Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:55 am 

Zerberus wrote:
I used to really love synthwave, but it's geeting to be to hard to find the good stuff among all the trash. So I usually just end up listening to the "old" albums.

I'm also really into gothic rock and post-punk, but mainly the classics.

These days it's mainly the obvious stuff like hard rock and hardcore/punk/crust/d-beat, but I also quite like folk and singer-songwriter stuff if it has the right atmosphere.

Might you know this?

there's this synthwave album released either in 2016 or earlier

the cover was a (bikini clad?) girl who was barefoot, sat on top of a car that looks like a delorean or an alpha romeo that synth associates itself with. kinda like Wet Nellie's shape. (maybe she was holding a guitar?)

the color was peach, sunny, washed out orange, like how Sunbather looks.

the art was definitely angular, like how cubist art looks, but not abstracted at all, (it's as described above)

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:52 am 

Yeah I agree. I used to love Synthwave but nowadays it really is waving through heaps of copycat shit to find some possible rare hidden gems. 99% of it is so bland and overdone with the same old goddamn purple and blue neon albumcovers. So boring. The last release I thought was good was Waveshaper's "CRT Days". And that's only because for me it accurately conveys a true sense of nostalgia for 90s computer gaming and their midi soundtracks. It's not 80s shit necessarily with this song, which made it stand out for me.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am 

I know that the genre has expanded a lot from its original foots, but to me if it's going into 90s nostalgia, it's not really synthwave anymore, it's something else, or at least a hybrid. But I find discovering great synthwave pretty easy. Maybe I'm just lucky, or perhaps I have low standards, but here are a few things that are less known which I find pretty cool.

Spoiler: show

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:34 am 

I have been listening to more new wave, goth, death rock and industrial more these days then metal. Hell I have been digging more psychobilly and outlaw country acts.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am 

Currently attempting to throw myself into the dungeon synth rabbit hole. I love the atmosphere. Those B/W wintery forest album covers with synth tracks that sound like they've been recorded in a soup can 300 yards away... I dig it totally. Recently got infatuated with Yearner's Winternight album and Erdstall's Caverns of Endless. And of course, Mortiis's first demo is still a timeless favorite. If anyone has suggestions of where to go next, my novice ass would greatly appreciate you.

h3artcrush
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:29 am 

In love with that hyperpop stuff rn. My username's a band from one of the best to do it

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2