics of moral philosophy - what do you (and any others who are interested) think the meanings of "right" and "wrong" are? Not for the purpose of having an intense debate or anything, but just to share how we as individuals tend to navigate ethical dilemmas, what (tentative?) conclusions we may have arrived at in reflecting on what it means to be moral, etc.

I've been interested in the subject on-and-off since my early 20s. I went through a sort of utilitarian phase early on (e.g. Peter Singer), followed by a sort of half-assed pluralist/fictionalist thing, where the concept of morality is a "useful fiction" that it's nonetheless in our interest to take very seriously - as if there somehow really are "right answers," in principle discoverable by thought, when the most painful dilemmas (e.g. "Sophie's choice") arise.

I'd say my overall feeling about ethics these days is a weird mixture of, like, 95% unjustified complacence ("Eh, morally speaking, I'm mostly an all right person, no sense in striving really hard for further clarity"), 5% despairing incoherence ("There is nothing more incumbent on us as thinking beings than to understand our moral duty, but every serious proposal about what this means is no less defensible than its rivals").

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:21 am 

I don't know if I have ethical dilemmas (probably not), but for practical purposes I'm gonna say right and wrong are whatever they are defined as in the place I'm living by the culture of the people living there. That's because I want to live in a functional society and fit into that society, and for that most of us need to live by the same ideas of what's right and wrong. I'm pretty sure that's the only time morality has any relevance in my life - I just don't think I make decisions based on what's right or wrong.

Defenestrated wrote:
I've been interested in the subject on-and-off since my early 20s. I went through a sort of utilitarian phase early on (e.g. Peter Singer), followed by a sort of half-assed pluralist/fictionalist thing, where the concept of morality is a "useful fiction" that it's nonetheless in our interest to take very seriously - as if there somehow really are "right answers," in principle discoverable by thought, when the most painful dilemmas (e.g. "Sophie's choice") arise.

I'm not sure I understand how morality helps you in a "Sophie's choice" situation maybe you could explain that.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 am 

Sure thing. I'd say: Morality means not only having the will to do what's right and refrain from what's wrong, but also understanding (or having some reasonable view about) what right and wrong are - and that's where moral theory comes into play. So, what this means for "Sophie's choice" (and for moral dilemmas more generally) is that morality allows a person to grasp the aspects of an available decision that render it "better than" the alternative, that justify it as the decision there is most reason to make (or indeed an obligation to make) all-things-considered. In this case...

dictionary.com, explaining Sophie's choice, wrote:
[T]he title character must choose between the lives of her two children while imprisoned in the Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz. She is given an impossible choice: pick one to live while the other is gassed, or else watch both die. For Sophie, there is no best option, and even not making a choice carries a heavy consequence. Either she chooses one of her children to die and lives with the guilt, or she watches both of them die while knowing she could have saved one's life.

...moral theory comes into play (at least in an unspoken, implicit way) as Sophie makes considerations like: "If I take the Nazis at their word, then my selecting one child to be murdered ensures (or at least creates the better chance) that the other child will survive, whereas my refraining from this selection will ensure that both children are murdered. The reasons in favor of the first option are A, B, C...; the reasons for the second option are X, Y, Z..." The idea is that Sophie will have enough clarity to ascertain (let's say for discussion's sake) that A, B, and C are morally "weightier" than X, Y, and Z; consequently that Option 1 is preferable to Option 2; consequently that "I, Sophie, am obligated to choose Option 1." At that point, the dilemma would be theoretically resolved, as Sophie would know which of the two alternatives is right, which of the two she has most reason to choose. (Whether she has the will to actually carry out the decision she abstractly recognizes as correct - that's another question.)

Suppose (just for discussion's sake) that some version of utilitarianism is the correct moral theory. This could "simplify" Sophie's choice into a choice between "fewer children murdered" and "more children murdered" - a no-brainer, supposedly; all other considerations (e.g., "I would have to live with the knowledge that I played a part in the murder of my child") would warrant dismissal as morally irrelevant.

