Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:32 pm 

I really like Joyce Manor's album, Never Hungover Again.

I never really ventured outside of that album. I liked that album instantly and I guess I just didn't want that to be mucked up by further albums. Especially, since they looked like a bunch of 12 year olds.

That album is a perfect throwback to 90s indie/emo music I used to love, IMO.

I'll give this new album a chance.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:21 pm 

The Tangent – Songs from the Hard Shoulder

Another good one. Some Tangent albums are better than others, of course, but you can't go wrong with any one of them if you like retro-prog. This one is a bit more proggy than the previous two. And if you like retro-prog with a healthy dose of canterbury, jazz, krautrock, electronica, disco, motown – in short: 70s stew – The Tangent might be the most entertaining retro-prog band of them all – due to the satirical, self-referential, self-ironic, keyboard-wielding, word-forging, socially-conscious, funny and likeable genius of Andy Tillison. If I ever get to Yorkshire again, I'll drag him to the next waterhole for a coupla stories and even more pints (of milk, of course!)

8.5/10

Spoiler: show

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:23 pm 

Joe Bouchard, former bassist and songwriter for Blue Oyster Cult, recently released his latest solo album, "American Rocker." This and his last album, "Strange Legends," are both must-haves if you're a fan of BOC's sound from when Joe was in the band. He's a gifted songwriter and it shows.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Chickin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:03 am 

Stoned Statues, a new project from Finland, released their selftitled debut this year. They got alot of media attention, and I really liked this album, fun blend of rock metal and pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QtWewnUY1M

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:36 am 

Dan Reed Network – Let's Hear it for the King

The brand new release from my favourite crossover band from the late 80s / early 90s (I can't put into words how much I love 1989's "Slam"…). In contrast to the comeback album "Fight Another Day" (2016) where half of the track list was more in line with Dan Reed's overly adult contemporary-styled solo work, the new one really rocks. Guitars!!

It sounds a bit like some imaginary follow-up to 1991's "The Heat", released in 1993 or '94 and reviewed by Harold Hack in MyMusicMag: "While all their trademarks are still there, the band seems to have decided to add a bit more grit and gloom and gravel to their core sound in order to survive in a landscape where grunge is king (no pun intended). Good but a mild disappointment after the first three superb records."

The official website quotes a (real) review from Fireworks Magazine: "Let's Hear It For The King is far and away the heaviest, most political, most angry, most outspoken, and most intense DRN album to date, and with that easily their best!"

Yes, it's their heaviest, no, it isn't their best. It's probably their fourth best (out of five and a half albums). What I miss is one or two beautiful acoustic songs and a few surprises. But it's good, no question. And it rocks.

The closer on the vinyl is called "Unfuck my World". This summer hit collection will unfuck yours.

7.5/10

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 am 

I expect the usual replies whenever this band/artist is mentioned, but Closure/Continuation by Porcupine Tree is excellent. It’s one of their weirder albums as most of the material were band collabs out of improv jams rather than Wilson solely steering the ship.

“Dignity” and the bonus track “Never Have” are particularly incredible, and “Harridan”, “Of The New Day”, “Walk The Plank” and “Chimera’s Wreck” are also all outstanding.
Obliteration

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:52 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
I expect the usual replies whenever this band/artist is mentioned, but Closure/Continuation by Porcupine Tree is excellent. It’s one of their weirder albums as most of the material were band collabs out of improv jams rather than Wilson solely steering the ship.

“Dignity” and the bonus track “Never Have” are particularly incredible, and “Harridan”, “Of The New Day”, “Walk The Plank” and “Chimera’s Wreck” are also all outstanding.

Listening to the album right now and I like what I'm hearing so far. A lot. Was not expecting much after the long hiatus, but I am pleasantly surprised.
Fire walk with me"

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:59 am 

The new Karl Sanders album, Saurian Apocalypse, is as expected, excellent.
Fire walk with me"

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:09 pm 

H.e.a.t's latest album, Force Majeure, is pretty damn good I've got to say. Haven't missed a step with Kenny coming back on vocals in place of Erik. Melodic and catchy 80s style hard rock / AOR, although I think Demon Eyes is pretty much a metal song. One of my favourite albums of the year so far (of any genre).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:27 am 

New Norma Jean is out and it's pretty cool. Best metalcore band around right now.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:44 am 

Grand fuckin hell, Cheat Codes by Danger Mouse and Black Thought is supremely sublime. Rich, rich soundscapes and masterful sampling with a great wordsmith on top - love, love, LOVE!!!!
Did you need a protection amulet?

