Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:31 pm 

Here goes nothing. I like goregrind gargle vocals. There, I said it. Goes perfectly with the music when done right. In fact, possessing the capacity to enjoy goregrind is something I’m somewhat ashamed of in general, lol.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:51 pm 

Musically, I would enjoy goregrind. It's the gore cover art that sets me off.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:09 pm 

It’s not really something I’m ashamed of but I would certainly not scream it from the rooftop but I kinda still like Korn first three albums. They were essential in shaping my taste in heavy music.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:00 am 

I enjoy some songs from the first two Korn albums, particularly Faget. It's hard to push past Jonathan Davis' voice but I do have to respect the band for pretty much inventing nu metal, which was a completely unique style when they first put it on record.

Spoiler: show
And Daddy is an absolutely terrifying and soul-crushing song, even if you don't know the backstory behind it

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:12 am 

I'm not ashamed to admit that i really dig that whole vampiric black metal scene from the late 90 early 00s. Those corny band pics with ppl wearing plastic teeth and stupid bat capes and whatnot. I really dig the type of music and i have a considerable cd collection of it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:52 am 

The whole concept of a "guilty pleasure" left my brain eons ago. I was so embarrassed when I realized that I really liked Billy Talent (I'm not Canadian so they aren't a rite of passage here) and it didn't take long for me to realize that A) other people's view of your taste doesn't matter at all, like I always say, I have the best taste in music because I never disagree with myself, and B) what really is the motivation behind considering something a guilty pleasure? It's not just something that doesn't mesh with your usual genres, because I had liked plenty of unmetal stuff before and never cared. No I think it might stem from wanting acceptance from a social group and whatever your "guilty pleasure" is tends to be something that your social group already declared is no good so your brain reconciles that it must be bad but you like it for some supernatural reason anyway. Maybe I'm projecting my own teenage insecurities outwards (all my friends were metalheads so I didn't want to admit that I listened to BTII six times last weekend or they'd all think I was gay or whatever) but I think with younger people, it's not an uncommon reason to be ashamed of something that you genuinely enjoy.

Remember: Every fun thing is cringy as hell to anybody who isn't part of the group doing the fun thing. Y'all here can make fun of me for liking The Offspring and my dad can make fun of me for all the corny devil music I listen to. Just enjoy things.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:03 am 

Not really ashamed of anything really, I'll own up to liking what i like without shame...even embrace it.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:17 am 

Yeah, nothing at all. I like some pretty stupid stuff.

I think BH put it well, it's mostly just social pressure and a feeling of wanting to conform. Which is kind of funny given we're using metal as the starting point of accepted taste.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:18 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Musically, I would enjoy goregrind. It's the gore cover art that sets me off.

SAME! It used to mess with me a lot. It still does, actually. Some of it is just disturbing.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:43 pm 

Quite a few TRL-era pop punk bands are fun to listen to, barring a couple that have aged like milk left out in the Sahara desert for several weeks (see: Good Charlotte).
I have seen New Found Glory several times, intentionally.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:24 pm 

I'm pretty sure the only thing I've ever been embarrassed about when it comes to music is some of the slam/brutal death metal stuff I enjoy. Outside of a Malignancy show, the occasions are rare that you can respond to the question of 'what are you listening to?' with 'Oh, you know, Vaginal Skin Grind Vomit by Amputated Genitals' and not feel a little abashed. Some of the album art problems that others have brought up also qualify here.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:36 pm 

"I only listen to brutal stuff, my d00ds" is 1000Xs more cringy than someone enjoying any form of music or art. The closeminded make me feel shame...for them.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:29 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
Not really ashamed of anything really, I'll own up to liking what i like without shame...even embrace it.

This. I absolutely love 70s easy listening / pop / singer-songwriter stuff such as the Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Simon & Garfunkel, and scores of others. Elton John's 70s output is especially awesome. Those CDs sit on my shelf right next to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:38 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
"I only listen to brutal stuff, my d00ds" is 1000Xs more cringy than someone enjoying any form of music or art. The closeminded make me feel shame...for them.

Yeah - the only thing you should be ashamed of in liking music is hating stuff with an extreme closed-minded attitude.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:15 pm 

I know we're all having a love fest in here, but I'm still gonna talk shit about music others listen to.

Obviously, I'll be joking but giving others shit about their music and having people talk shit about mine is a part of life.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:39 pm 

I hate kid rock as a human, and i hate nu metal/rap-rock, but goddamn it why the fuck do i love his songs in the summer time?

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:02 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I hate kid rock as a human, and i hate nu metal/rap-rock, but goddamn it why the fuck do i love his songs in the summer time?

Damn man… I pray you find a cure for that soon.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:04 am 

I like Kid Rock (well, not so much as a person anymore). The first album I ever bought was The History of Rock. I think the run from Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp (1996) up to and including Born Free (2010) is really good.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:46 am 

Kid Rock is Limp Bizkit levels of bad. OK, byee...
Did you need a protection amulet?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:12 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Kid Rock is Limp Bizkit levels of bad. OK, byee...

the crazy thing is - I AGREE WITH THIS.

But god help me, i cannot turn off I Am The Bullgod when it's 30 degrees outside.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:15 am 

I like Limp Bizkit too.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:51 am 

Manowar - Pleasure Slave :oh shit:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:18 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
I like Kid Rock (well, not so much as a person anymore). The first album I ever bought was The History of Rock. I think the run from Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp (1996) up to and including Born Free (2010) is really good.

