Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:12 am 

hakarl wrote:
What right does Putin have to consider democratic nation states that have elected to become NATO members as "puppet regimes"? This goes directly into Putin's delusion and paranoia. Your metaphor doesn't resolve the underlying question.

1. NATO was designed to prevent Soviet expansion. When the USSR collapsed, NATO strengthened and even expanded. Therefore, Russia sees NATO as an expansionist, anti-Russian force. Why do you think Georgia got invaded?
2. The Orange Revolution and the Euromaidan coup didn't exactly put the best face forward for "western democracy." But while I'd just consider that growing pains, the fact is that Russia viewed the recent democratic choices of Ukraine similarly to the way the US saw the democratic choices in the Bolivian election (that resulted in a coup, using the U.S.'s conclusion as leverage).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:15 am 

darkeningday wrote:
hakarl wrote:
What right does Putin have to consider democratic nation states that have elected to become NATO members as "puppet regimes"? This goes directly into Putin's delusion and paranoia. Your metaphor doesn't resolve the underlying question.

1. NATO was designed to prevent Soviet expansion. When the USSR collapsed, NATO strengthened and even expanded. Therefore, Russia sees NATO as an expansionist, anti-Russian force. Why do you think Georgia got invaded?
2. The Orange Revolution and the Euromaidan coup didn't exactly put the best face forward for "western democracy." But while I'd just consider that growing pains, the fact is that Russia viewed the recent democratic choices of Ukraine similarly to the way the US saw the democratic choices in the Bolivian election (that resulted in a coup, using the U.S.'s conclusion as leverage).

This still doesn't resolve the fact that Putin equates "preventing [Soviet/Russian] expansion" to "existential threat to Russia that warrants repeated military invasions of sovereign states". That's the major discrepancy with reality here.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:27 am 

darkeningday wrote:
How do you think California would react if Mike Pence, along with the Capitol rioters, prevented Biden and held "new and fraud-proofed" elections, which this time registered a Trump win, and Biden fled for his life? Probably not very well.

Edit: I did some reading on Euromaidan, and plan on doing more, but anyways: this isn't necessarily a brilliant comparison. Euromaidan didn't start as a challenge to election results, although it ultimately forced the administration to resign and even exile. It started as a response to policy. Maybe you can think of something in the US history that resembles the background of those protests more.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:41 am 

Because NATO does expand and does conduct military operations and its presence in Ukraine provides close access to critical military targets in Russia. Russia sees NATO on their front lawn the same way the U.S. saw the Soviet Union off-loading missles in Cuba: a serious security threat. NATO also doesn't have a great track record when it comes to military intervention, so it's hard to think Russia is being completely irrational about not liking NATO expansion.

It wasn't about the motivation for the protest movement, it was about how east Ukraine (and by extension and more importantly, Russia) viewed the riots and ensuing coup. East Ukraine overwhelmingly for the pro-Russia guy, who won by a small margin. So the breakaway republics emerged as a reaction.

It should be noted that east Ukraine, not counting the separatist regions, DID vote strongly for Zelensky, but he ran as a peace/neutral candidate, yet his policies did seem to favor western interests more.

Earlier I screwed up and wrote west when I meant east, sorry for that.

Needless to say, there is no justification for running a 40 mile military convoy into Kyiv and Putin deserves massive scorn and sanctions for that... although I wish it could be more targeted at him and his awful group of yes men and theocrats than the Russian people.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:20 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Do I have too much faith in humanity to believe that Russian soldiers will just drop arms and tell Putin to shove it?

Soldiers don't seem to want to be there, they're not winning easily, it must be hard for them and they know they will return to a country with an economy in the tank.

However, soldiers are drilled to obey orders. I imagine a non-negligible % of them is no different than Meal Team Six, in that they're eager to shoot people and play rambo.

So yeah, it's a definite possibility, but I'm not sure I'd hold my breath.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:26 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I wish it could be more targeted at him and his awful group of yes men and theocrats than the Russian people.

I'm already under the impression that public opinion and media at large make that distinction and target Russian leadership, not the Russian people. We know a dictatorship when we see one.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 am 

Speaking of which: https://www.jpost.com/international/article-699098

Quote:
$1 million bounty on Putin offered by Russian businessman
The Russian entrepreneur said the Russian president came to power by "blowing up apartment buildings in Russia".

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:43 am 

Well, talking about targeting rich Russian shitbags: https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-u ... tin-2022-3

Biden is working with European authorities to find and seize yachts, luxury apartments and private jets. This is very good, all of these assholes are gonna get agitated when they see how unfun it is to stand by Putin. Hopefully they'll put his head in a fucking pike.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:20 am 

Some of the sanctions (from companies as well) are going to really fuck over the regular Russian people:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... n-1313259/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-ru ... omy-ruble/

Not sure what else to say that hasn't been said. The people on the ground in Ukraine will face even more direct threats to their lives. Everyone at the mercy of petty tyrants - it's a shit model to live by.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:11 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
It should be noted that east Ukraine, not counting the separatist regions, DID vote strongly for Zelensky, but he ran as a peace/neutral candidate, yet his policies did seem to favor western interests more.
Not to oversimplify things, but isn't this ultimately what the Ukrainian people want? They want more westernization. So far, these explanations of Russia's perspective seem educated and reasonable until they run into terms like "puppet regimes" that don't apply in the least and arguments that inherently treat these countries like tacks on a map and not decisions and desires of nations of people and their dreams of how they want to live. These arguments only sound like smart talk.

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:12 pm 

Miikja wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
I wish it could be more targeted at him and his awful group of yes men and theocrats than the Russian people.

I'm already under the impression that public opinion and media at large make that distinction and target Russian leadership, not the Russian people. We know a dictatorship when we see one.

Of course public opinion is against Russian political leaders, and not the Russian people. They're perceived as being white and "civilized", after all. However:

darkeningday wrote:
Putin deserves massive scorn and sanctions for that... although I wish it could be more targeted at him and his awful group of yes men and theocrats than the Russian people.

...There's where we run into problems. The actual countermeasures being used can't exactly be specifically targeted at those in power. Sanctions will cripple the Russian economy, and it isn't even a question that people living there will be hit hard, and I mean hard, by them. The value of the ruble is already plummeting. I'm not gonna say for sure whether or not sanctions should be used, but they will definitely hurt the average person in Russia.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 pm 

You have shitloads of companies just not selling products there, lots of banks cut off, etc. I admit I thought sanctions were preferable to the U.S. or anyone else entering the war physically, but damn it's all a mess.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:13 pm 

LunarisIsDead wrote:
I'm not gonna say for sure whether or not sanctions should be used, but they will definitely hurt the average person in Russia.

I'm oversimplifying here, but the average person in Russia hasn't done enough to get rid of Putin's regime. The key goal of sanctions is exactly that - elevate the dissatisfaction among the people with their leadership in order to stimulate the overturn of the regime from within.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:21 pm 

yentass wrote:
InnesI wrote:
I think this ability to understand both sides is crucial. We don't have to agree with them both, obviously, but we really need to get away from the "he's crazy" or "he's mentally ill" type sentiments. It is really quite rare that people in high power positions do things only at the whim of their failing intellect.

Couldn't agree more. However, do you feel like you understand the other side better now? Because I still don't, and I don't like it at all.

I understand both sides, which I think is important. Doesn't mean I side with them both though.

Miikja wrote:
InnesI wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
we really need to get away from the "he's crazy" or "he's mentally ill" type sentiments.

But can we agree that he's paranoid and delusional? Both are psychological/mental disorders. Just a more civilised way of puttin' (see what I did there) things, I guess. In any case, it's important. As William Pitt the Elder stated: "unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it", aka "absolute power corrupts absolutely". It's unhealthy business to hold such a position for so long.

This should need no reminder, but this is how Putin got in power: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings. At the very least, he has zero empathy, and that's bad enough.

I do think people in power often corrupts the minds of those who have it. If Putin has any mental disorder I don't know. However, based on his action up until a few years ago he was very clinical and very precise in his aims. For most of his time in office he's given me the impression of being very much in control of himself and the political development of Russia. To me he gives the opposite impression of Trump as a person. Where Trump couldn't be trusted, could seemingly change on a dime and be unpredictable I feel Putin was always the opposite. I am re-reading the book The New Tsar and the impression is the same there. He's been involved in many things throughout his life but always seemed to be in control of himself.

darkeningday wrote:
But to assault Kyiv is shocking and unacceptable, and may go down as one of the dumbest geopolitical errors in modern history. Though I'd still argue that floating NATO membership for Ukraine ever, for any reason was even dumber.