But there are rival moral theories which have it that utilitarianism is simply revealed as grotesque in these arguments. There might, for instance, be a virtue-ethics approach to Sophie's choice in which the question, "What sort of person would I be if I could permit the murder of my child in some extraordinary circumstance (and, if I could select one of my children at the other's expense)?" is not irrelevant but decisive.

People's theoretical leanings clash dramatically in these scenarios. Option 1's advocates might view Option 2's advocates as "unprincipled" and "merely sentimental," while Option 2's advocates might view Option 1's advocates as "coldly calculating" and "inhuman." Maybe this would just have to be a stalemate, or maybe moral theory could "advance" the discussion to the point where one approach must be admitted superior to the others. Myself, I'm not entirely sure if it's worth hoping that there is somehow a "right answer" to Sophie's choice.

I would also suggest that moral dilemmas might be less uncommon than this example makes them out to be. This is a dilemma where opposing moral intuitions seem to clash in an extremely wrenching and violent way, so maybe the difference between this and other scenarios is one of degree instead of kind. Evaluating pros and cons, reasons-for and reasons-against, seems to be inherent to any decision we make. Not every "reason" that pops into our head is necessarily a weighty one ("I'm not in the mood," "People will look at me funny"), and moral theory might help us filter out the less weighty ones. Think, for instance, of any time we're debating whether to say something dishonest when we know that the alternative will lead to hurt feelings - we could say that this is a moral dilemma, but on a rather small scale.

Apologies for getting pretty far off the topic of atheism!

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 pm 

I'm going to argue that no atheist thinks Christianity is as big a fucking joke as Christians do. Even I don't disrespect it nearly as much as the biggest representative of American Christians does.

Spoiler: show
Just an image of a twice-divorced fraudulent rapist hawking $60 Bibles to help him pay his massive legal fees...

LMAO

Only_Perception wrote:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 pm 

every American conservative came in their pants upon seeing that image

BastardHead wrote:

Roktan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 pm 

I've tried being a believer twice. I was nudged into Christianity as a little kid by my mom, then stopped at around 20-some years old. I didn't feel like I was totally committed, and I saw people in my life that said they were but didn't act like it, and I didn't want to be like them. A few years ago, I tried again after a really weird body experience scared the hell out of me. I went to a local church for 2 years and tried to really dedicate myself to Christianity. It didn't work out, this time what sealed it was my prayers weren't getting answered. They were prayers for things that I felt God would answer, because they were things that were good for me, I asked for determination, courage, things like that. Nothing happened. It took me the second time to truly realize that all religions are nothing but lies created by others and lying to yourself to convince it's real. It's make-believe fairy tale nonsense with no truth in it.

YouTube channel of vocal covers and stream uploads: https://www.youtube.com/user/Roktan
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/redlightroktan
Twitter: @RedLightRoktan

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:48 am 

Belief isn't a choice, it's a compulsion. It's largely beyond your control, contrary to what some may believe.

If you believed your hair was on fire, truly believed it to be so...in spite of the fact that everyone around you can see that your hair is, in fact, not, on fire...you would act accordingly. You would be screaming bloody murder and trying to put out this fictional fire. The people who you trust the most in life could attempt to shake you out of your delusional stupor, but who knows if their efforts would even work.

That's something you don't really have any serious control over. You can try and force it and go through the motions. But if you haven't been properly convinced, then nothing and nobody can compel you to believe something.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't really care about the truth. Not the real truth, at least. Something or someone has convinced them that this particular thing is reality, and they will believe it in spite of all evidence to the contrary. Keep in mind, there are still people who believe that the earth is anywhere from 6-10 thousand years old. Let that sink in for a moment.

I'm not saying that's always the case, because the trillions of apostates that exist are a testament to that. But, it is mostly true.

