Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:13 am 

Pharaoh Sanders - Karma

This is great. Really meditative, spiritual, almost Middle Eastern style. A real trip.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:17 pm 

Creeper - Teenage Sacrifice

They seem to have shed a lot (but not all) of the pop punk influence. Much like the last single, this one is kinda like a mix between Billy Idol and The Sisters of Mercy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:20 am 

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought

Even more crazy and expansive than the other album I tried so far. A loopy, spiritual journey. Colorful and insane. Really digging into this and some Sun Ra this week. A genuinely fascinating subset of music that somehow completely escaped me all this time.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:45 pm 

Population II - II/Onisme

Heavy psychedelic freak out rock from Montreal. This a happy accidental discovery from Bandcamp (I was looking for Randy Holden's "Population II" album). Awesome band.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:07 am 

Van Halen - Everything

Comment: Miaow! Woof-woof! Nee-naw! Ough! (*hoarse high register*:) Whoop!

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:49 am 

Vivaldi: Concerto in B Minor, RV 580 by Avi Avital, a 9 minute ep. Very enjoyable.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:03 pm 

If you're a fan of psychedelic anarchopunk and a wee bit of crustiness, like Bad Influence (a favorite of mine and a continued surprise that so few seem to care about them), this might be up your alley. There really isn't that much out there like this. Kind of weird that more anarcho bands didn't reference Hawkwind, but they didn't, at least not in sound.

Buff/Cress 2020 - I wasn't very familiar with Cress, only having heard their side of the split 10" with Doom a couple times. One of those splits that I only ever listen to one side. Stupid move. Those 10" tracks are good, and these might be better. Said to have elements of Hawkwind, and I can sort of see that; more here than I hear on the 10". Cress's LP, Monuments, is considered by some to be an anarcho classic that came after all the bona fide early classics. I think I might like these Cress tracks even more than their early stuff. And the Buff tracks are even spacier and more Hawkwindish than any Cress. This is a quality split with a couple of bands that really compliment each other.

Buff - Sites, Squats and Towerblocks 2016 - this is Buff's only other release. It might be slightly more spacey and more indie angled than the split, but it is also good.

https://buff.bandcamp.com/

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:49 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
Van Halen - Everything

Any Van Halen specifically?

I don't have a clue what the rest of this mess is.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:28 pm 

Lapko, Kylahullet, Eppu Normali, Apulanta, Viikate, the usual

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:29 am 

Bad Religion, Moonshot, ELO, Midnight Oil, Flogging Molly, The Cure, Coheed & Cambria, Autour de Lucie......damn just too much to list haha

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:08 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
Van Halen - Everything

Any Van Halen specifically?

No, everything. (Well, everything apart from "III".)

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I don't have a clue what the rest of this mess is.

The rest was… supposed to be a rough translation of Mr. Roth's genius ad lib noises into a language everyone can understand.

Now playing: Cock Robin – After Here through Midland

I missed out on most of their stuff in the 80s but better late than never.

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 pm 

If anyone likes hip-hop beats, you can google Palace and you can find a 2 min or so beat by ADTurnup. There are also longer loops, slowed down loops. Good bass as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:43 am 

Sun Ra - The Magic City

Genuine headfuck. A labyrinth of weird drums and keys and stuff. Makes more sense the more I play it.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:30 am 

Husker Du, Archers of Loaf, Pegboy, Seaweed, D.I., Lifetime, Social Distortion, Citizen Fish, Racquet Club, Drug Church \m/

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:10 am 

Tangerine Dream - Oedipus Tyrannus

Dark soundclouds and a couple of sequencers. Like a bridge between their incredibly dark space explorations "Vampira", "Zeit", "Atem" and the lighter "Phaedra". Basically, Pink Floyd's most formless moments in the 60s and early Tangerine Dream were the nursery music that reared later voyagers of the void such as Darkspace etc. "Oedipus Tyrannus" is really entertaining but if it isn't dark enough for you, listen to "Zeit", which sounds like a black hole's digestive system.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:35 am 

Wydraddear - The Castle Above the Mist

Eerie, foggy and mossy dungeon synth. There are no other DS acts that sounds like that, truly unique atmosphere.
Fire walk with me"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:36 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Tangerine Dream - Oedipus Tyrannus

Dark soundclouds and a couple of sequencers. Like a bridge between their incredibly dark space explorations "Vampira", "Zeit", "Atem" and the lighter "Phaedra". Basically, Pink Floyd's most formless moments in the 60s and early Tangerine Dream were the nursery music that reared later voyagers of the void such as Darkspace etc. "Oedipus Tyrannus" is really entertaining but if it isn't dark enough for you, listen to "Zeit", which sounds like a black hole's digestive system.