Right now it sure look like it was a huge error. Had he been satisfied with the eastern part of Ukraine I think he's get away with it. Right now most are against him in the west (although we can't forget that he might or might not have China and India backing him). With that said it all depends on how things develop. If Putin is successful in the war we're in a whole different world and who knows how the power balance might be (for sure Russia would be viewed as stronger and more dangerous than before). If he doesn't win it sure doesn't look good for him and it might be the end of his reign.

Zelenskyj seems to have handled this very well so far though. To be a president that doesn't flee the country but stays and fights will go down in the history books (unless something else happens along the way).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:44 pm 

They haven't cut off his oil revenue. I heard about this the other day, but the piece didn't go into any detail. Doesn't that seem like filed down teeth to the sanctions? And this is where the cynics have footing in anti-American rhetoric. How much longer will this go on with hundreds of millions of dollars flowing into Russia for their oil? Back to oil. Unwilling to change how we live, and it costs other people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:30 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Like everyone here, I've been following this attentively all week. It's a horrible situation, but man has Ukraine become the biggest underdog of this century. Some badass stories coming out of Ukraine - those people are not giving up without a fight.

Russia went in thinking they'd have the country under control within a day. We're now three days in and while Russian forces have wreaked serious havoc and made progress on a number of fronts, they've been held back, repelled, and forced to retreat in major parts of Ukraine. Third-party estimates have something like three or four times as many Russian soldiers dead as Ukrainian at this point. The Ukrainians are holding their own in the face of overwhelming odds-- I don't know how long they can keep it up, and it's horrific that they've had to sacrifice so much to fight for their country, but it's incredible to see.

Look at "the Troubles" - far more British solders were killed than IRA people.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:41 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Not to oversimplify things, but isn't this ultimately what the Ukrainian people want? They want more westernization. So far, these explanations of Russia's perspective seem educated and reasonable until they run into terms like "puppet regimes" that don't apply in the least and arguments that inherently treat these countries like tacks on a map and not decisions and desires of nations of people and their dreams of how they want to live. These arguments only sound like smart talk.

The coup in 2014 didn't look great for the face of "western democracy," and I'm sure from Putin's perspective it looked like the CIA had a hand in it (I've seen no evidence that they did). The DPR and LPR were causes for concern for Russia's interests just as they were for Ukraine. Putin wanted a neutral country as a buffer state on his front lawn and Ukraine wouldn't play ball because a neutral country can't thrive. Unfortunately, "what the people want" can only go so far.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:08 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
They haven't cut off his oil revenue. I heard about this the other day, but the piece didn't go into any detail. Doesn't that seem like filed down teeth to the sanctions? And this is where the cynics have footing in anti-American rhetoric. How much longer will this go on with hundreds of millions of dollars flowing into Russia for their oil? Back to oil. Unwilling to change how we live, and it costs other people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

While water will be the resource future generations wage war over, oil remains the spectre of our times. It dictates everything.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:20 am 

I do wish people here could pull the log out of their eye and see Putin's invasion as more of a flagrant overreaction to defense rather than an unprovoked imperialist power grab. Please consider how the US NatSec blob would respond to Beijing dumping money and weapons into Mexico, persuading their leadership to adopt Chinese politics, going to war with separatists near the Texas border who wanted to stay a U.S. friendly democracy and floating the potential for Monroe Doctrine-violating ordinance on the U.S. border. Now imagine if Mexico was part of the U.S. just 30 years prior with deep familial and cultural ties, and a violent coup overthrew the U.S.-friendly leader and replaced him with an anti-American extremist. I can't imagine the Pentagon would be overjoyed. And even this doesn't take into account NATO expansion and their various military blunders.

Just like if the U.S. invaded Mexico to stop Chinese missles on the border, it doesn't excuse the assault. But all of this bluster about Putin being a deranged reincarnation of Catherine the Great seems a bit hyperbolic. Ukraine has no natural resources besides farmlands in the east and their economy is a disaster (though this is likely due to their neutrality).

