Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:06 pm 

EDIT: Thanks all, issue resolved

Last edited by Xeper on Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:09 pm 

Hey there. I read your story on GoFundMe, and made a small donation - sorry I'm not in a place to give more. I've been in a similar life situation (mainly re. mental health and its impact on employment), or rather, I've been in situations where the only thing keeping me from being terribly lower was the sheer accident of having a great support network. All the same, I feel for you.

I imagine it's already crossed the mind of you and your physician, but Social Security Disability may be worth looking into. Mental health conditions such as depression are among the most common reasons people apply. Getting approved, however, can take a ridiculous length of time (often approaching a couple years) and often requires legal assistance - which isn't necessarily unaffordable. (I think a common arrangement is for the client to pay only in the event of a successful hearing, and for the pay to be deducted only from the money that's awarded. And a good outcome would be for the award to include "backpay" - being paid retroactively for past periods of time, dating back to the onset of the disabling condition, when you were legally entitled to benefits but hadn't yet been approved. Also, you can continue to work (on a limited basis) while receiving disability benefits.)

I totally get being anxious about sharing your story online, but for additional encouragement and insight, you might also check out the mental health thread here. In general, however, I think it's challenging to use the Internet for this sort of thing. Hopefully your physician can help connect you or advise you on connecting with a more flesh-and-blood support system, including a therapist. Good luck.

Xeper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:58 am 

EDIT: Thanks all, issue resolved

Reply to topic