This is one I always hear in movie soundtracks. Ought to try their real albums.

Boris - Feedbacker

Wide range of moods through this. Like being caught up in waves. Great!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:12 pm 

Oliver Anthony - Rich Men North Of Richmond

Finally broke down and listened to this after seeing the controversy behind the lyrics.

…people like this trash? This is some of the most awful shit I've heard in a while! :lol:

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:38 pm 

deadtome wrote:
Bad Religion, Moonshot, ELO, Midnight Oil, Flogging Molly, The Cure, Coheed & Cambria, Autour de Lucie......damn just too much to list haha

deadtome wrote:

Holy shit, Autour de Lucie, now there's a band I haven't heard mentioned in forums. Love their first album, so dreamy.

I'm on a female-sung luk thung binge lately...down another rabbit hole.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:05 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
deadtome wrote:

deadtome wrote:

Holy shit, Autour de Lucie, now there's a band I haven't heard mentioned in forums. Love their first album, so dreamy.

I'm on a female-sung luk thung binge lately...down another rabbit hole.

That's really cool. I recently got one of their records on vinyl and have enjoyed it. I'm sure you've heard Amesoeurs too yeah? Also French.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Amesoeurs/46747

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:51 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Finally broke down and listened to this after seeing the controversy behind the lyrics.

…people like this trash? This is some of the most awful shit I've heard in a while! :lol:

I think the sound of the song is pretty good, it's the god awful lyrics that are the problem. And the dude has a playlist on his Youtube channel with videos basically saying jews did 9/11. Covid conspiracies too. Dude is a turd.

NP: Colter Wall - Johnny Boy's Bones
There's some really damn good country music coming out right now, and Wall might be my favorite of the bunch.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:48 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

I think the sound of the song is pretty good, it's the god awful lyrics that are the problem. And the dude has a playlist on his Youtube channel with videos basically saying jews did 9/11. Covid conspiracies too. Dude is a turd.

NP: Colter Wall - Johnny Boy's Bones
There's some really damn good country music coming out right now, and Wall might be my favorite of the bunch.

SO true mate, everyone KNOWS George W. and Co. were responsible for 9/11

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:09 pm 

Love this thread \m/

Illuminati Hotties, The Sundays, Liz Phair, Myrkur, Hop Along, The Go's Go's, Weakened Friends, The Runaways, Courtney Barnette...I could go on and on.......yes a theme with my girls.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:32 pm 

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Forgotten how much fun this album was...ironic, witty but also dour and self-deprecating Morrisey at his best with Marr at his jangly best.

frankly, mr shankly don't fuck with me
Did you need a protection amulet?

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:40 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Forgotten how much fun this album was...ironic, witty but also dour and self-deprecating Morrisey at his best with Marr at his jangly best.

frankly, mr shankly don't fuck with me

Always been a fan of The Smiths, also like 'Kill Uncle' quite a bit too.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:30 pm 

Enya - Caribbean Blue

Mellow, serene, peaceful.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:57 pm 

Agnostic Front - Dead Yuppies platter

I dig the music in all of its simplicity, but yelping vocals are an obstacle... Yelps aren't as bad as live, though.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:33 pm 

Moonshot - Agony Walk

New record coming SOON!!

Last edited by deadtome on Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 am 

Ace of Base - The Sign

How do you call this, Euro techno? Euro dance? I've been listening to this stuff a lot lately, specially when playing games

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:27 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Ace of Base - The Sign

How do you call this, Euro techno? Euro dance? I've been listening to this stuff a lot lately, specially when playing games

Did you watch any LotR today?
I love Carach Angren! \m/

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 am 

Bikini Kill - Double Dare Ya

Undeniably a classic.
At least to me.

Lane wrote:
Agnostic Front - Dead Yuppies platter

I dig the music in all of its simplicity, but yelping vocals are an obstacle... Yelps aren't as bad as live, though.

It's very difficult for me to like their albums after "Victim in Pain" because he started sounding like an angry Barney the Dinosaur. As a result, I think "Victim in Pain" is the only album by them I like, lol. I can usually take weird vocals in punk and hardcore (see: Youth of Today) but for some reason Roger Miret annoys me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:48 am 

It's been a while since I played some Bikini Kill - crazy band. Babes in Toyland was another one like them a bit.

The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards

This is fucking mindblowing. Brilliant wild heavy stuff.