BastardHead wrote:

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:42 pm 

Regarding belief and the "choice" to believe, I'm not sure how to get all my thoughts straight, and I think I'd want to qualify much of what's said above. When belief is involuntary, and when it is "either-or" (rather than being a matter of degrees), we often use other words instead, like "perception" or "knowledge": I see/hear/feel (perceive) that it's raining outside, or I know that Paris is in France, etc.

Belief can sometimes look like a matter of will, effort, performance, and internal conflict, at least in part. For example, I believe that the Republican Party is much less vote-worthy than the Democratic Party: Much of this comes down to impartially evaluating the arguments, yes, but for me it also means deciding on the best way to resolve certain inner conflicts ("Could I live with the thought that my pro-Republican loved ones might be bigoted dupes?"), and habitually deciding to look past a lot of opposing commentary (or not bothering to search out the best of it; or wagering from prior experience that it wouldn't be worth my time), even when it happens that said commentators are much more qualified than myself to opine on e.g. economics and international affairs.

Similarly with any fringy junk science or conspiracy-type theory I reflexively dismiss. When my buddy (a science educator, unlike myself) says he once spotted an extraterrestrial spacecraft, and I believe he's probably wrong, it's not as though I'm in a position to deliver an impromptu dissertation as to how the best available evidence cumulatively casts doubt on the likelihood of alien contact - in fact, my sense is there are whole cultures of dedicated believers prepared to "debunk" whatever justification I'd have on hand, and again, I'm deciding in the interest of my time and psychological health that I'm not going to search them out, let alone immerse myself in them. I mean, it sounds like intellectual laziness when you explicitly call attention to it, but I think this is how normal people frequently operate.

"I believe that X" can mean or imply "I don't doubt that X," "I would be surprised if X weren't true," "I am willing to assert that X," "I tend to act and feel as if the consequences of X are acceptable," etc. - and probably with qualifications and exceptions to each. The norms for the usage of these terms look kind of murky to me, even if they're automatically grasped in most cases.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:14 pm 

That was a lot to sift through.

Honestly, dude? You're giving people way too much credit. I can't speak for other countries, but the average dipshit walking down the street in America doesn't have particularly well developed critical thinking skills.

All of these nuances and such that you speak of? Most, if not all, of these individuals have no concept of them or how they apply to belief or knowledge or perception.

Like I said...they don't care about the truth or the nature of it. They aren't interested in putting any serious consideration into any sort of slightly intellectually difficult topics. They believe what they believe and don't really put too much further thought into it, unless they experience some sort of extreme life altering event that would cause them to question everything beyond what they might have been capable of prior.

BastardHead wrote:

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:48 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

He's coming soon.

How soon is soon? I only get a 30 minute lunch break

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:42 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
How soon is soon? I only get a 30 minute lunch break

When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

RIP Carlin

Only_Perception wrote:

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:36 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
That was a lot to sift through.

Honestly, dude? You're giving people way too much credit. I can't speak for other countries, but the average dipshit walking down the street in America doesn't have particularly well developed critical thinking skills...

Yeah, I didn't manage to make that post as clear and digestible as I probably could have - my fault. Its point wasn't to say anything about the average person's critical thinking skills. (Though I will say, I agree that a lot of people seem to lack the inclination to clarify and logically organize their thoughts on any basic philosophical issues, e.g. the basics of religion and politics. And in a country with tens of millions of Trump voters, that's putting things mildly. But this isn't really the point I was addressing.)

The post was mostly a response to this contention of yours (and otherwise, it was a pretty rough attempt to get clearer on what it means to believe something):

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Belief isn't a choice, it's a compulsion. It's largely beyond your control, contrary to what some may believe.

[...] You can try and force it and go through the motions. But if you haven't been properly convinced, then nothing and nobody can compel you to believe something.

This makes it sound like: Belief happens to the believer; there is little if any act of will involved in believing something to be true.

But I have reservations with this; I suspect it's only partly correct.