It is important that the west remind Putin that this is not an easy path to victory, because if it was then THAT would be when you should start fearing for true imperialist expansion. But at the same time, starving half of Russia to death by cutting off all oil and gas (while also destabilizing the west through extreme energy shortage and making everyone reliant on the Saudis, as well as pushing Russia into China's arms) or trying to make the citizens of Russia coup their entire government (which would almost certainly be replaced with a WORSE government) isn't productive either. Right now I'm quite happy with the way Biden is handling it.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:55 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Ukraine has no natural resources besides farmlands in the east

while i agree with the general sentiment of your post, this bit just isn't true; they've got plenty of ore & minerals to mine, plus natural gas

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:35 am 

InnesI wrote:
I understand both sides, which I think is important. Doesn't mean I side with them both though.

That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is that even if, out of all of Putin's "throw shit at a wall" reasoning, fear of the west and NATO expansion is the one that stuck as the most pertinent one, and even if one is to entertain this reason as legitimate and valid - his actions still don't make any sense to me on any level.

Why? Because, on one hand, neither the west/NATO nor Ukraine's constitutionalized aspirations towards them are particularily recent, to say the least; and on the other hand, Ukraine is part of neither at this point in time, and unless there were some developments on that front (which I'm unaware of) that would make an abstract "threat" into a concrete one and thus justify the invasion, why attack now? Because of some bullshit "minority report" reasoning? Why wouldn't you guys bomb Finland then, just in the off chance they might team up with Russia at some point in the future and you don't want Russian weaponry close to your borders?

None of it makes sense to me.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:50 am 

Let's not forget about the 1994 Budapest Memorandum, which should have guaranteed the safety of Ukraine.

Quote:
1. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.

2. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.

3. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind.

4. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used.

5. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm, in the case of Ukraine, their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against any non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a State in association or alliance with a nuclear-weapon State.

6. Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America will consult in the event a situation arises that raises a question concerning these commitments

As it is, this treaty has been unilaterally broken by Russia. De facto already in 2014, and nuclear weapons have been placed in Crimea short after its occupation in 2014.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:10 am 

yentass wrote:
InnesI wrote:

That's not what I meant. What I'm saying is that even if, out of all of Putin's "throw shit at a wall" reasoning, fear of the west and NATO expansion is the one that stuck as the most pertinent one, and even if one is to entertain this reason as legitimate and valid - his actions still don't make any sense to me on any level.

Why? Because, on one hand, neither the west/NATO nor Ukraine's constitutionalized aspirations towards them are particularily recent, to say the least; and on the other hand, Ukraine is part of neither at this point in time, and unless there were some developments on that front (which I'm unaware of) that would make an abstract "threat" into a concrete one and thus justify the invasion, why attack now? Because of some bullshit "minority report" reasoning? Why wouldn't you guys bomb Finland then, just in the off chance they might team up with Russia at some point in the future and you don't want Russian weaponry close to your borders?

The NATO vs Russia feud has been ongoing for years and years. Its been a push/pull type situation. And remember that behind all this lies the Cold War and before that Word War II. I agree that the invasion right now, and to the extent it seems to be, seems like a misfire but it's not like there are no reasons for it. The article above (which I replied to) and the geopolitical video makes it easy to understand.

The likening with Finland isn't very good. Though Finland was a part of the Swedish empire the split between us happened some 200 years ago. In that time relations have been very good in general and neither of our countries have had opposing interests (compare to Ukraine where the east vs west divide has been a huge thing both in regards to general history but also of the ethnic composition of the country). "Finlands sak är vår" ("the Finish cause is ours") is very famous here as loads of Swedes were volunteers to fight for Finland in the Winter War. Traditionally, while violence has been shed between our nations, the big enemy in our part of the world was always Russia. The risk of Finland teaming up with Russia is not likely in any way shape or form. As for Swedish interests we usually see Finland as a great buffer so that we don't have Russia on the other side of the border. To invade and bring us closer to Russia would be nonsensical from a geopolitical view as well. Right now we have the Baltic Sea in between. If Sweden and Finland were one we'd be much more vulnerable for attacks (as we saw in the Winter War). Sweden is quite blessed with our geographical position. Noway was take by the national socialists and Denmark as well. Russia invaded Finland but Sweden went mostly unscaved. A lot probably due to our geographical location. To bring us closer to the interest spheres of huge nations would make no sense in the case of a conflict.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:35 am 

yentass wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Huh? NATO petitioning has been swinging back and forth since forever. It got all but dumped by the pro-Russia guy elected in 2010, who then got coup'd and replaced with an anti-Russia guy for a while. The constitution didn't get amended for seeking NATO membership until 2019. This likely precipitated the mess we're in now, delayed by COVID considerations.

