Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 pm 

This thread is really hot rockin'.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:34 pm 

Probably %80 of Judas Priest's material is skippable, unless that's your thing. But that other %20? Essential classics damnit.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm 

I'd understand it if Painkiller was the only Priest album one has heard (and it's nowhere near their best), or even fucking Turbo, but I can't figure out how of all the albums to have heard from them - and nothing else - it could be Nostradamus.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
This thread is really hot rockin'.

White Heat, Red Hot?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 pm 

Fun fact, my 2nd Priest song was Desert Plains from Point of Entry. I had first heard Breaking the Law and didn't like it. But then listened to Desert Plains and thought "hmm perhaps I shoudl give this band another try, after all".

Unusual first albums of a certain band/artist I've heard? Hmm... can't think of any.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm 

Hah, first Priest song I heard was "Breaking the Law"... but covered by Unleashed. That was awful in many ways. :D Thankfully later on I learned to appreciate both "Breaking the Law" and Unleashed, though separately, as those are two ingredients that need not be mixed.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:51 pm 

How "White Heat, Red Hot" has not yet been made the namesake of a sauce, is beyond me!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm 

Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are my two favorites, no way I could pick one or the other.

Festivus wrote:
Unusual first albums of a certain band/artist I've heard? Hmm... can't think of any.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but Shovel Headed Kill Machine was the first Exodus album I ever heard

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:54 pm 

Metantoine once randomly gave me Point of Entry on vinyl when I was staying in his basement. Still haven't got around to listening to it.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Metantoine once randomly gave me Point of Entry on vinyl when I was staying in his basement. Still haven't got around to listening to it.

I'm a bit guilty of taking a long time to make use of gifts as well. I've been gifted DVDs and books before I'm yet to watch/read.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 pm 

First Maiden album I heard was No Prayer for the Dying when it came out, followed by Fear of the Dark when it came out, which, thankfully, prompted my brother - my source for music back when I was a kid - to get their earlier records. Likewise around that time, the very first Black Sabbath album I heard was Týr, which in turn led to one of my dearest funny life memories that for years of my life I had no idea there was any connection between Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, they were two different groups for me. Getting into metal around the very end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s I guess it isn't that unusual that the black album was the first Metallica I heard.

Other than that? First Darkthrone I heard was Total Death, first Paradise Lost I heard was Host, first Amorphis I heard was Tuonela, first Samael I heard was Passage...

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:04 pm 

Considering my dad was a young man in the late 70s/early 80s, I'm always astonished that he hates Judas Priest, with one exception: Breaking the Law. He likes AC/DC, Boston, April Wine, Molly Hatchet, etc, but just can't stand Halford or Black Sabbath or Motörhead. I think it's due to the vocal approach of the heavier bands. Just weird to imagine such a legendary metal band being reduced down to one dumb song.

Weren't FFA titles supposed to be forum puns though? Locka Rolla, Sad Boards of Destiny, Sin After Login... Splained Class?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:05 pm 

The first Maiden song I've heard? I dunno, I already heard some Maiden songs when I was a kid but didn't realise until I got into metal at age 17-18 that they were Maiden songs. The Trooper and Invaders both gave me deja vu feelings. But I like to pretend 2 Minutes to Midnight was my first ever Maiden song. And my 2nd Maiden song... Stranger in a Strange Land. A bit random, but I've always had a soft spot for this song.

Btw just remembered, my first Annihilator song was Knight Jumps Queen or wtv it's called. And I think my first slayer song was Disciple when I was 9 -10 years old. That song kinda scared me when i was a kid because Araya sounded so angry in it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Just weird to imagine such a legendary metal band being reduced down to one dumb song.

Smoooooooke on the waaaaateeeer - eeeexiiiiit liiiiight.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm 

What do you guys think of the song Fear of the Dark? I don't hate it but it kinda saddens me that it's Maiden's most well known song. I wouldn't mind if The Number of the Beast, the Trooper or even Run t o the Hills were more well-known to non metal fans than FOTD.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:12 pm 

Love the song personally, it's in my personal Maiden top 2-10 with a lot of their other big hits.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

I give things to people all the time, I probably gave you this album because 1) it kinda sucks and 2) you like vinyl and I don't really do!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 pm 

I've seen some hate throughout the years for songs like Chains of Misery, Can I Play With madness and Bring Your Daughter.

bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter is a kickass song, imo. A shame I didn't get to hear that one live... or Hallowed Be Thy Name. You know which "obscure" song Maiden played live at the concert of theirs I went to in 2013? Afraid to Shoot Strangers... yeah. Should have played Hallowed or bring Your Daughter instead.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not a a big fan of Aces High. Come at me.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Hah, first Priest song I heard was "Breaking the Law"... but covered by Unleashed. That was awful in many ways. :D Thankfully later on I learned to appreciate both "Breaking the Law" and Unleashed, though separately, as those are two ingredients that need not be mixed.

same here, even though my appreciation for the original version only developed last year.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:20 pm 

Covers eh? Priest's Green Manalishi cover is better than the original, imo. Even though I do like Peter Green.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:27 pm 

Festivus wrote:
And I think my first slayer song was Disciple when I was 9 -10 years old. That song kinda scared me when i was a kid because Araya sounded so angry in it.

