Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChaoMaster98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:41 am 

So, I think there's probably a fair few people on this forum who are fans of the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise. If you are, you'll know that the in-game radio is one of the integral parts of the game's experience. This thread is to discuss them.

My favorite station will probably always be V-Rock from Vice City. In addition to the great music selection, Lazlow is a really funny host (the whole joke is that he's obviously not a metalhead but pretends to be cool and edgy).

I also like Channel X from GTA V, but I think Keith Morris is kind of annoying as the host. It did get me into The Adolescents and The Descendents though.

The talk radio stations are great too, my favorite is Chatterbox FM from GTA 3 (Lazlow is the best side character in the whole franchise). WKTT from GTA 4 is another notable mention.

I'm really into this specific part of the games, and hopefully others are too!

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:48 am 

I used to fall asleep at night to Chatterbox and also the one from GTA Liberty City Stories that I had converted in MP3 from youtube. My favorite stations ever are probably from San Andreas, K-Rose and West Coast Talk Radio. Good times!

SentByTheDevil87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:58 pm 

Nice. So I wasn't the only one who enjoyed Lazlow's crazy ramblings! My favorite version of him is the one from GTA IV where is radio show consists of him roaming through the streets of Liberty City and harassing random passer-bys.

Unfortunately, the real Lazlow Jones, who has been co-writing and producing all the radio stations in the series as well as pedestrian chatter, is no longer with Rockstar as of April 2020. So when GTA VI finally releases, there will be no more Lazlow.

My favorite radio station is V-Rock from the Vice City games by far! It was basically my introduction to Traditional Metal. If GTA VI takes place in Vice City, I hope there is a modernized version of it.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:39 am 

Vice City's soundtrack had a profound impact on my music taste. '80s heavy/speed/thrash metal and pop, and music influenced by it, remain in rotation to this day and that game was a huge reason why. A love of funk/soul/RnB from the time as well as '80s hip hop definitely stems from other stations in the game. I adore that game and the music is a big reason why. VCPR, one of the talk stations, was absolutely hilarious and I remember many of its segments to this day. The presenters in general were characters and a half lol, as was the classic Rockstar humour of the advertisements.

Vice City is the one I have the most hours in and most nostalgia for. I did play San Andreas a fair bit growing up and whilst looking back, it had a GREAT soundtrack (arguably better than Vice City's honestly), I don't have nearly as many memories attached to it even though I do remember that game quite fondly too.

Beyond that - I did play Vice City Stories to completion and whilst that was a fabulous game, it'd seem my uh, specially obtained copy had much of its soundtrack missing sadly; many stations didn't function. I've played bits of GTA IV but don't remember the music too well, same with V to an even lesser extent. No doubt they have quality soundtracks too, I just didn't focus on those as much. Also just the fact that I was playing VC when I was something like 3 years old, and San Andreas when I was 6, vs. these other ones that came a fair bit later - they just aren't nearly as ingrained.

ChaoMaster98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:29 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I've played bits of GTA IV but don't remember the music too well, same with V to an even lesser extent. No doubt they have quality soundtracks too, I just didn't focus on those as much.

In terms of metal/punk, GTA 4 had Liberty City Hardcore. In regular GTA 4, it plays hardcore punk, but in the DLCs it plays extreme metal

GTA 5 had Channel X, a purely punk rock station. It's good, I just think Keith Morris is an annoying host.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:08 am 

I can't even lie, GTA V's radio is what got me listening to country and doing a deeper dive into indie pop and post-punk.

I usually focus my listening time on Channel X or West Coast Classics, because there's just something perfect about stealing a fighter jet and jamming out to "Afro Puffs" while dogfighting a sweat.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:01 pm 

My favorite radio stations from the games are from both Vice City and San Andreas. SF-UR in particular was my gateway to listening to a ton of electronic and house music from the 80s and 90s when I was younger.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 pm 

I feel like playing San Andreas and Vice City now

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:19 pm 

San Andreas is to this day my favorite entry in the GTA series and it also has my favorite soundtrack. Hellraiser, Personal Jesus, Midlife Crisis and Them Bones are all highlights for me and they perfectly fit the feeling of cruising around in the game world while getting into various shenanigans.

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:56 pm 

I mostly listened to the comedy talk radio parodies in the early ones, though for the music, predictible it's Liberty City Hardcore and the GTA IV Channel X. I just didn't like the song selections on the V Channel X. I like the idea, but it was just hte type of punk I don't like for the most part. (And fucking FEAR .. .Lee Ving should have been an actor. He's creepy as fuck in Clue, but his band is boring in my opinion).

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought that Laslow was a lot less funny in V than previously. Especially on the radio. He was only slightly funny in the scenes in the storyline, and funnier in the scenes in the Nightclubs DLC, but on tne radio itself, I was disappointed. I don't think I laughed once. I thought the host of the hipster station was funnier. I've quoted his line "These are my choices, people, go make your own!" more than once.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:46 am 

Vice City and San Andreas both had huge impacts on me. Played them both back when they first came out even though I was only 12 and 14 at those times (age rating meant nothing to my dad). To this day (as close as up to a month ago) I get into new bands/artists because I remember a song or two from them, and not just the rock/metal ones. It helps that I still enjoy playing both, with San Andreas being one of my favorite games ever.

I didn't get to appreciate some of the talk show stuff until way later when I got into radio shows like Opie and Anthony (who make some voice appearances in those games).

Can't say any of the other radios or soundtracks from the other games were impactful since they either had terrible soundtracks (GTA III, which as a game has aged horribly compared to VC and SA) or I never cared for them (GTA IV) or never played them (GTA V, portables).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic