Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:11 pm 

Dutch Brainstorm festival is reserving ten tickets for Ukrainian refugees. If there are Ukrainian metalheads staying in the Netherlands, they can go to the festival for free by sending an email to [email protected] and showing ID at the door. Swallow the Sun is one of the headliners.

Festival poster:
Spoiler: show

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:04 pm 

The Kyiv Independent's and fellow metalhead Illia Ponomarenko was in the Netherlands this week to deliver a speech about the war. Some choice words on fighting the good fight, his personal experiences and why Putin must be stopped.

https://kyivindependent.com/opinion/ill ... es-pay-off
https://www.raamoprusland.nl/raam-op-rusland/agenda

Quote:
The seemingly easiest way is always wrong. Deals with the devil made out of weakness and desire to sweep the trouble under the rug never end well.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:10 am 

Miikja, thanks for sharing! The work of journalists (both Ukrainian and foreign - who convey real information about events in this war and about the situation/state of things for Ukraine and for the world, and who also help to fight Russian propaganda) during this war in Ukraine, and especially of journalists who work/worked on the front line, is very important.

There are many very good things said in the speech/lecture - both emotional and informative.
For the moral aspects, you can also add the quote "We have no right to hand over this war to our children" by Valerii Zaluzhnyi, which is also one of the most important moral aspect for people in Ukraine. We want children in Ukraine (as well as in the world in general) to have a safer life (both now and in the future), and to protect our descendants from the occupation and genocide.

Last edited by sjal on Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:28 am 

Aldrahn333 wrote:
Not that I'm a fan of, but I think the West should return to the nuclear energy. It is safe and secure and it can starve for cash the regime of Kremlin thugs, since that oil and gas are mostly what generate money for them. In the perspective, no more reliance on authoritarian regimes (China included). And Ukraine should be supplied until help is needed.

I don't follow the news from other European countries as much, but I follow the news from Poland, and it seems that this country (which has no nuclear power plants at all, they only have a nuclear energy research center) is now planning to build a nuclear power plant on their territory, - their planning with a company from the United States was already officially confirmed (the first reactor is expected to become operational in 2033) - https://www.gov.pl/web/klimat/rzad-potw ... j-w-polsce, plus there was also information about negotiations between Poland and South Korea about it. And it seems that this may provide a possibility to use this electricity not only in Poland, but also to export some part of it to the Baltic countries - where the situation with expensiveness/lack of alternatives of sources of energy for electricity seems also difficult to improve/solve...

I'm not a fan of nuclear power plants either, and thinking about that there are several nuclear power plants in Ukraine, including in the oblast where I live, always makes me worry about it (it was even before the start of the full-scale war in Ukraine), but there seems to be no other more effective solution for Poland and, in the end, considering all the pros and cons, this seems like a good solution - Poland needed to find/create alternatives not only to Russian gas but also to coal (including Poland's own mining), which is good because coal mining is a hard work for people (and I don't know how the situation in Poland with it these days, but I remember that there were many accidents and deaths that were related with working in coal mines in Ukraine), and the use of coal as a fuel to generate heat and electric power is bad for the environment - especially given the very negative effect on the climate.
So hopefully these more modern nuclear power plants will be really much safer (compared to older versions of them), and also that the situation in Ukraine and in Europe won't be as unstable/unsafe in the future (i.e. there will be no such big risks of missiles hitting nuclear power plants/terrorist attacks on nuclear power plants).

From what I understood, one of the main problems with nuclear power plants as a source of electricity in many European countries is that it is difficult to find a place to store nuclear waste.
Plus I also remember that there were problems in France when there was a drought in the summer and, in a reservoir (a river?) from which water was used to cool reactors, the water level dropped - so risks of such situations in the future should also be taken into account.
---

As for any news about solving at least a part of the most critical problems with the energy/electricity situation in Ukraine these days, it looks like there is a real hope because Europe and the world is already helping Ukraine a lot with it - https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... CH_22_6502.

And, as for the future, there was also some information about planning to build another nuclear power plant in Ukraine (it was way before the full-scale war started), but personally I hope that, instead of it, in the future we finally will have a possibility to put much more emphasis on renewable/alternative sources of energy - such as solar and wind energy.
There's also this as an alternative source to generate electricity - it looks interesting/promising and is also better for the environment -
https://city-adm.lviv.ua/news/city/hous ... roenerhiiu
(it's about a biogas power plant in the Lviv region. Sorry, I could not find an article about it in English).

Also, given the consequences of all these Russian missile attacks on critical infrastructure, it has become very relevant and safer+more reliable to build/add more decentralized electricity/heating systems in those places where it's possible and where it can be effective.

As for the situation with electricity in the region where I live (Khmelnitsky region), there was a day in October when Russian rockets hit really hard on some electrical substations/distribution stations in the region - and then there was no electricity and water (and there were also problems with mobile communications) in the region for almost a whole day, but, after that, things weren't that bad for residents - there were a few planned outages of electricity for a few hours, but that's about it.
Plus, as before, people should use electricity sparingly in general, and especially do not use high-voltage appliances during peak hours.

The only thing is that the whole (as far as I heard/read) of western Ukraine began to use street lighting sparingly - i.e. in the city where I live, for example, street lighting almost does not turn on in the evening (plus there are no street lighting at night at all) - which is good for reducing the electricity consumption during peak hours (to protect the system from excessive loads) and for saving electricity.
The only significant problem with it is that it has negative consequences for the safety of people on the roads - there was information that the number of 'after-dark' road traffic accidents with hitting pedestrians has increased these days.
To be honest, in this particular situation, it's partly people themselves are to blame, and they really could make their lives a little safer, - I do not drive a car but I often ride a bicycle in the evening, and, from what I saw in my city, despite the fact that the local government and the national police strongly recommended pedestrians to become more visible to drivers in the evening/at night and to wear some reflective elements in a way like in these illustrations - https://rivne1.tv/images/photo5397595970977508790.jpg or to wear reflective vests, for some reason, the vast majority of people continue to ignore a very real and affordable (it's available and at low cost here) possibility to use elements that reflect light, sadly - many of them also tend to cross the roadway in unexpected and unsafe places and, at the same time, to be completely invisible (dressed in dark clothing, and without even any kind of handheld flashlight, at least) to drivers, until the distance between becomes dangerously close - when pedestrians just suddenly appear 'out of nowhere' under the headlights of a driver's/rider's own vehicle..
I never ride fast, but still, this situation with this increasing risk of injuring one of those pedestrians makes me worry.