Interesting. I didn't know that liking Kid Rock was a phenomenon that happens.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:25 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know that liking Kid Rock was a phenomenon that happens.

Lol, up until now I thought it was a distant myth. Something practiced only by suburban white guys in 2002.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:15 pm 

I really like the first 2 Limp Bizkit albums. I also enjoy Six Feet Under, minus the covers and Barnes current vocals.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:02 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
I also enjoy Six Feet Under, minus the covers and Barnes current vocals.

Their covers album(s?) is arguably worse than Kid Rock.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:16 pm 

i really bawitdaba'd this thread. Sorry OP. :(

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:21 pm 

jimbies wrote:
i really bawitdaba'd this thread. Sorry OP. :(

Lol, no worries. I can probably figure out how to upjump the boogie, or whatever the hell he says, haha.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:17 am 

I associate listening to music with joy, and nothing else, so I see no trace of guilt or shame. But it never ceases to surprise me how people experience and cope with cognitive dissonance.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:26 am 

Not much. I unabashedly love the cheesiest power metal, specifically Pathfinder and Twilight Force. The first two albums from those bands are all absolute bangers.

Non metal: I really like ultra-cringe happy hardcore electronic music. It's like eating pure sugar, so I can only handle it for a few songs at a time. It's still super fucking good.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:31 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:39 am 

Space_alligator wrote:

newp wrote:
Yeah, nothing at all...
This.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:18 am 

I once had a few Bad Boys Blue albums on vinyl...

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:26 pm 

CoffeeCat wrote:
The first album I ever bought was Backstreet's Back.

I was like, 5, but still.

Man, that’s a mess.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:19 pm 

I don't think anyone that really knows me would be surprised at anything I like. But there are certainly certain groups of people that would probably have no idea that I enjoy certain styles, so depending on which slice of people I know, it might be extreme metal, hip-hop, bluegrass, girlier pop artists, etc.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:12 pm 

Just bought Slipknot’s self titled, and I am enjoying it. There, I said it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:16 pm 

Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" is a great song.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:27 am 

It's something I laugh about now as a 39 year old, but when I was 16/17, I was really into Insane Clown Posse. I was more impressionable at that age than I'd like to admit, but I also thought a lot of their lyrics were funny and I liked their beats. The only thing that I can consider a saving grace about that misstep is that I was only into the music. I never cared about juggalo culture and did not want to be associated with those people. There were quite a few of them in my grade and every one of them was as big a loser as their reputation made them out to be.

rjkurz47
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:25 pm 

I was into all the nu-metal acts in highschool.... now, 20 years later, sometimes when I'm alone and I have an urge for a guilty pleasure I'll pump my fists in the air for songs like Break Stuff, Freak on a Leash and One Step Closer.

Also I can recite over a dozen Katy Perry songs.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:19 pm 

I like some nu metal. There is a big difference, between the frat boy douche nu metal, and the good nu metal. The douche bands(kid rock, disturbed, Limp Bizkit), have lower quality, and more of a butt rock sound. The good bands took from groove metal, some sludge, some death, some industrial, and weird avant-garde stuff, post hardcore. And the good bands do a good job of the insane vocalizations. It’s the difference between psychosploitation mall music, and mall music that does a realistic portrayal of trauma and anguish.

I’m not ashamed of my music tastes, at all. But I don’t share it, with everyone I meet. If some stranger asks me, I tell them that I listen to stuff that’s really obscure and has only 100 downloads on Bandcamp, but if we have some common ground, I’ll talk about that. I mostly listen to metal, and other styles of rock music. I like some acoustic stuff, usually things that remind me of rock and roll. I’ve seen sitar dhrupad performances, and it reminds me of post rock, with more extreme dynamics. I saw a Tuvan folk band in a bar, and I worshipped Tengger Cavalry at the time.

Listen to mostly rock music is considered a bad thing, by music critics, so they hate me, and want to ascribe all sorts of negative traits to me. But I don’t think the average person cares. If I was ashamed of something, I would probably stop liking it, and stop listening to it.

I never got into ICP. I first heard about, from the juggalos themselves. As someone who always valued things like literacy, condom use, wiping one’s ass, washing one’s hands, and not having heart attacks, I couldn’t.

Edit: okay, actually, I did something shameful, earlier this year. Out of boredom, I listened to the first three Limp Bizkit albums, all the way through, one weekend. They have some more listenable songs, and I was really burned out on life, and drinking a lot. So I asked myself, “why is this considered so bad?” I thought that it was like, 50-60% good? I thought back to 1999. Did the douche Limp Bizkit fans, that were in second grade with me, go on to have happier lives than me? Hadn’t I been jealous, of the lives they lived? Was I missing out on something? If I could fall asleep, and wake up, in the late 90s, and do my life over again, and maybe, just maybe, not have all the health problems, not make the same mistakes, not listen to the same bad advice…imagine that, living in 1999, and being happy. Just some stupid, unintellectual, happy life, listening to Fred Durst’s douche anthems, what would that be like?…I sobered up, and came to my senses. It was more like 5-20% good music, but made almost completely unlistenable, for a variety of reasons. And the rest of what I was thinking was just stupid bullshit anyways. Limp Bizkit still sucks. They even titled their last album that.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next