Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 pm 

I've been wondering for a while why we haven't had more modern punk bands making jokes out of the situations we've been in in the past few years with Trump, the pandemic, etc, (Jello Biafra has done some stuff with his "Guantanamo Bay School of Medicine" but I haven't heard him make fun of anti-vaxxers) and I was hoping that a band would specifically target dumb anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists and it looks like finally I found a band that is doing just that.

I just stumbled across these guys on youtube, but I definitely want to download their albums. It's about time a band started taking the piss out of all the dumb conspiracy theorists out there, especially the anti-vaxxers. Funny thing is one of the comments suggest that these guys are "not punk because they are calling out people who question the government" LOL. Not surprised someone would COMPLETELY miss the point that you can just as easily be a dumb follower by following an "anti-establishment movement" just as by "following the government":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VG-b4_lQ2U

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:20 pm 

The band Devil to Pay is more of Down/Corrosion of Conformity sounding band, that has some songs making fun of conspiracy theories. They have a song from 2013 called “ten lizard men and one pocket knife,” which is about encountering reptilian shapeshifters in a cave, but the lyrics make it clear that it’s in some D&D style of game.
They seem to have gone from viewing it as funny entertainment, to actually harmful. Their last album, from 2019, is pretty much all serious lyrics, more serious than a lot of punk or hardcore bands even. They talk about philosophy, morality, psychology and propaganda. It takes a very negative view of that kind of thing, and views it more as pro-establishment black propaganda, for idiots who are too dumb to get what they’re even advocating for.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Reply to topic