I remember there were many special programs (long before the war) when police just came to schools and handed out free reflective elements to children and explained why it is so important to wear it in the evening (as well as why it is so important to follow the rules of pedestrian traffic across the roads in general), but how to force adults to use reflective elements - those who tend to ignore it, even if they heard information about it?
It is really sad. :(
Especially when you read about the positive examples of active use of reflective elements in Europe (I read about Estonia, for example) and how it helped to reduce a rate of pedestrian deaths/injuries on the roads.
Ukraine, compared to many other European countries, has always had a higher rate (for various reasons) of deaths of pedestrians in traffic accidents on the roads, unfortunately.

(Sorry, I hope it's okay to post such lengthy posts with opinions/information about the situations with energy resources in different countries (and how the war affects/changes it) here - it remains a very relevant aspect of what is related to this war, plus I think information/discussions about different sources of energy is also important in itself. For me, it is/would be interesting to read opinions/experiences from other countries about it)
---

Unfortunately, Russia's use of energy resources as a weapon/blackmail and/or as negative influence on safety and social/political situations in countries remains a very real thing.
I wrote this -
sjal wrote:
Ukraine also stopped exporting its electricity to Europe due to this situation (but as far as I understand, this is not too critical for Europe).

but this turned out to be not entirely true, so I would like to correct it - there is Moldova (which had 30% of its electricity as an import from Ukraine) that has big problems with electricity these days, and Ukraine cannot help them with it (because Ukraine itself has big problems with electricity - after Russian shelling of critical infrastructure), unfortunately.
More details about the energy (both gas and electricity)/political situation in Moldova and how it is related to Russia here -
https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/ ... 2/7149857/
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1049 - it's about the USA reaction to it (sanctions against pro-Russian politicians, etc.)
---

There has also been a lot of disturbing news about another Russian threats to disrupt/stop the work of the ''grain corridor'', but it seems Turkey/the UN have made the situation more stable - so hope for the best.
Here are statistics by the UN on the work of the ''grain corridor'' in previous months -
https://unsdg.un.org/latest/stories/thr ... -important
https://unctad.org/news/black-sea-grain ... ower-trade

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:18 pm 

Херсон - це Україна! ♥

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:01 pm 

The liberation of Kherson must be an incredible boost to morale, for the Ukrainian military but also the country in general. Very, very pleasing to see the happy faces of people coming out to greet soldiers. I suspect we'll witness similar scenes from other regions in the months to come. Can't wait!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:37 pm 

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63593855

This is quite worrying...
Fire walk with me"

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:53 pm 

Maybe the US and/or Israel will provide Ukraine with the best possible air defense system(s). Not.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:35 pm 

Russia just shot a missile into Poland, attacking a NATO ally. This is an article 5 violation and a prelude to more terror. The free world cannot let this one stand

Like Adam Kinzinger says if we don't take out Russia in one decisive blow Putin will keep attacking and enslaving countries year after year.

https://kinzinger.house.gov/news/docume ... tID=403007

It's time for war.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:04 pm 

.....so you're OK with everything going to absolute hell as a result? You realize if it WASN'T a military superpower as the aggressor then it wouldn't be such a delicate situation?

But sure, whatever fits your narrative, buddy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 pm 

And anyway, said missile seems to have actually been shot off by...Ukraine. https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... e7bb06264e

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:14 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Maybe the US and/or Israel will provide Ukraine with the best possible air defense system(s). Not.

Ukraine started to receive NASAMS systems from the USA and they were even used during that last massive Russian missile+drone attack on the territory of Ukraine, and they seem to be really effective here - US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin noted on November 16 that the US-provided National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System (NASAMS) had a 100% success rate in intercepting Russian missiles (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxFz7q941w).
I also read that those few IRIS-T systems that Germany sent to Ukraine have been also very effective.
Resently, Sweden has made the new announcement of additional support also with air defences to Ukraine.
+ HAWK systems from Spain - despite that they are not modern, I read that they also can be quite effective, and it's also a plus that there are many missiles for these systems (and they are not so expensive in comparison).

The problem with it is that the territory of Ukraine is large so it's very difficult/impossible to effectively protect it completely from Russia's missile/drone attacks, especially in those cases when they have mass character. So, for now, Ukraine has to continue using what is available here in relatively large quantities - and it's mostly these Soviet S-300 systems.
I also read that there are not as many systems like these and their modern analogues in those European countries that are NATO members because their air defense relies more on air-to-air system, i.e. military aircrafts, - so Europe cannot help Ukraine with it that much.

There is this statement from the NATO Secretary General that they understand the need to increase an amount of air defense supplies to Ukraine - https://www.nato.int/cps/uk/natoh/opini ... dLocale=en, so there is a hope that this may improve situation with it in Ukraine in the near future.

As for Israel, they have been providing humanitarian aid to Ukraine, but they seem to prefer not to get too involved in this war, and so it seems very unlikely that they will give/sell anything weapon-related to Ukraine.
Plus Israel also has a difficult situation with some of their neighboring countries these days (and always), so I don't know..