The Kills - Ash & Ice

Strong, groovy blues rock - even some cool electronic beats at times. Fresh, catchy. Mosshart is a hell of a singer. Got to try their old material.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:09 pm 

The Effigies

Vocalist John Kezdy died over the weekend in a cycling accident and its led me to revisit their discography. They were one of the originators of the "Chicago Sound" and are often overlooked and appreciated these days, partially because most of their music was unavailable for years and probably partially because of punk scene politics in Chicago and a change (driven by a change in guitarists) from a sort of proto-hardcore to a more post-punk sound that hurt their popularity when they were active in the '80s. I think all their records are great and I'm glad I got to see them play several times (once at an original line-up reunion in the mid 90s and twice when they reformed with a new guitarist in the '00s). John was the older brother of Pierre Kezdy from Naked Raygun who passed away back in 2020 and both John and his wife were wounded in the Highland Park massacre last year (thankfully both recovered), so needless to say that is has been a rough few years for the Kezdy family.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's been a while since I played some Bikini Kill - crazy band. Babes in Toyland was another one like them a bit.

Babes in Toyland were a big influence on Bikini Kill. Kathleen Hanna has talked about her, Tobi, and Kathleen all separately attending the same Babes in Toyland concert and it inspiring all three of them to want to start a band. "Spanking Machine" is one of my favorite albums. I hope that Kat is ok. A few years back, word was that she was in very bad shape.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:53 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Babes in Toyland were a big influence on Bikini Kill. Kathleen Hanna has talked about her, Tobi, and Kathleen all separately attending the same Babes in Toyland concert and it inspiring all three of them to want to start a band. "Spanking Machine" is one of my favorite albums. I hope that Kat is ok. A few years back, word was that she was in very bad shape.

Yeah I did read that. Both cool bands... I have Fontanelle by BiT - a crushing listen, raucous and nasty as any thrash band in attitude.

Sun Ra - The Magic City

This makes more sense every time so I must be becoming part alien or some shit.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:19 am 

Stars Of The Lid – The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid 2001

With Brian McBride recently dying, had to pull out this tip-top shelf ambient album. I listen to a lot of ambient, and this is easily a 1%er. One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. And I'm not really a live music person and have few regrets/wishes of not seeing a live group, but SotL is one I regret not seeing. I had several opportunities and didn't. I have dozen or so live recordings, and they're pretty much all great. Nearly flawless catalogue too. I like all their albums, and strangely enough, Tired Sounds was a mail collaboration, as the two members were living in different countries at the time. It allowed each of them to have the time and space to really contemplate what they other had done. There was no studio rush or time pressures.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:33 pm 

Warrior Soul – Drugs, God and the New Republic

Groovy, danceable mix of American and British alternative rock and hair metal. And early Black Sabbath. No, there's no trace of stoner rock or doom but tracks like "Paranoid" and "Iron Man" had a similar danceable mantra-like quality.

I didn't like them in the early 90s but at the moment they float my boat.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:41 am 

Huora----Normalii?

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:48 pm 

Tod Dockstader - Aerial #2 2005 - was unaware of this series until recently - not a disappointment - ambient and electronic experimentation.
Sad Lovers & Giants - Lost in a Sea Full of Sighs - awesome! and so catchy.
Vex - Sanctuary 1984 - if you like the more tribal drumming side of early anarcho/punk (Exit-Stance, The Exploited - Horror Epics) - really good.
Modern English - Mesh and Lace 1981 - this record is REALLY good - this 1992 CD pressing has their earlier 4AD EPs and a comp track. as if anyone needs a reminder of how cool 4AD was, I only had interest in a small number of 4AD bands at the time, and this was not one of them. I bet this band was great live in that early period. The Swans on Glass EP is excellent.
Euroshima - Gala 1987 - The Smiths in a VW Bug collide with The Cure in an SUV, but also with their own identity - really good record; I'd like to hear an original to compare this to the lossless files; this mastering is shrill and sort of fatiguing, and I would bet it did not sound like this.
Beastmilk - Climax 2013 - more 80's indie influenced stuff and very good.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:16 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Stars Of The Lid – The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid 2001

With Brian McBride recently dying, had to pull out this tip-top shelf ambient album. I listen to a lot of ambient, and this is easily a 1%er. One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. And I'm not really a live music person and have few regrets/wishes of not seeing a live group, but SotL is one I regret not seeing. I had several opportunities and didn't. I have dozen or so live recordings, and they're pretty much all great. Nearly flawless catalogue too. I like all their albums, and strangely enough, Tired Sounds was a mail collaboration, as the two members were living in different countries at the time. It allowed each of them to have the time and space to really contemplate what they other had done. There was no studio rush or time pressures.

Ah, man... Hadn't heard that about Brian McBride. RIP.

Tired Sounds was my first, and is my favorite, SOTL. I've only dipped my toes into the genre now and again, most of the big names (and some smaller ones) not really clicking with me, but FWIW, I doubt I'd be able to find a better album of its kind.

Fascinating fact about the mail collaboration, too. I never bothered to look at the group's bio, other than a peek at Wikipedia... (hence my being unaware of McBride's death). :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next