When I was getting into thrash when I was like 12, my friends would share albums burnt onto CDs, presumably downloaded from limewire. And the copy of South of Heaven I got randomly had Here Comes the Pain from GHUA tacked on the end. I remember liking it a little bit, but thinking "well, it doesn't really sound like the rest of the album...kinda sound alike wrestling intro music" :lol: I thought it was actually part of the album for a long time.

droneriot wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
Just weird to imagine such a legendary metal band being reduced down to one dumb song.

Smoooooooke on the waaaaateeeer - eeeexiiiiit liiiiight.

Ha, good point there. Though I would argue both those songs are better representations of those bands than Breaking the Law is to JP. It doesn't even have a twin harmony guitar solo dammit!!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm 

It's always fun going through old FFAs and seeing what dumb shit got them closed.

Also, that tour where Maiden replaced Hallowed Be Thy Name with Afraid to Shoot Strangers was the first tour they didn't play Hallowed on since Number of the Beast came out. Bad timing on your part, I guess.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's always fun going through old FFAs and seeing what dumb shit got them closed.

Also, that tour where Maiden replaced Hallowed Be Thy Name with Afraid to Shoot Strangers was the first tour they didn't play Hallowed on since Number of the Beast came out. Bad timing on your part, I guess.

Well i had never seen Maiden live before so I had to take that chance in 2013 in case it was too late. The last time they had come here before that was in 2008. I think they came here last year again, but didn't go that time.

I'd love to have heard Rime of the Ancient Mariner live but ti's not played often live and especially not anymore. I hate you if you ever heard that song live!

Btw, the song they started with was Moonchild. Usually they start with either Churchill's speech or Number of the Beast, am I correct?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
rexxz wrote:
The reason is puns. Judas Priest puns.

Better by you, better than me.

Surely you meant Better Ban You, Better Ban Me

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 pm 

Damn, the FFA always gets closed down when I'm on vacation. Fuck.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 pm 

You missed all the drama. Now you'll never know which MAer murdered my evil twin brother.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Love the song personally, it's in my personal Maiden top 2-10 with a lot of their other big hits.

Same, it's my second favorite, first is Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 pm 

Iron Maiden are one of those bands that I can't just pick a definitive "favourite song". Seriously, one of the toughest questions you can ask me is "so what's your all time favourite Iron maiden song?". Other two equally or almost equally tough questions I can think of are "Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3?" and "Mega Man 2 or Mega Man 3?".

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 pm 

They are one of the few bands which I actually can definitively state a favorite song.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 am 

Hallowed Be Thy Name reigns supreme for me too. Something about that song. #2 is probably 2 Minutes to Midnight, and behind those would be every song on the B-side of Powerslave. Moonchild is waaay up there too. :drool:

My introduction to Metallica was their cover of "Crash Course in Brain Surgery", if that counts as an odd band intro. I managed to hear that one first, funnily enough.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Weren't FFA titles supposed to be forum puns though? Locka Rolla, Sad Boards of Destiny, Sin After Login... Splained Class?

It's a forum pun - the dictionary attribute the modern, sarcastic use of 'splaining to forums and Usenet chat rooms. :lol: I take full credit for the bad pun.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 am 

Purgatory might be my favorite Iron Maiden song, though Children of the Damned comes pretty close. Killers is also their best album, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 am 

I couldn't name my favorite Maiden song, but I could easily mention my favorite riff: the second half of "Children of the Damned." The last minute also has my favorite Maiden vocal line. You know the one, don't lie.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 am 

Despite its simplicity, I think I'd have to lie to myself if I said that Children of the Damned was not my favorite Iron Maiden solo. It's either that, or Stranger in a Strange Land, The Clairvoyant, or Hallowed Be Thy Name, or maybe The Trooper, okay that was a stupid thing to pick favorites of.. I really love Children of the Damned though. I still consider Number of the Beast to be an easy 95% album, :/

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 am 

"The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" is my personal favorite. Total fucking banger and Bruce belting out that chorus still gives me goosebumps countless times later.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:52 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:

It's a forum pun - the dictionary attribute the modern, sarcastic use of 'splaining to forums and Usenet chat rooms. :lol: I take full credit for the bad pun.

Huh, I had no idea. Like the article mentions, I only thought of it as an old I Love Lucy reference. If it's a technicality then I'm fine with that ;)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:39 am 

Count me into the Hallowed Be Thy Name camp as favourite Maiden song. Every thing about this track is perfect.

First Priest album I heard was Screaming For Vengeance. Still my firm pick of theirs, but hell, I still dig the shit out of Ram it Down, because Blood Red Skies is fucking killer dammit!

My collection

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:57 am 

theposega wrote:
"The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" is my personal favorite. Total fucking banger and Bruce belting out that chorus still gives me goosebumps countless times later.

Fuck yeah.

Also Dance of Death is fucking underrated, one of my favorite albums since it was the first one I heard from them. Somewhere In Time wins though. Maybe.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 am 

THE FFA IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE FFA!

I'd prefer "Stained Chats" myself.

Obey the dolphin!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:57 am 

I think my introduction to Judas Priest might've been through hearing Turbo Lover in Gran Turismo 3. Favorite Maiden song, I think I'd have to go with Hallowed Be Thy Name, honorable mention to Transylvania.

Related, I've gone back to this band a few times, recently. It's sorta like Y2K Maiden with vocals kinda like Grim Reaper.
https://dailyfight.bandcamp.com/album/i ... fight-demo

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 332  Next