---

It is very sad and tragic that there are deaths of Polish people because of this war :(, my condolences to Poland and to the families of those two people who died.

Yes, Poland, the West and NATO said that this looks much more like an accidental case in Ukrainian air defense work, so this mention of "escalation/an article 5 violation and the like" here in this thread and in Ukrainian/Western media+some official statements looks very recklessly, especially considering how much has been done by the West/NATO and Ukraine before - to avoid escalation in this war (NATO even refused Ukraine's requests to protect at least the western part of Ukraine (which could also reduce the risks to our neighbor countries) from Russian rocket attacks because it could be considered as a direct NATO intervention in the war).
To me in this situation it is much more relevant to mention that the NATO monitoring systems/air defence forces in Poland+other countries (that are NATO members) bordering Ukraine should be strengthened/improved - in order to increase the protection of people there and to prevent incidents like these in the future. Poland has the full right to emphasize the importance and need of more careful and extensive protection of its airspace and protection of people living in Poland during this war.

I am not a military expert/analyst and know almost nothing about it, so I don’t know what/how to comment it in more detail and in a more technical way, sorry (and there have been the expert examinations of this incident - so I think there will be a more detailed official conclusion and explanation from the experts after some time anyway), so I'll just write a little now - what I know/read about it: there was a massive Russian attack with missiles and drones on that day (apparently due to the Russian dissatisfaction with the G-20 summit, or maybe it was just another planned Russian attack), and especially on critical energy infrastructure in the western regions of Ukraine, - so the Ukrainian air defense had to work very intensively and there was a risk that some air defense missile might not hit the Russian rocket and might fly further.
From what I understand, in theory, these Soviet missiles (surface-to-air type) that are used for S-300 air defense, if they do not hit the target, they must self-destruct in air (but its wreckages can also be dangerous - from what I remember from the news during this war, they usually fell somewhere in deserted fields, but there were also cases when they accidentally fell on buildings/roads and hurt people, unfortunately :(), but since these systems and missiles are old so there are also risks that some of them will not self-destruct in a proper way and time in the air, and then there can be much more damage when they will fall to the ground.

+ There is also this official short statement from the White House about this situation - https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -watson-2/
--

As for the situation with electricity in Western Ukraine after the last Russian missile attack, it was the worst one compared to previous attacks - many cities and villages did not have electricity for a long time (in the city where I live, electricity appeared only late in the evening on the day of the attack, but as for the next day - it disappeared again for almost a whole day and appeared only early this morning).
These were emergency outages, but people have also been warned that, because of the worsening of the situation with the electricity supply system after the latest missile attack, planned outages of electricity will be more frequent and longer than before.

The weather has become colder in Ukraine (in my city, even first snow of this season fell today), but since the heating system is working, hopefully people don't turn on the electric heaters en masse and there will be no risk of overloading the electricity system because of it.

In general, people here have learned to treat with understanding, patience, and with pre-planned approach 'everyone should always be prepared that suddenly there will be no electricity/water/heat for a relatively long time' to situations like these.
Plus we have candles, flashlights, LED bulbs with backup power (like this - https://www.google.com/search?q=LogicPo ... 6&dpr=1.25), bulbs/flashlights that are charged by solar panels, etc., power banks; we also made it a habit to stock up on water (and there is also a possibility in the city to draw water with a bucket from a well - in the case when there is no electricity at all).
Many grocery stores and pharmacies use portable generators of electricity here.
Also, most houses (both private and apartment) here have gas supply - so we can use gas stoves for cooking/heating water.
And in most private houses (and in the absolute majority of houses in villages) there is the possibility of individual heating and cooking in the 'traditional way' - by using stoves and firewood.

Most importantly, critical facilities (such as hospitals) here all have individual generators of electricity, and some of them also have individual heating systems.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:20 am 

JCP524 wrote:
Russia just shot a missile into Poland, attacking a NATO ally. This is an article 5 violation and a prelude to more terror. The free world cannot let this one stand

Like Adam Kinzinger says if we don't take out Russia in one decisive blow Putin will keep attacking and enslaving countries year after year.

It's time for war.

Calm down there, no one wants to see nuclear war.

Not only that but it was likely a defense system. Not blaming Ukraine, of course, they wouldn't have to defend themselves if Russia didn't invade. Even if it had been Russia, it's unlikely it would have triggered Article 5, simply because no one with a cool head and no suicidal ideation wishes a war with a nuclear power. It's much more likely that it would have resulted in increased support for Ukraine, increased sanctions against Russia, another round of assets seizure, the arrest of diplomats, and increased NATO presence. Maybe going as far as NATO systems to shoot down missiles close to the border.

Anyway, it really sucks that those two poles ended up being collateral damage. War just sucks. I hope whatever cancer or disease is eating Putin picks up the pace.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:27 am 

Contrary to popular belief, invoking Article 5 is not the go ahead to hit some big red button to launch a full-scale nuclear attack on the Russkies.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:37 am 

JCP524 wrote:

It's time for war.

You're a dingus.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 am 

Hey Sjal, how's it going in your place? I read that the first snowfall in Ukraine is happening so I hope people will have alternative heating when regular systems are out. I'm wondering how you are dealing with these circumstances. It's totally fine if you'd rather not discuss your personal situation of course. Before, I'd say 'stay safe' but we have to add 'stay warm' to that now as well. So, stay safe and stay warm!

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:17 am 

Today, people in Ukraine will light candles in the evening not only because many of us do/will not have electricity in our houses (there are planned/emergency power outages for a few hours 1-2-3 (depends on a day) times a day in my region these days, and there are regions with no electricity at all - due to the complete destruction of the sources of generation of electricity by Russian occupiers - as in the city of Kherson) but also for a symbolic reason - in memory of the Holodomor-Genocide victims

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:36 am 

Miikja wrote:
Hey Sjal, how's it going in your place? I read that the first snowfall in Ukraine is happening so I hope people will have alternative heating when regular systems are out. I'm wondering how you are dealing with these circumstances. It's totally fine if you'd rather not discuss your personal situation of course. Before, I'd say 'stay safe' but we have to add 'stay warm' to that now as well. So, stay safe and stay warm!

Thank you for your kind words! :)
I was and will be okay, I have possibilities and additional/alternative plans (A, B, C,..) in cases where there is/will be no heat/electricity/water/gas/or all of them at the same time (but there is a hope this doesn't happen and there will always be a posibillity to use at least gas - fortunately, Russia didn't bomb the gas lines here as much as the electricity system) for quite a long time in my house, there is no need to worry about me in this particular situation so much.
We had no heat (povided by the central heating system) and almost no electricity here for the past three days (after another Russian missile attack on critical infrastructure), but since the temperature outside was not too cold (lately it was from -5 to +2°C), and since I live in a quite warm (with thick brick walls and double glazed windows, plus with heat-insulating front doors and insulated floors) house (apartment-type), it wasn't too cold for me - so I just drank a few more cups of warm tea and dressed a little warmer than usual during those days, that's all.

(I actually mentioned on the MA forum about one of my methods of keeping warm when there is not warm enough in the house :) - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132358&p=2989620&hilit=sjal#p2989620, later in the thread a MA user from Norway found it funny for some reason... Well, despite the fact that it can be quite cold in Norway in the winter outside, maybe people in Norway did not/do not have such problems with heating of their houses inside as in Ukraine (or in some other European countries, where, even if Russian missiles do not bomb their critical infrastructure, gas/electricity is very expensive these days - so people use gas and electricity sparingly, plus there are also many people in European countries who have a higher level of ecology-related awareness and responsibility - and therefore they try to use such resources sparingly not only for economical reasons but also for environmental reasons - like in Switzerland, for example)... or maybe it's just because this is a forum that has a lot more men than women and therefore most people here don't know much about this kind of clothing. :)

The method of warming yourself using hot water in a bottle is also one of my favorites, and it is also easy to do (if you have at least some minimum of pre-stored water and any opportunity to heat it up) and effective to use, especially if you want to warm yourself before falling asleep:
To make the simplest heating element, you need to take a plastic bottle and pour hot water into it. At the same time, you do not need to use boiling water, which can deform the material. Then you just need to close the bottle tightly with the bottle cap and to wrap the bottle with a towel or a thick cloth - and use it as intended. As an option, you can prepare a few such bottles and warm yourself under the blanket.)

Now the central heating system has returned to its normal operation, so, right now, I have no problem with it.

As for alternatives for the most 'desperate' situations, I personally have relatives in the city who live in a house with the possibility of 'traditional' heating with firewood/coal, and who are willing to shelter me for a few days/weeks (plus I also have a small ''summer house'' with both gas supply and with a stove on firewood, but it is located outside the city and it's a bit tricky to get to that place out of season because shuttle buses don't go there in the winter, and it's too cold to ride bicycle/a bit too far to walk to that place).

A lot of people in the city I live have relatives in the nearby villages, so in theory, if they are in good relationship with them and if the housing conditions and a size of the house allow, they may ask to live with them for some time in the most colder days or to come to the villages only for the weekends/overnights and then go to work in the city by bus/car.

But I also have to say that there are a lot of those people in Ukraine (especially women with children of early age, disabled children; people of advanced age) who have a much harder time in situations like these/who have no other choice than leave their homes in Ukraine and go to Europe this autumn/winter as refugees.

Edit: there is this initiative from the Ukrainian government - https://nezlamnist.gov.ua/ (it's for cases of long-term emergency power outage (more than 24 hours)).
In general, ordinary people in Ukraine find that it can be a really good and helpful solution for the most critical situations (and especially a really good solution for the cities that were recently deoccupied, such as the city of Kherson, - and, from what I read/watched, such points really do exist and are functional, effective and helpful there), but at the same time people are not very optimistic about how effective this will be implemented in practice and not sure if there are possibilities and enough resources (portative generators - which have become scarce+expensive in Ukraine these days, etc.) in local municipalities to implement it these days.
(On a side note, people also find that there was no need to be that 'creative' about the name for these points - because it sounds strange and no one is going to call it that way in their casual conversations; "the heating points" that always were provided in many cities by the local municipalities in the most cold and frosty weather in previous winters sounded 'natural', "invincibility centers” just...doesn't and it sounds more like a name of some self-promotion company from the government).

I checked out the list for the city I live, and there are a few addresses of such points in my city, one of them is a local school which is located within 10 minutes walk from where I live, but I have not yet go there and do not know if this point is provided with a generator for periods when there is an outage of electricity, etc. ( I'll visit it. It would be really good if there was a possibility for people at least to charge a flashlight and mobile phone, to boil water, and also to have a place where you can get warm in general in the most critical situations; and I could also make a small contribution there and share with people some of my stocks of tea and cocoa, and to give some warm clothes if needed.)

There has not been such a critical need for it in my city yet - despite that the outages of electricity here are much more often and for longer periods than before, it is still possible to charge your flashlights/phones/power banks during those hours when there is electricity at home/at work (plus it's also still enough for refrigerators and freezers to keep food cold/frozen, which also can be quite important for people here, especially for those who store a lot of certain kinds of fruits/berries and vegetables/food herbs in a freezer for the winter time (which, from my experience, allows you to economize and not buying much of this kind of food during winter and at the same time to have a possibility to make your diet more varied and healthier. A lot of people from my region live or have relatives in villages / have land plots with "summer houses" and fruit/vegetable gardens in the countryside / and there are even quite a lot of smaller fruit/vegetable garden land plots inside the city, - and therefore a lot of people here have a possibility to grow their own food), although I read that such frequent 'turn off/on' of electricity can have a negative effect for the motors of this kind of household electrical appliances), plus, as I mentioned before, there are many places in the city where people use portable generators at work/in grocery stores/cafés, and some (chain) grocery stores and cafés even provide the possibility for visitors to charge mobile devices, and I also heard that a Ukrainian postal company "Nova Poshta" provides the possibility for any people to charge mobile devices in their post offices as well.
Plus, the weather is still not too cold, and the work of the central heating system is relatively stable here.

---
The worst scenario that can happen with houses with the centralized heating systems in cold weather with frosts is not so much a shutdown of the systems, but not doing timely draining of water from the systems by housing companies, as it was in the case in the city of Alchevsk in 2006 -
Winter disaster of 2006

On 22 January 2006 the district heating system of the city almost entirely collapsed after an underground heat pipe line cracked in unusually cold weather (nearly −30 °C). As a result, heating equipment in the majority of Alchevsk's buildings was frozen and ruptured, leaving about 60,000 residents with only the protection of individual electric heaters. A few days later the sewage system also froze due to a lack of warm tap water.

An investigation revealed the massive, long-time negligence of the city authorities. The whole heating system was designed in a hyper-centralized way, depending on only two boilers and few main pipelines. Moreover, the housing company failed to react to the pipe incident properly: the water from the system wasn't immediately dumped to prevent further freezing.

but since there were already official reminders about instructions on what the companies must do to prevent this kind of disaster in situations like these, there is a hope that disasters like these will not happen.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:18 pm 

Here is another report by UN Human Rights Office about Ukraine during the war -
https://www.ohchr.org/en/statements-and ... on-ukraine
The situation is horrible. :(

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:43 pm 

Thank you for keeping this thread alive, sjal. I don't always post because frankly I just don't have the words beyond platitudes, but I appreciate everything you write. Good luck and stay safe.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:04 pm 

I agree with Morrigan. Thank you for keeping us informed. I know it is not much use, but I keep you all in my prayers and try to maintain others informed around here, as much as I can. Thank you.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:57 pm 

Morrigan, thanks again for your support and for your kind words.
And many thanks to everyone in this thread and on MA in general, who supported and continue to support Ukraine throughout 2022.
Sorry for the late reply, I still need a bit more time to form something that won't seem like a rambling emotional stream. I'll try to write about it later.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:19 pm 

sjal, may 2023 finally bring peace to you and your country. Stay safe.
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 am 

^ I agree. To sjal and all the people of Ukraine, I hope 2023 is a much better year and this madness can end.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:04 am 

^^ Agreed! Much hope and courage in 2023! I know Ukraine will stand strong and triumph. Slava Ukraini!

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:41 pm 

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/01/14/7384858/

Today, the Russian military has committed another major act of terrorism on a civilian building in Ukraine - a lot of destruction, wounded people, and there are already deaths among residents of the building. :( And it is not known how many people are under the rubble, rescuers will work all the night.

A Russian rocket hit a building with 16 entrances and about 1,700 residents. There are 72 apartments in the destroyed entrance. According to information from registrations, these are 100-200 people (about 50 children). The entire house has no electricity, gas, and windows. In fact, more than 1,000 people need to be provided with shelter/warm.

There has been promising news about transfers of several air defence systems, including even "Patriot" air defense systems, and also several Russian missiles were shot down today by using the anti-aircraft systems that the Ukrainian military already have, but the situation is still very difficult and there is no way to completely shoot down all those missiles during Russian intense attacks and to protect people here. :(

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:45 pm 

Russo-Ukrainian NSBM band M8L8TH has released a new single.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:31 pm 

Could we fucking not hijack this thread to post about fucking Russian NSBM sleeper agents posing as a Ukranian band?

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:16 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Could we fucking not hijack this thread to post about fucking Russian NSBM sleeper agents posing as a Ukranian band?

Do you think M8L8TH could be working for Putin to discredit Ukraine and make them look like Nazis?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:51 pm 

I just think it's goofy that a band full of Nazis that fled Russia to Ukraine to escape the authorities from murder charges are suddenly being parroted as heroic patriots fighting the good fight.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 am 

Wow, it also fucking sucks as expected. Sounds like Dschinghis Khan goes metal. Seriously, fuck this nazi scum.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 am 

funeralravens wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Do you think M8L8TH could be working for Putin to discredit Ukraine and make them look like Nazis?

I don't think I'd be surprised if Putin had to turn to shitty Russian NSBM bands to spread his propaganda.

Also, here's my mandatory "Fuck M8L8TH" whenever they're brought up.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I just think it's goofy that a band full of Nazis that fled Russia to Ukraine to escape the authorities from murder charges are suddenly being parroted as heroic patriots fighting the good fight.

I agree, but unfortunately Ukraine can't afford to be picky in this regard. When the conflict started to get hot, units like Azov were among the few forces that Ukraine had with equipment and training to resist the Russian and Russian-backed separatist forces. The early membership of Azov was sourced from football clubs, bikers, right wing militias, and even just gymbro survivalist innawoods types. It's difficult for us to engage with this, because there is a language barrier and they mainly use Telegram for social media. I know that Azov is regarded as very heroic defenders, and it's undeniable that they have many cases of displaying Nazi symbols in their uniforms. It's just the reality of the situation.

