Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cast_iron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 am 

Hi dudes! Google announced that from December 1, 2023 he would delete accounts on YouTube if they have not been active for more than 2 years https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/12418290 and many clips of different groups that have not been active for a long time disappear forever.
If there are favorite groups that are not active for a long time, then reload their clips to yourself otherwise forever.
By the way, I am engaged in clipographs of Thrash groups http://thrash-attack.ru/forum/21 perhaps this will help. The computer has died and I am engaged in updating from the phone and because of this I will not have time to find and reload the clips of all groups, if you helped it was great.
\m/,

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:49 am 

That's terrible news. So much of these long inactive YouTube channels that uploaded metal and underground music were hugely responsible for my interest in the genre. Google is a fucking joke. It'd be a good idea to get a hard drive to save all these videos...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:39 pm 

Yea this shit sucks.

Unfathomable amounts of things that can't be replaced lost to time.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:27 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Yea this shit sucks.

I'm not sure how old you are, but...."wait until you get old" haha.
I recall at a certain age, shit started going downhill for me LOL

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:42 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Yea this shit sucks.

You can start using one of those nifty youtube to mp3 or even youtube download websites. Sure, the quality dips, but if you're really worried about losing stuff forever, it's an option.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:43 pm 

Google's inactive account deletion policy got a lot of attention earlier this year and they had to clarify whether or not the policy affects unused Google accounts that uploaded Youtube videos. A lot of people were concerned about the possibility of that content being deleted beginning later this year.

https://blog.google/technology/safety-s ... -policies/

This blog post states "Additionally, we do not have plans to delete accounts with YouTube videos at this time." So unless there has been some development since May I don't think that will be happening this year. However since they have the phrase "at this time" in there I do think eventually Google will begin deleting unused/old accounts with Youtube videos. So I don't think you need to hit the panic button but if you want to save something then it's probably better to do so sooner rather than later.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:41 am 

This news is scary, and it goes beyond losing uploads of underground metal tracks from 15 years. If Google just deletes accounts and videos simply for being inactive, then we could see all kinds of classic videos lost in time.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:38 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Google's inactive account deletion policy got a lot of attention earlier this year and they had to clarify whether or not the policy affects unused Google accounts that uploaded Youtube videos. A lot of people were concerned about the possibility of that content being deleted beginning later this year.

https://blog.google/technology/safety-s ... -policies/

This blog post states "Additionally, we do not have plans to delete accounts with YouTube videos at this time." So unless there has been some development since May I don't think that will be happening this year. However since they have the phrase "at this time" in there I do think eventually Google will begin deleting unused/old accounts with Youtube videos. So I don't think you need to hit the panic button but if you want to save something then it's probably better to do so sooner rather than later.

Awesome.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic