Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:28 pm 

Does anyone else like these bands?

I've just recently discovered all 3 and like them all quite a bit, especially Fawn Limbs who are quite hard to pin down stylistically, and they are all extremely heavy but are not on the archives, which i'm assuming is because they are considered too "core" which I could understand.

I was interested to find out that both Frontierer and Sectioned are from Edinburgh, Scotland, and they both sound very much like "mathcore" to me. Does anyone know if these 2 bands are associated with eachother?

Pennyslvania's Fawn Limbs on the other hand is really different. Some sites refer to them as a mix of mathcore, grindcore and avant-garde metal, but they really don't sound like too many other bands I know.

IMO, I could see them maybe being included on this site, but again, they have a very "core" sound, so I can understand why they aren't.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:06 am 

I'm not too familiar with Sectioned, but I like Fawn Limbs and love Frontierer. They were in Australia just a couple of weeks ago but I missed them. Too bad. I discovered them when Orange Mathematics came out, but I think their 2 albums since have been even better. Looking forward to some more greatness in the future.

EDIT: Alright, this got me to check out Sectioned. It's great. And NYP on Bandcamp? Yes please. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:43 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm not too familiar with Sectioned, but I like Fawn Limbs and love Frontierer. They were in Australia just a couple of weeks ago but I missed them. Too bad. I discovered them when Orange Mathematics came out, but I think their 2 albums since have been even better. Looking forward to some more greatness in the future.

EDIT: Alright, this got me to check out Sectioned. It's great. And NYP on Bandcamp? Yes please. :D

I think MAYBE Sectioned and Frontierer might have some of the same members but I could be wrong. I think it's odd that they are from the same place with how similar they sound to me.

So what would you call this kind of stuff? Mathcore?

Maybe Frontierer and Sectioned, but Fawn Limbs are even harder for me to define, and I'd say they are my favorite of the bunch.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:02 pm 

I just had a look and on the Sectioned Facebook page they talk about their "other band Frontierer", which leads me to assume they both share all or many members.

I would probably call it mathcore, yeah. Frontierer and Sectioned are pretty densely packed.

I'd have to give Fawn Limbs another go but I do remember enjoying them. Just haven't heard it in ages.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:34 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I just had a look and on the Sectioned Facebook page they talk about their "other band Frontierer", which leads me to assume they both share all or many members.

I would probably call it mathcore, yeah. Frontierer and Sectioned are pretty densely packed.

I'd have to give Fawn Limbs another go but I do remember enjoying them. Just haven't heard it in ages.

Yeah I think I already knew that Frontierer and Sectioned were related as they sound so similar, and yeah, mathcore seems appropriate for them, but Fawn Limbs seem to have a whole other style going on, so I'm really not sure what I'd call them.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:57 pm 

Sectioned and Frontierer both have the same guitarist and songwriter, Pedram Valiani.

All three of these bands are mathcore to some extent; Frontierer are mostly straight up mathcore, Sectioned are mathcore mixed with hardcore/powerviolence, and Fawn Limbs (whom I hadn't heard of before this post, but based on what I'm sampling on BC) are mathcore mixed with grind.

Reply to topic