I don't know what the perception of Alexey in particular is in Ukraine. Obviously to me he's a scumbag that should face his sentencing in Russia. And there is no doubt that he is a fullblown Nazi.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:52 pm 

I think I wrote about it here before.. The reality is that the absolute majority of people in Ukraine simply do not know about the existence of all those NSBM bands (whether they are Ukrainian or Russian), - metal music in general is not even close to well-known/popular here, let alone black metal.
I know about the existence of such Ukrainian BM bands as Nokturnal Mortum because, at the beginning, when I discovered black metal music (the first black metal bands that I heard were from other countries), I hoped that I would be able to find something that I could get into/find it acceptable amount Ukrainian black metal bands, but then I found out about the existence of such a totally unacceptable subgenre as NSBM and that Ukrainian black metal bands tend to have this kind of lyrics/personal views - and after that I completely lost interest in Ukrainian black metal, I don’t listen to it and I don’t support it.
As for black metal bands from Russia, I know nothing about them at all, including the band that was posted here.
Of the few Russian metal bands that I liked, almost all of them were doom metal bands with normal lyrics that have nothing to do with racism/politics and, from what I knew about them/their views, they were OK.

As for supporting the Azov Regiment, the thing is, they are officially a part of the Ukrainian army (as a unit of the National Guard of Ukraine whose members also have been actively present on the front during the war), and this year's current budget of Ukraine is ~one half for military needs, so, technically, if you live in Ukraine and pay taxes, you automatically support the Ukrainian army, including the Azov Regiment, like it or not.
Live with this information and use it whatever you want..

There was also this article with questions and answers about the Azov Regiment - this was posted by volunteers in Ukraine who speak English well and who communicate with foreign journalists - https://ccl.org.ua/en/claims/euromaidan ... -the-west/
I don’t know how ''authoritative''/trustworthy this would be for you personally.

Wilytank wrote:

This seems more like the thread being used as some kind of 'outlet' for anger/negative emotions in general in this way..

funeralravens, I saw your posts in the thread about the USA politics, I'm very sorry that the situation in the country where you live (you are from the UK, right?) has become worse, it's particularly sad that the situation with National Health Service there is so bad these days.

If you blame Ukraine because your financial situation has gotten worse, you can say it here, using direct words, it's okay.
The situation here in Ukraine is not good either so I understand things like these, and I have a personal experience of it.

I would advised you this thread as some kind of 'emotional outlet' if you have not seen it before - http://www.doom-metal.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=12425 , but I don’t know if you want to read anything from someone who supports socialism so much, because, according to your posts in the topic about the USA, it seems you are not really into it...
(I personally only scratched the surface of those walls of text, but it looks like there are actually some realistic/rational notes about the situation in the world in general.)
On the other hand, there are many mentions of Ukrainian Nazis, there is active use of Russian propaganda narratives, and accusations against Ukraine (and sometimes its closest supporters - such as Lithuania :() for all the present/(possible) future problems/catastrophes in the world are present in many posts as well… I think I can cope and live with it if someone will post/discuss all those things here in this thread (but I don't know if administrators/moderators of MA will be OK with all of it).
In general, it seems that the thread on doom-metal.com at least partially fits into this description that Morrigan once gave in the thread on MA:
Morrigan wrote:
If there's one thing that's truly, truly obnoxious about far-leftists, it's how much they hate the US so much that they start pivoting to borderline (and sometimes not even borderline) defending other authoritarian regimes, or handwave their responsibilities just so they can shit on the USA)

(If I just misunderstood your emotions, then I'm very sorry and my apologies to you)

My only very please to the people on MA would be - please, don't take your anger out in real life - on those Ukrainian women and children who are refugees in your country.

Edit: many typos (sorry).

Last edited by sjal on Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:58 pm 

sjal, no, I don't blame Ukraine for this, it would be silly. The blame is on Putin's regime entirely.

I didn't really post that moloth song to vilify Ukraine, although the idea that they don't count since they're originally from Russia is silly as well. It's well known that NSBM bands have ties to the Azov regiment, and I'm neutral about it. It's just how things are. I just thought their situation was pretty interesting in context of current events.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:56 pm 

Thank you for the answer.

I know nothing about that Russian band and if/how they are connected with Azov, so I can neither confirm nor deny it, but I agree that in general the whole story of Azov is very questionable/disturbing in itself, plus it is also very bad that Russian propaganda actively use it all the time and is trying to make it even worse / to exaggregate it as much as possible.

lord_kexasthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:20 pm 

ow, Ukrainian propaganda and brainwashing has reached a point where they are accusing “putin” of sending russian nazi black metal bands to ukraine to tarnish their image. Western totalitarian propaganda never fails to deliver.

And i put the word putin in “ “ because as someone not from europe or russia or the first world altogether, i am absolutely sick of seeing putin referred to as this vilified authoritarian figure instead of just referring to it as Russia. Ultimately “putin” has way more national backing and approval than most of those miserable wretched western totalitarian propagandists head of states will probably ever have. Westerners really still cant fathom how much we are sick of their propaganda altogether. For the first time ever many countries are having to say no to their warmongering in ukraine despite them not really liking russia either, but the level of disdain people now have to western propaganda has crossed all limits that they dont care anymore about repurcussions from usa and the west whether they are economic or military.

Just imagine that the same country that mobilized the whole world back in the day through disgusting propaganda and war mongering to invade iraq and destroy any semblance of civilization in it, and shamed anyone not backing them back then (even their own staunch allies like Hariri here in lebanon was admonished for not supporting them in their iraq war), imagine that this small country oceans and continents away from mainland USA was simply demolished without any reason but for economic and political superiority, and instead of the world cancelling USA, everyone had to suck up to them and follow them. No one banned USA or UK or ukraine (who participated in the invasion) from any political leagues, nor from sport competitions nor from singing competitions, or from economic leagues,( obviously no one dared to sanction them but that goes without saying), no corporation boycotted them, whitney houston and aretha franklin werent canceled, nothing whatsoever could be done against them, in fact it was the other way around, everyone had to shut up and do what USA says, and if anything cancel the very country they were invading. But Russia moves a few kilometres next to their borders where its very existence is historically intertwined with, whether linguistically or culturally or ethincally or economically, and an area where the west had been igniting their flames of war whether through a violent coup against a democratically elected president, or through abuse against minorities associated with Russia, and all hell breaks loose, and russia is suddenly virtually nuked from existence because of the invasion.

