Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deadman9497
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:42 pm 

On 6 February Turkey got struck with two devastating earthquakes. 17406 people died and 71806 injured so far.

Please fund: https://donate.tpfund.org/campaign/tpf- ... ke/c465112

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:05 pm 

This is a terrible tragedy. :(
All those destructions look very large-scale (and I also read that the earthquakes have even spread to neighboring countries - such as Syria), and it is also very bad that the weather in Turkey these days is relatively cold, - if there were a bit more chances that some people who remain(ed) alive could be saved from the rubble by the rescuers, but it seems the chances of saving them were/are less because there are more risks that they have already died due to hypothermia.
There are also a very large number of people who are homeless now and who have to live/to sleep outside, and they also have a high risk of hypothermia because of this, so they need help and a heated shelter as soon as possible.

Strength to people from the affected regions, and condolences if someone lost their loved ones from there.

Spoiler: show
I have been donated a little to the humanitarian aid account.

I also read that there have been some small official help from the country where I live - https://www.kmu.gov.ua/en/news/ihor-kly ... urechchyni

I hope many countries and international organizations will do much more to help people from those regions.

deadman9497
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:17 pm 

sjal wrote:
This is a terrible tragedy. :(
All those destructions look very large-scale (and I also read that the earthquakes have even spread to neighboring countries - such as Syria), and it is also very bad that the weather in Turkey these days is relatively cold and that, if there were a bit more chances that some people who remain(ed) alive could be saved from the rubble by the rescuers, then the chances of saving them are less because there are more risks that they have already died due to hypothermia.
There are also a very large number of people who are homeless now and who have to live/to sleep outside, and they also have a high risk of hypothermia because of this, so they need help and a heated shelter as soon as possible.

Strength to people from the affected regions, and condolences if someone lost their loved ones from there.

And there still are people who got stuck in the ruins.

If only we were ruled by a caring government...

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 pm 

It's also worth checking if there are any programs to match your donations. For instance, in Canada, the government will match donations to the Canadian Red Cross.

There are also of course a bunch of other places you can donate, such as the UN Crisis Relief, or any of this list.

thehawksfuckingdead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:19 pm 

Here are some more links shared by some of my Syrian friends!
SOS Chrétiens D'Orient: https://jedonne.soschretiensdorient.fr/ ... tv_PXd7DIM

Molham Volunteering Team: https://molhamteam.com/en/campaigns/439

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 am 

I have nothing much to add except that this is a huge tragedy for both Syria and Turkey. Unbelievable death toll. :( Is this one of the worst earthquakes in terms of lives lost?

I'm also not surprised that the mainstream media in Australia has barely covered it, too. I'm sure that's a whole racist thing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

risermiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:12 am 

According to government reports, 6444 buildings have been collapsed with the devastating effect of these earthquakes. If we consider that an average of 10 people is dead for each building (that is a very optimistic prediction), more than 60000 people lost their lives.

My country is going through one of the most dramatic events that i have seen in my life. We are getting more and more depressed with the upcoming news from the earthquake area.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:52 am 

It was hard watching the news this week. This earthquake has to be one of the worst, right? The death toll is already so high, and there are countless wounded, people who are without home. The worse is that it struck during the night, so most people would have been home. Nothing more to add, just devastated seeing all this unfold.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:47 pm 

Death toll is above 25 000 last time I checked.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I can't remember the last time I got emotional watching the news, but seeing those huge areas in rubble with small children being carried out just broke my heart. And in Syria there is still raging a civil war, so it's not just easy to access for help from the international community.

MikeyC wrote:
I'm also not surprised that the mainstream media in Australia has barely covered it, too. I'm sure that's a whole racist thing.

It could also be an approximation thing. Australia is very far away, but Turkey is basically in Europe, so many countries in Europe are sending aid, so it affects us more. But yeah, it's still weird if it's getting very little coverage, this is a huge disaster.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:22 pm 

Absolutely horrible thing, again hitting during already bad times.

I saw a video where an apartment building (about 10 stores) collapses. Just a couple of second and it's done.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:48 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

It could also be an approximation thing. Australia is very far away, but Turkey is basically in Europe, so many countries in Europe are sending aid, so it affects us more. But yeah, it's still weird if it's getting very little coverage, this is a huge disaster.

It's not an approximation thing. The deaths/disappearances of Nicola Bulley and Breanna Ghey in the last week have been covered here in Australia far more than the earthquakes. Not attempting to take away from these individual tragedies in that statement.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:39 pm 

This is the worst earthquake to hit Turkey in modern times. More than 51000 deaths in Turkey and Syria, 44370 in Turkey alone, and more than 6700 in Syria. Just massive.

Reply to topic