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:23 pm 

Quality s/t debut album from the hard rock band Gunshine.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:39 pm 

The Chats, an Australian punk band, put out a new album a couple weeks ago called "Get Fucked". It's a lot of fun.

PinkSatan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:51 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Grand fuckin hell, Cheat Codes by Danger Mouse and Black Thought is supremely sublime. Rich, rich soundscapes and masterful sampling with a great wordsmith on top - love, love, LOVE!!!!

Such a great fucking album.
There's also Ghais Guevara's There Will Be No Super-Slave I liked a lot. Automatic - Excess, A Foul Form by The Osees and Stardust by Yung Lean are also stand-outs.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 pm 

OFF! went for a sludgier sound on their new album "Free LSD" and it's really good. Punk band featuring Keith Morris (of the Circle Jerks and that first Black Flag EP).

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:26 pm 

Just listened to King Gizzard's latest, and wow. They've gone jam band for this one. Reminded me of early King Crimson at times, meets some really funky, psychedelic stuff.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:57 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Just listened to King Gizzard's latest, and wow. They've gone jam band for this one. Reminded me of early King Crimson at times, meets some really funky, psychedelic stuff.

Which one? Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava?

It sounds like The Mars Volta meets Bardo Pond imho. The rest of the album is a bit more Canterbury-ish though.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:11 am 

Saw Bird in Row yesterday with Cult of Luna. They had the new album and after a few listens I can say it's incredible and probably their best. For those not familiar with the band, they are a post hardcore / screamo band. These two songs are mindblowing.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:32 am 

Orianthi's new album Rock Candy came out on Friday. It's a great little hard rock record with some poppy tendencies and some cool guitar work. It's a little over 30 minutes long, so it flies by.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:31 am 

bonnie raitt's new album came out in april, but i only just listened to it recently - very good blues/country leaning rock

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:56 pm 

Just heard two.

The new Brutus album, Unison Life is absolutely incredible. This is must hear, as I see it. Post hardcore with intense emotional gravitas.

https://wearebrutus.bandcamp.com/album/unison-life

The new Alvvays album Blue Rev is also outstanding. They’ve added a fair degree of shoegaze to their blend of indie pop/dream pop to excellent results.

https://alvvays.bandcamp.com/album/blue-rev

2022 is shaping up to be an excellent year. Lots of high quality releases thus far, putting together a top ten will be challenging for the first time in years.
Obliteration

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:31 pm 

the new Liraz album is one of my fave albums of the year so far. She already released a couple good albums but the new one seems to unleash all the potential. For fans of Altin Gün, Ouzo Bazooka and of course Googoosh.

https://lirazzan.bandcamp.com/album/roya

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:38 pm 

Some more hip hop albums that have come out recently and are worth checking out;

Ka - Languish Arts; atmospheric and cerebral wordy hip hop with lots of layers sonically and lyrically.

Rome Streetz - KISS THE RING; has such an old-school tinge but maintains that swirly grimy style Griselda Records is known for.

Sampa the Great - As Above, So Below; soulful and large-sounding modern hip hop with significant African influences and nicely placed features from Denzel Curry, Kojey Radical, W.I.T.C.H among others.

Freddie Gibbs - $oul $old $epatately; Freddie never misses. His versatility carries once again. The songs on here don't have Madlib's rich production but that just means there's more of Gibbs' hand in the proceedings - and that's exciting enough.

Coast Contra - Apt 505; Modern, chatty posse cuts over laid back production and bouncy beats. Love it!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:43 pm 

Is there an upcoming albums thread? There's a new Swans album.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:34 pm 

Just created it. That new Swans song is good!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3