And i am not here specifically to defend russia because to us in general, russia has been the USA’s helping hand here in the middle east in a lot of ways, and we are not stupid, we know the endgame between russia and the west (specifically USA and france)is they will ultimately form a liberal alliance once ukraine goes into civil war in the coming years and completely desintegrates and reform the area between them, so im not defending russia per se, but highlighting how much we hate western propaganda beyond how you can imagine. i mean you want to talk about casualties, in iraq for every iraqi soldier killed there were 1,000 civilian casualties and for every US soldier killed a 1000 iraqi soldiers killed. But as arabs we had to shut up and suck it, but in ukraine after one hour of war, headlines of genocide and mass murder and whatever you can imagine were spread everywhere. Despite that there have been way way more russian MILITARY casualties than ukrainian CIVILIANS casualties, which of course are casualties that are not even caused exclusively by russia but by both sides. Doesnt mean this is okay, in the end russia has to be careful because in a way its its own people in there as well, but this just goes to highlight how russia’s war in ukraine is practical and delicate and sensitive whereas USA’s war was just against some unrelated “barbarian” arabs who can senselessly die, so who cares.

This is just one example i used just to show the magnitude of disgust you can imagine people here feel, and by the way iraqis and and syrians for that matter in general dont like either USA or Russia and they associate more with ukraine, and if it werent for the west engaging like the snakes they are in ukraine, i bet you a lot would have not only shown vocal support for ukraine but even more, but right now many people feel useless to engage themselves in that war because they know its just a proxy war the same that happened in syria for example, and we all know how that ended, in 10 year long civil war that isnt even really over yet. Thats of course aside from the fact that ultra nationalist sentiments of ukrainians which are the main driver of ant-russian hate is not very welcome here.The Ukrainians despising russians just because they think they are genetically pure whereas russians have intermingled with “barbarian orcs of the mongols” is not something recieved well among arabs despite us having the bloodiest history with mongols ourselves

Last edited by Morrigan on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go defend Putin and peddle that propaganda elsewhere

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm 

How do you apply all that to Syria and Russia turning it to dust? That's a genuine question, too. It's not rhetorical. I guess I could answer my own question and recognize that your hatred for the US is so strong that you can arrive at coddling remarks about Russia. I can feel the hate in your words for the US, but I'm not feeling that towards Russia. You border on making excuses for Russia. I could be wrong, or at least out of line, but it's difficult to recognize such an argument with any integrity when it's fueled with such an emotional and excusatory angle.

Why do I feel like I'm replying to a troll? I hope not.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:21 pm 

lord_kexasthur wrote:
ow, Ukrainian propaganda and brainwashing has reached a point where they are accusing “putin” of sending russian nazi black metal bands to ukraine to tarnish their image. Western totalitarian propaganda never fails to deliver........................The Ukrainians despising russians just because they think they are genetically pure whereas russians have intermingled with “barbarian orcs of the mongols” is not something recieved well among arabs despite us having the bloodiest history with mongols ourselves

So, about that new Metallica song...

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:04 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
How do you apply all that to Syria and Russia turning it to dust? That's a genuine question, too. It's not rhetorical. I guess I could answer my own question and recognize that your hatred for the US is so strong that you can arrive at coddling remarks about Russia. I can feel the hate in your words for the US, but I'm not feeling that towards Russia. You border on making excuses for Russia. I could be wrong, or at least out of line, but it's difficult to recognize such an argument with any integrity when it's fueled with such an emotional and excusatory angle.

Why do I feel like I'm replying to a troll? I hope not.

I'm actually hoping for the opposite - i.e. that this is just trolling, because if it is not, then it's very sad. :(
---

Syria was often mentioned during the war in Ukraine in the context that, after the bombing of the city of Mariupol by Russian military, there are so many deaths of civilian people and destructions of numerous civilian objects (including hospitals) in the city that it's comparable to Aleppo.

There was also an informative video (with information+instructions about survival tactics) for Ukrainian civilians made by the Syrian volunteer organization "The White Helmets".
I read about this organization that they saved and helped many civilians during the war in Syria, but there were also notes that Russian propaganda waged their information warfare campaign against the White Helmets:
Information warfare campaign

According to investigative journalists and analysts, SCD became a target of a systematic information warfare campaign by the Russian government, the Syrian government, alt-right personalities, and their supporters, who have accused the organisation of taking sides in the Syrian Civil War, carrying arms, and supporting terrorist groups. The Russian-funded RT television network and Sputnik news agency have made controversial claims about SCD, and multiple sources have found issues with the veracity and credibility of the claims. In an interview with Reuters, Facebook claimed that a hacking group based out of Syria targeted the White Helmets.

Olivia Solon from The Guardian speculated that SCD was targeted because they document their activities with handheld and helmet cameras. This footage often shows the aftermath of airstrikes, and has been used by human rights groups such as Amnesty International and the Syria Justice and Accountability Centre.

According to The New York Times, Assad's claim that the White Helmets are "Al-Qaeda members" was "without evidence". Assertions made by RT contributor Eva Bartlett that the White Helmets stage rescues and "recycle" children in its videos were reported by Snopes and Channel 4 News as being false "beyond a reasonable doubt". In December 2017, The Guardian newspaper commented that it had "uncovered how this counter-narrative is propagated online by a network of anti-imperialist activists, conspiracy theorists and trolls with the support of the Russian government ... [which] ... attract an enormous online audience, amplified by high-profile alt-right personalities, appearances on Russian state TV and an army of Twitter bots." A study by Tom Wilson and Kate Starbird, published in The Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review in January 2020, found that anti–White Helmet discourse dominated postings on Twitter.

