Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:25 pm 

A friend invited me to the recent Jack White gig at NY's Barclay's Center.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I never heard more than 3-4 songs of his before the concert. I went because a friend had an extra ticket. So i had no expectations.

I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised. Jack White actually kicked some ass.....
He gave the impression of being someone who can hang with ANY of the classic guitarists, but chooses not to show off. He'd solo, and they'd rip! The guy can play. Not what I was expecting at all.

Yesterday, I spent time listening to his studio albums (of all three bands). None of it was nearly as exciting. He definitely holds back in the studio. I still need to give it more time, but I prefer retro bands such as The Rival Sons, instead.

any fans?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:04 pm 

One of my favorites. Seeing him in August in NC... love The White Stripes' stuff and Lazaretto is one of my favorite albums of any genre. The new one Fear of the Dawn rips too - a bonanza of riffs and grooves and weird wonderful sounds. He's got a good feel for lyrical storytelling and musing.

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:06 pm 

I have only ever seen him live with the White Stripes but he was impressive each time. Really cuts loose live.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:51 am 

I particularly enjoy his band The Dead Weather and regret not seeing them live when they came to my city. Their cover of Pentagram's Forever My Queen is great.

I don't mind a few White Stripes albums. Mainly the first two and Elephant.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:04 pm 

I've listened to nothing but White Stripes and Raconteurs these past 24 hours and am, again, pleasantly surprised. Very solid songwriting all around, and a great sound (both bands) to boot. I'd love more guitar soloing, but I suppose that wasn't in the cards for a band forming the mid 90s.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:50 pm 

The White Stripes was more of a stripped down blues act (Icky Thump was their heaviest and most rocking, and the debut was close to that) and Raconteurs did a bit of everything - I guess he's more of a guitar hero live than on the albums. I know his SNL appearance had some crazy soloing. I've always liked his folky Americana stuff as much as the heavy shit personally. All good in my book.

Fear of the Dawn may be what you are looking for.

Reply to topic