Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:15 pm 

Hey everyone, if there's a thread for this already, please direct me there. Otherwise...

I want to know where your go-to site is for CDs/records.

And in your experience, is Discogs a sketchy or reasonable way to go about getting records that are
pretty much unfindable in local stores or on label sites?

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:26 pm 

My go-to site is definitely Discogs. While you can encounter a shitty seller once in a while, I had over 150 successful transactions on this site since 2021. So, my verdict would be yes, this is a reasonable way to get CDs you couldn’t find otherwise. It really depends what you are after but it can get quite pricey if what you’re looking for is even slightly rare.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:47 pm 

Thank you for your input!

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:41 pm 

Shipping is often the biggest factor, so I like to find regionally curated labels/distros that have the stuff I want. I'm lucky enough to live in close proximity to CDN Records and Profound Lore so anything I order from there is super reasonably priced and gets to my house in less than a week.

A lot of record labels will have a distro of a much wider selection because they often trade with one another. I would just find the best on that's in your region. If you're in the States, Hells Headbangers and Nuclear War Now have huge selections. CDUniverse has some good value grabs every now and then. Sometimes even good ol' fashioned Amazon has the best price for what you're looking for.

Discogs is your best bet for rare/OOP site, a lot of distros and retailers will put their stuff up for sale on there as well. Just make sure you know who you're going through and all that if you're cautious about getting scammed. I haven't had a bad experience, either buying or selling.

That's more than enough options off the top of my head. Are you looking for any specific bands or albums? I might have some different channels to go down if that's the case.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:52 pm 

You may like Sentinel Steel, he sells on both ebay and discogs. http://sentinelsteel.com/

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:35 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Shipping is often the biggest factor, so I like to find regionally curated labels/distros that have the stuff I want. I'm lucky enough to live in close proximity to CDN Records and Profound Lore so anything I order from there is super reasonably priced and gets to my house in less than a week.

A lot of record labels will have a distro of a much wider selection because they often trade with one another. I would just find the best on that's in your region. If you're in the States, Hells Headbangers and Nuclear War Now have huge selections. CDUniverse has some good value grabs every now and then. Sometimes even good ol' fashioned Amazon has the best price for what you're looking for.

Discogs is your best bet for rare/OOP site, a lot of distros and retailers will put their stuff up for sale on there as well. Just make sure you know who you're going through and all that if you're cautious about getting scammed. I haven't had a bad experience, either buying or selling.

That's more than enough options off the top of my head. Are you looking for any specific bands or albums? I might have some different channels to go down if that's the case.

Thanks so much for this response. I'm at the point in my record collecting journey where a lot of the stuff I'm in the market for are borderline impossible to find the remaining items on the wish-list. The stuff there is mainly obscure (often European) releases from bands like Putrid Pile, Fairyland, Eternal Champion. One item is damn near unfindable, even online - Axes of the Universe by Tiluland. There was supposedly a CD for that release, but I've never found one listed anywhere.

Bronze Age wrote:
You may like Sentinel Steel, he sells on both ebay and discogs. http://sentinelsteel.com/

I'll check out this dude's discogs. I really like finding one seller that carries a good selection of metal so I don't have to pay a ton of sellers in one sitting!

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:37 am 

I've never used DC's but have browsed there a few times to get an idea of what something might sell for.
I like going to the bands website for stuff or a few T shirt places I've noticed have records too.

Reply to topic