Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peacelover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:02 pm 

I just wonder why some bands have broken up and never heard from again,a band like Baphomets Horns.for example. Is there any place to find info like that,why certain bands have broken up and seemed,done?

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 pm 

Bands who split need some incentive to reunite, whether its artistic or financial. Sometimes, that motivation just is not there. I can't imagine that there is some sort of centralized database of breakups and their reasonings because often time those reasons are not made fully public. The closet thing might be Wikipedia.

Peacelover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:56 pm 

Everything you said sounds reasonable/right. Thank you. I appreciate your response.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:01 am 

I think with a lot of bands, probably the vast majority of those that never actually "Make it big," it isn't so much that they "Break up" but rather, they gradually just stop.

In other words, after a while, maybe even after a couple albums, tours and what not, some, if not all, of the band members find it harder and harder to get together and practice, or play shows and record stuff. Maybe one or two of the core founding members will try to keep it going, rally everyone together to actually do "Band stuff" and/or replace members that have gradually drifted away, but find it harder and harder to do so. There may not even be a point where the band unanimously agrees that they have broken up; some of them may actually intend to keep doing music, but simply can't find the time, or the people with free schedules to keep it going. Priorities shift, jobs, families and what not gets in the way. And then maybe after a year or two (or more) of inactivity, the band (or whoever is left of it) will look around and finally decide, "Yeah, I guess we're done."

This is how it is, I suspect, with a lot of bands. They don't really "Break up" or have some big blow-up type deal where everyone storms off and screams "I quit!" Rather, they just taper off, and gradually quit playing and recording.

Peacelover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:20 am 

All you said sounds right to me. Thanks for the response!

Reply to topic