I repeat: would it be acceptable to place Chinese missles on the U.S. border? You have to think about it from Russia's natsec perspective.

I can't tell if Putin actually was driven to fury by Zelensky's comment in Munich where he vaguely implied the possibility to seek WMD's, or if that was just Putin's post-facto rationalization to play to the Russian audience, but Zelensky's implication wasn't exactly fantastic and did not de-escalate tensions with the next door neighbor.

Belarus argued that the U.S. broke the Memorandum in 2013. The U.S. continued to maintain the Memorandum was not legally binding.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:11 am 

Here's an insightful article on the subject. It's a Politico interview with foreign affairs specialist and academic Fiona Hill. She has studied history and is an expert on Russia and European affairs. It's a long read so I've copied and pasted some quotes below.
Link: Yes, He Would

Quote:
Putin is usually more cynical and calculated than he came across in his most recent speeches. There's evident visceral emotion in things that he said in the past few weeks justifying the war in Ukraine.

It’s reestablishing Russian dominance of what [he] sees as the Russian "Imperium". I'm saying this very specifically because the lands of the Soviet Union didn't cover all of the territories that were once part of the Russian Empire. So that should give us pause.

Putin has articulated an idea of there being a "Russky Mir" or a "Russian World". The recent essay he published about Ukraine and Russia states the Ukrainian and Russian people are "one people", a "yedinyi narod". He's saying Ukrainians and Russians are one and the same. This
idea of a Russian World means re-gathering all the Russian-speakers in different places that belonged at some point to the Russian tsardom.

What Putin is saying now is that Ukraine doesn't belong to Ukrainians. It belongs to him and the past. He is going to wipe Ukraine off the map, literally, because it doesn't belong on his map of the "Russian world".

Vladimir Putin's own family suffered during the siege of Leningrad, and yet here is Vladimir Putin doing exactly the same thing. [...] And he's blaming others, for why this has happened, and getting us to blame ourselves.

If all was peaceful and quiet, why would you need Vladimir Putin? [About Putin as a "wartime president".]

Quote:
If people look back to the history of World War II, there were an awful lot of people around Europe who became Nazi German sympathizers before the invasion of Poland. In the United Kingdom, there was a whole host of British politicians who admired Hitler's strength and his power, for doing what Great Powers do, before the horrors of the Blitz and the Holocaust finally penetrated.

Reynolds: And you see this now.

Hill: You totally see it. Unfortunately, we have politicians and public figures in the United States and around Europe who have embraced the idea that Russia was wronged by NATO and that Putin is a strong, powerful man and has the right to do what he's doing: Because Ukraine is somehow not worthy of independence, because it's either Russia's historical lands or Ukrainians are Russians, or the Ukrainian leaders are — this is what Putin says — "drug addled, fascist Nazis" or whatever labels he wants to apply here.

So sadly, we are treading back through old historical patterns that we said that we would never permit to happen again.

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:54 pm 

As a Tatar originally from the Crimea , it's truly painful for me to see this type of shit show unfold all over again , which is why I'll try to keep this post short and simple ...

In short I can only type the following things :

1. My heart/thoughts/prayers unequivocally goes out to any and all people living in Ukraine regardless of their ethnicity , mother tongue , gender , sexual orientation , etc. who are dealing with this shit show right now .

2. I really do hope this shit show ends ASAP .

3. I especially hope that scumbag sitting in the Kremlin playing Ivan the Terrible gets overthrown somehow .

I'd also like to mention that I really do hope this invasion doesn't strain relations between the various peoples of the FSU anymore than it ( unfortunately ) probably has , because only the warmongers have ever benefited from any of us little people hating each other .

I grew up surrounded by a plethora of people from the FSU who were all shades of color , religion , ethnicity , and so forth in a rundown project in Nyíregyháza during the 90s and early 2000s and everybody got along no matter if you were Russian or Ukrainian , Orthodox or Muslim , dark complected or light ...

Some of my closest childhood friends are Russian and Ukrainian respectively , which is part of the reason it's so painful for me to see such vile shit going on ...

Anyways I'm going to recuse myself on that note and apologies to anyone who didn't necessarily want to read this .

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:36 pm 

Dembo wrote:
In Athens there was a good big demonstration that started at the Russian embassy and ended at the American. This was to show that they take the side of the peoples, and do not take the side of any imperialists, neither Russian nor Western:

As a Greek it is nice to see my people voicing their being against the war. I completely despise how this party functions within Greece's politics but they are the only ones that actually do practical things when it comes to geopolitical matters in my homeland.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:35 pm 

Oohh, lots to unpack. Noice.

InnesI wrote:
The NATO vs Russia feud has been ongoing for years and years. Its been a push/pull type situation. And remember that behind all this lies the Cold War and before that Word War II. I agree that the invasion right now, and to the extent it seems to be, seems like a misfire but it's not like there are no reasons for it. The article above (which I replied to) and the geopolitical video makes it easy to understand.

The article and the video both clarify his reasoning - which I can understand - on a macro scale, and they do it well. What they don't provide, however, are actual reasons for his current actions and their timing. In other words - the beef with NATO and the aspirations towards restoring the Soviet Union are as relevant today as they were one year ago, or five, or eight, or ten years from now. What exactly pushed Putin to launch an invasion now, then, assuming he's not acting on a whim? That's the part that puzzles me the most.

InnesI wrote:
The likening with Finland isn't very good. Though Finland was a part of the Swedish empire the split between us happened some 200 years ago. In that time relations have been very good in general and neither of our countries have had opposing interests (compare to Ukraine where the east vs west divide has been a huge thing both in regards to general history but also of the ethnic composition of the country). "Finlands sak är vår" ("the Finish cause is ours") is very famous here as loads of Swedes were volunteers to fight for Finland in the Winter War. Traditionally, while violence has been shed between our nations, the big enemy in our part of the world was always Russia. The risk of Finland teaming up with Russia is not likely in any way shape or form.

First of all, I genuinely appreciate the historical context and the effort it took for you to write it. Like, for real, no sarcasm at all.
I wasn't likening the two, however - I was making an exaggeration. Basically, unless Ukraine were current in the process of joining NATO (which they weren't), Putin's unprovoked invasion of it to scare off NATO is only slightly less absurd than Sweden bombing a close ally out of the blue to scare off Russia. If anything, you've basically proven that an example I pulled out of my ass (you live in Sweden, Russia is Russia right now and Finland is a common neighbor, that's as deep as I was going for) is actually closer to reality than I initially thought, since there's actually some historical enmity between Sweden and Russia that I was totally ignorant about, so thanks!

InnesI wrote:
As for Swedish interests we usually see Finland as a great buffer so that we don't have Russia on the other side of the border. To invade and bring us closer to Russia would be nonsensical from a geopolitical view as well. Right now we have the Baltic Sea in between. If Sweden and Finland were one we'd be much more vulnerable for attacks (as we saw in the Winter War). Sweden is quite blessed with our geographical position. Noway was take by the national socialists and Denmark as well. Russia invaded Finland but Sweden went mostly unscaved. A lot probably due to our geographical location. To bring us closer to the interest spheres of huge nations would make no sense in the case of a conflict.

...And yet Putin is currently bombing one of his buffers against NATO to bits, and if he chooses to invade/reconquer it - he will literally be surrounded by NATO countries (and Belarus). Still makes sense?
Also, it's "unscathed", not "unscaved". Nothing to see here, moving right along

@darkeningday: I will look into some of the stuff you mentioned, maybe the missing piece of the puzzle I'm looking for can indeed be found there. Thanks.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:13 pm 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-fitch-downgrades-russias-074543182.html

The thought of a nuclear disaster that's worse than Chernobyl is downright horrifying.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:24 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-fitch-downgrades-russias-074543182.html

The thought of a nuclear disaster that's worse than Chernobyl is downright horrifying.

At this point, anyone who still defends Russia is beyond idiot. They're basically borderline subhuman at best.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:03 am 

Putin isn't trying to conquer Ukraine. That would be absurd and borderline impossible for a low GDP country like Russia. I also think a flat-out regime change in Kyiv would be unlikely, as that would require an occupation and the ensuing insurgency would basically create a Ukrainian ISIS whose #1 target would be Russia.