As I tried to illustrate with my own personal examples of distrusting Republicans and distrusting UFO claims, I think it's not unusual for people to make up their minds in advance of giving the opposing case a truly fair hearing. We might disagree on what constitutes a "truly fair hearing" - but I will say, for my part, that I do not disbelieve in alien contact on account of my being able to state precisely what's wrong with the strongest available arguments on the opposing side, such that any advocate of those arguments would be rationally obliged to renounce them, if they were only willing to hear me out.

Instead, it's closer to the truth to say: I suspect (based, ultimately, on information I haven't verified firsthand, but have simply encountered via sources I trust) that I could, if I had sufficient time and dedication, produce the rudiments of a reasonable argument that alien contact is very unlikely. And I wouldn't be surprised if the argument I'd (hypothetically) produce here would fall very, very short of persuading many/most of its opponents; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were able to easily rebut it in a way I wouldn't immediately have the resources to counter.

Now, from a certain point of view, the rational thing for someone in my position to do is to suspend judgment, and continue to evaluate and reevaluate the competing arguments. But this isn't exactly what happens. Instead, it's as if I say, "Life is short, and my interest in this topic is limited, so I'm going to adopt it as a working hypothesis that the UFO believers are probably wrong, and there's probably someone else out there (though not myself) who has heard the best available arguments, and is equipped to refute them."

I think it makes sense to generalize from these illustrations; I don't think I'm describing something psychologically unusual. And if we grant this, then it seems inappropriate to simply compare belief to something like compulsion or passive, involuntary sensation: hence the suggestion that there are something like acts of will (among other things) involved in belief.

At any rate, maybe these sorts of puzzles suggest it'd be worth getting clearer on the general meaning of belief - what belief is (and isn't). Here's just a single good paragraph from an extensive encyclopedia article on the subject.

Quote:
Philosophers have sometimes drawn a distinction between acceptance and belief. Generally speaking, acceptance is held to be more under the voluntary control of the subject than belief and more directly tied to a particular practical action in a context. For example, a scientist, faced with evidence supporting a theory, evidence acknowledged not to be completely decisive, may choose to accept the theory or not to accept it. If the theory is accepted, the scientist ceases inquiring into its truth and becomes willing to ground their own research and interpretations in that theory; the contrary if the theory is not accepted. If one is about to use a ladder to climb to a height, one may check the stability of the ladder in various ways. At some point, one accepts that the ladder is stable and climbs it. In both of these examples, acceptance involves a decision to cease inquiry and to act as though the matter is settled. This does not, of course, rule out the possibility of re-opening the question if new evidence comes to light or new risks arise.

Sorry to be wordy, but...stuff's complicated.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 pm 

Hopefully this will spark some discussion: the latest 20-page Vatican statement is that sex reassignment surgery, surrogacy and gender theory "threaten human 'dignity' which puts them on par with abortion and euthanasia as practices that violate God's plan for human life".

Quote:
"God created man and woman as biologically different, separate beings, and said they must not tinker with that plan or try to "make oneself God".

"It follows that any sex-change intervention, as a rule, risks threatening the unique dignity the person has received from the moment of conception," the document said.

It also distinguished between transitioning surgeries, which it rejected, and "genital abnormalities" that are present at birth or that develop later. Those abnormalities can be "resolved" with the help of health care professionals, it said.

Does anyone here find this line of thinking defensible? How are we to know what's in "God's plan" and what isn't? Isn't that itself playing God? If we presume the existence of God, for all we know the plan might have been to be born the wrong sex and to undergo sex reassignment and the unique challenges along with it.

I can see a lot of problems with the reasoning here but obviously there are a lot of people in the world who still agree with it. It seems like the Church is increasingly grasping at straws with its reference to 'dignity' (whatever that means) and I'm surprised it's still relevant at all today. I know there have been some Orthodox people in this thread and I wonder what their take on this topic is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next