(On a side note, I also read that the White Helmets received charitable funding from the United States, the United Kingdom, and other western governments)

lord_kexasthur, based only on this information/or in case you know more details about the White Helmets, is this organization (or at least some of its members) trustworthy, or are their activities rather questionable for you, or they are not worth trusting at all and all the help that they did for the civilians in Syria is not considered/is not taken into account?

Now, I apologize in advance if it seems totally inappropriate to mention/compare the White Helmets' case with the Azov Regiment case in this context, I just want to explain how I personally perceive it/what I feel about it as a resident of Ukraine, and how Russian propaganda might work (and, from what I have been read/heard/seen during the war, is actually works):
I fully agree that the story of the Azov Regiment itself is very questionable/disturbing, and I am one of those people who find it necessary for Ukraine to make changes/amendments/additions to national legislation in a way that there would be much stricter responsibility/liability (and in certain cases - up to imprisonment / deprivation of citizenship of Ukraine / deportation) for the offense when it comes to cases of making racist statements / manifestations of racism in any form by a citizen of Ukraine or by a citizen of other country who lives on the territory of Ukraine (And given that now Ukraine is led by persident Volodymyr Zelenskyy (+who is supreme commander-in-chief during wartime) who is a Jewish person, the Security Service of Ukraine also should take care of this / or it can be Ukrainian military prosecutor's office if such racist statements were made by a military person), but at the same time for me this does not negate a quite high probability that Russian propaganda might add many extra "pseudo-facts"/"fake news" and their own narratives to it in order to exaggerate it to such an extent to use it in their information warfare/campaign (and not only abroad; from what I have read/seen, those narratives about "the need to fight with the Ukrainian Nazis/making 'special military operation' on denazification of Ukraine in general" have also been actively used for internal propaganda in Russia - as their explanation to people in Russia of the main reasons for the war in Ukraine and as military propaganda in order to force people in Russia to go to the war here).

And, last but not least, this whole story does not negate the fact that the Azov regiment actually tried to save/to protect and to help civilians in Mariupol.
---

lord_kexasthur wrote:
... as arabs we had to shut up and suck it, but in ukraine after one hour of war, headlines of genocide and mass murder and whatever you can imagine were spread everywhere..

Yes, it is a fact that the war in Ukraine is the most "loud" and well-covered war in the media space, and I still hope and want to believe that this will have an effect on international journalism in general and that people in the world and international organizations will pay more attention to such tragic events as wars, war crimes, deaths/injuries of civilians and humanitarian crises during wars + the importance of supporting and protecting civilians (including refugees from those countries) of any nationality and protecting their rights, wherever a war takes place (and not only in words but also in actions).

Unfortunately, in the realities of the world, such an active presence of information about the war in foreign/international media does not always guarantee that all civilians during a war will be protected and that all war criminals will be judged for their crimes.
Yes, people in Ukraine have been said a lot about that this war has signs of genocide, and also many people abroad said this (and several individual countries have officially documented this), but to prove "Genocide" as an officiall fact in general - for an international court to conclude it - it is very difficult/seems impossible, and many people in Ukraine are still being very skeptical that this will ever happen;
a similar situation with "Russia is a state sponsor of terrorism" - there is a huge amount of documented evidences (including a use of modern technologies (such photos of certain places in Ukraine that were made by space satellites) by other countries, as well as work and conclusions of foreign experts - directly from some of those places in Ukraine) that the Russian military have been attacking civilian targets in Ukraine, often using weapons that are not available in Ukraine at all (such as ballistic missiles (such as Kh-22) and the Ukrainian military still does not have the systems to shoot down those missiles, and there is also evidence (internationally found out) that Russia was buying Shahed drones from the Iranian government to use them to attack civilian targets in Ukraine, and both the Ukrainian leadership and ordinary people (as well as many people from other countries who support Ukraine) made active and large spreading of information about all of this during the war - with many photos and descriptions, actively using social media and "tagging" foreign politicians / international organizations, but, despite all of this, the United States has not recognized Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism - they say that this will not change anything and will not help, and that this can only harm Ukraine because there is a risk that it can push certain countries (such as China) to provide more active and direct (military) support for Russia.
In fact, officially recognizing Russia as a "State Sponsor of Terrorism" would mean that, according to their official laws, the USA would have to impose "secondary" sanctions on those countries that would then continue to conduct economic relations with Russia, and it seems that the USA leadership is trying to avoid this - due to some US own reasons or there is some informal agreement between USA and some other countries, - so yes, in this regard, I agree with you that it seems the US leadership has the ability to behave whatever they want when it comes to things like these (whether it is dictated only by precaution and "good intentions" or also by their own possible benefit).
And all of it in general looks like one of the most disgusting aspects of trade/capitalistic-oriented international relations where doing "business as usual" often can be more important than human lives, human rights, and actual law and justice.

(I've posted about it before, just will re-post it in this context, - at least, European Parliament had declared it, so in general it was worth "the informative fighting", even if it's rather "formal" when it comes to European legislation. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/ ... -terrorism)

One more fact: as this war proved, the imposition of certain sanctions/a ban on export of certain equipment/machine parts/electronics - especially microchips from other countries to Russia - of what its military can use directly as a weapon / or for manufacture of weapons - does not guarantee that this will stop / significantly slow down the Russian war machine - because there have been evidences that many different foreign equipment/details/electronics that were made in other countries (including the USA and Europe) were used by Russia to make weapons, and this stil happens even these days - because it seems some of those people / companies simply do not care to whom they sell all that stuff, and that Russia will be able to continue the genocidal war in Ukraine and that people will die.

I understand things like these very well because I and a lot of other ordinary Ukrainians also face these kinds of injustices, as well as we also have these feelings of helplessness, giving up and despair in situations like these - where it seems that there is nothing anymore you can do and there is no way to change anything. :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next