* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:16 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Can white dudes not play funk? If so, why? I really enjoy some of the early Chili Peppers material.

RHCP is a poor man's Faith No More. Infectious Grooves is also a better funk band than RHCP ever was.

I have to disagree. I've always loved both RHCP and FNM and Mike Patton projects, but FNM just went through a funk-rock PHASE in their early years and later changed their style entirely, and their bassist is NOTHING compared to Flea.

RHCP have stayed true to their original sound for the most part. I mean in some ways they haven't cause they've gotten softer, but their newer stuff has regained some of the old funk sound. In no way is RHCP copying FNM and if anything, early FNM on albums like Epic copied RHCP.

RHCP is funk-rock, whereas FNM does all kinds of stuff, and while I like Infectious Grooves, they are much more one dimensional than RHCP. I like Suicidal Tendencies much more than Infectious Grooves.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 am 

There's a lot of fucking horrible music in the world, but I'll share one which I just discovered this week. Now, not to speak ill of the dead, but there was an electronic pop artist named Sophie who died I think last year. Now, every time I saw this person mentioned online fans would be gushing over the genius of the work; like, we're talking serious adoration here. So I decided to check it out and... I barely have words for this shit. It's like, fucking annoying background music for tv commercials.

Now, I will stand up for dubstep, in case you want to take that opinion with a grain of salt :lol: In specific contexts, it can be quite fun.

Also, the fact that trad Dutch pub music has not been mentioned in this thread is proof either that: there are no Dutchies on this forum, or: that they all love that shit and their opinions on metal are probably really suspect.

I have heard of the mythic Balkan turbofolk in previous threads: hopefully I can do a deep dive on that soon to get the full experience.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2