He's going to take the Donbas and hopefully not more and turn that area into a neutral territory with a leader he can control. The rest of Ukraine will technically be "free" but also extremely fucked up for a long time, and definitely not anything the EU or NATO will want in their coalition. He'll probably insert a lot of FSB operatives and they'll egg on the many different paramilitaries (possibly forming some of their own) to blame the west, Zelensky, other paramilitaries and the usual scapegoats for "letting" this happen. Russia would seem like the sole enemy everyone could unite to fight against, but it's never that simple in the micro, especially when you have a weakened government and a country armed to the teeth with U.S. and Russian weapons.

Blowback for all this fuckery will hit Russia (and sadly bordering countries), but the full effects will take years to come to light.

tl;dr he's trying to wreck Ukraine and build a buffer zone between Russia and the west.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Putin isn't trying to conquer Ukraine. That would be absurd and borderline impossible for a low GDP country like Russia. I also think a flat-out regime change in Kyiv would be unlikely, as that would require an occupation and the ensuing insurgency would basically create a Ukrainian ISIS whose #1 target would be Russia.

He's going to take the Donbas and hopefully not more and turn that area into a neutral territory with a leader he can control. The rest of Ukraine will technically be "free" but also extremely fucked up for a long time, and definitely not anything the EU or NATO will want in their coalition. He'll probably insert a lot of FSB operatives and they'll egg on the many different paramilitaries (possibly forming some of their own) to blame the west, Zelensky, other paramilitaries and the usual scapegoats for "letting" this happen. Russia would seem like the sole enemy everyone could unite to fight against, but it's never that simple in the micro, especially when you have a weakened government and a country armed to the teeth with U.S. and Russian weapons.

Blowback for all this fuckery will hit Russia (and sadly bordering countries), but the full effects will take years to come to light.

tl;dr he's trying to wreck Ukraine and build a buffer zone between Russia and the west.

That makes sense. Although it's hard not to see the unblinking destruction of civilian targets as something more malicious as well. Considering the constant threats from Lavrov and Putin himself, I think they're at least using the opportunity to make example of Ukraine, to intimidate countries like Finland.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:22 am 

yentass wrote:
The article and the video both clarify his reasoning - which I can understand - on a macro scale, and they do it well. What they don't provide, however, are actual reasons for his current actions and their timing. In other words - the beef with NATO and the aspirations towards restoring the Soviet Union are as relevant today as they were one year ago, or five, or eight, or ten years from now. What exactly pushed Putin to launch an invasion now, then, assuming he's not acting on a whim? That's the part that puzzles me the most.

Yes, the timing seems off. I don't really know what made him decide. Perhaps we will know in time.

Quote:

I wasn't likening the two, however - I was making an exaggeration. Basically, unless Ukraine were current in the process of joining NATO (which they weren't), Putin's unprovoked invasion of it to scare off NATO is only slightly less absurd than Sweden bombing a close ally out of the blue to scare off Russia. If anything, you've basically proven that an example I pulled out of my ass (you live in Sweden, Russia is Russia right now and Finland is a common neighbor, that's as deep as I was going for) is actually closer to reality than I initially thought, since there's actually some historical enmity between Sweden and Russia that I was totally ignorant about, so thanks!

Well, I don't agree that it's just "slightly less absurd" when we take the whole historical context into consideration. The examples are so far from each other I see no point of comparing the two (unless perhaps to make a point that the situations are radically different). But we may have agree to disagree here.

Quote:
...And yet Putin is currently bombing one of his buffers against NATO to bits, and if he chooses to invade/reconquer it - he will literally be surrounded by NATO countries (and Belarus). Still makes sense?

Yes, but this is where geopolitics come in (the Russian border of today being hard to defend to the west while the Ukrainian border is easier to defend). However it seems to not only be about that but also about an idea to restore a greater Russia. Putin doesn't seem to regard Ukrainians as a different people and he want to unite all Russian people under one nation state. So there isn't just one idea shaping the actions of Putin.

Quote:
Also, it's "unscathed", not "unscaved". Nothing to see here, moving right along

Thanks! I appreciate when people tell me when I'm wrong, but in a nice way, so I can learn from it.
Ad hominem

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:23 am 

hakarl wrote:
That makes sense. Although it's hard not to see the unblinking destruction of civilian targets as something more malicious as well. Considering the constant threats from Lavrov and Putin himself, I think they're at least using the opportunity to make example of Ukraine, to intimidate countries like Finland.

It's going to destabilize eastern Europe and it's hard to imagine Finland won't feel some of the effects, but Russia knows better than to fuck directly with Finland. Finland wiped the damn floor with the Russians twice before and they'd do it again.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:28 am 

darkeningday wrote:
hakarl wrote:

It's going to destabilize eastern Europe and it's hard to imagine Finland won't feel some of the effects, but Russia knows better than to fuck directly with Finland. Finland wiped the damn floor with the Russians twice before and they'd do it again.

Even if they entertained the idea of being able to take Finland by military before, I think the resistance that Ukraine put up with much less than what Finland has should have disillusioned them.

And that's why I think delivering a message is even more important. Demoralise any country that's liable to make strategic decisions towards the West at the expense of the Russian sphere of influence. Russia may not look great in kinetic warfare, but they've certainly done their homework when it comes to hybrid warfare.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
The day after this started, on a PBS panel, one of the retired military analysts threw in the idea that Putin was going to turn Ukraine into a wasteland, walk back, and basically say, "You wanted it? Here you go. Have it." It was one of many possibilities thrown out there, because nobody understand this. I guess it isn't as crazy as it sounded then.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:36 pm 

Biggest fear now is, Russia is humiliated.

Russia haven't waltzed in and taken control, civilians have stood up, the President has stood his ground and they've lost the media war.

Russia is turning on Putin...is ego will be brused.

Sadly, i can't see him pulling back without "throwing the toys out the cot"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:27 pm 

There's exactly a zero percent chance Putin thought he'd waltz in and control the capital of a 44 million person country in a week. It's hilarious people think that the GRU and FSB are crack team masters of international sabotage but wouldn't know how to invade a neighboring country they used to control and have had considerable presence in half of since then.

Ukraine has a vested interest in portraying that they're holding back the assault and giving 110% until other countries join in and media has a vested interest in making the underdogs and heroes to the west look great and that the superpower "got more than they're bargaining for." I also wouldn't take anything Ukraine says at face value until the fog of war lifts, just as I wouldn't for anything Russia says... uh, ever.

But yes, as long as WWIII doesn't happen, Putin won't pull back.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:27 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's hilarious people think that the GRU and FSB are crack team masters of international sabotage but wouldn't know how to invade a neighboring country they used to control and have had considerable presence in half of since then.

Actually, that's essentially the consensus among most intelligence and defense experts: Russia has a highly sophisticated capacity for cyberwarfare and asymmetric warfare, but the war in Ukraine has exposed profound flaws in its ability to muster a conventional military response against an adversary that is even somewhat close to evenly matched. The VKS hasn't even had the basic institutional capacity to coordinate and execute the kinds of complex air operations that NATO and the US take for granted are a fundamental component in any military action; entire units' worth of military equipment-- anti-air platforms, tanks, armored vehicles-- routinely get abandoned or stolen because they lack the ability to keep them supplied or at the very least out of enemy hands. What do you attribute this to other than clear and gross incompetence?

Quote:
Ukraine has a vested interest in portraying that they're holding back the assault and giving 110% until other countries join in and media has a vested interest in making the underdogs and heroes to the west look great and that the superpower "got more than they're bargaining for."

In a week, Russia-- even by conservative estimates-- has lost more soldiers in Ukraine than the US lost in twenty years in Afghanistan. Ukraine retains the ability to coordinate and launch large-scale counterattacks and deny the Russians the air superiority that should have been priority number one. The superpower absolutely got more than it bargained for.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:04 am 

I did also see that "elite" Spetznaz troops are wearing off-the-shelf gear from Amazon.com, infantry are robbing sporting goods stores for stuff they're missing (probably lost while drunk), every other vehicle seems like they forgot to fill up before they left and entire platoons are defecting ala the Irish in Braveheart. They're not sending their best... or they are and a Russian 10 is a Finnish 3.

But I just don't think conquering was ever the plan, just wrecking as much as possible and stealing the DPR/LPR and maybe some land on the Black Sea. Putin values the lives of his soldiers like ladybugs, and equipment being left out for scavengers is typical Russian Excellence and is always priced in.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next