Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 pm 

I'm just curious how many early Deicide fans follow this band still nowdays.

I'm not.

"You make it easy."

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm 

I actually like the cover art. It's kinda unique, especially in the annals of Deicide's typical cover art.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm 

I thought Iron Man when I first saw it then that thing from Hellboy [the fish guy?] also The Crucified - The Pillars Of Humanity [original] ha ha
My favourite deicide album cover [by a MILE] is To Hell With God, it's just wicked.
I always thought Serpents Of The Light was similar-ish to Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, weird Dali-esque abstract stuff going on and they are both terrible :lol:
They came out at roughly the same time too...

Spoiler: show

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 am 

FFttF is way more Dali-esque and abstract than SotL.

That said, the new album cover reminds me of Death Note, for some reason...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:10 am 

p0wnn00b wrote:
FFttF is way more Dali-esque and abstract than SotL.

That said, the new album cover reminds me of Death Note, for some reason...
Oh for sure, but they remind me of each other and Dali

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 am 

Haven't yet listened to anything past SotL, but mean to at some point. I think the new art is pretty sweet. Perhaps I'll start with this one.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 am 

that interviewer is an idiot. what is that shit about his voice when he is 80? are you kidding me? boring.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:19 am 

controlledbleeding wrote:
that interviewer is an idiot. what is that shit about his voice when he is 80? are you kidding me? boring.

He's joking around?

The interview when To Hell With God came out, with the french guy. Now he was an idiot.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Glen comes across like he doesn't even really want to play in the band much anymore and couldn't give less of a shit than he currently does...

If you think he's bad, you should read Eric Hoffman's interview from late last year.
http://www.masterful-magazine.com/wywiad.php?wyw=717

I remember Glen saying that the first Earache contract was based on who writes what. He got half since he wrote the lyrics.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:47 pm 

The band just released the title track and it kicks fucking ass! Holy shit I was not prepared for this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSkc-ZISYQM#t=163

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:30 pm 

Meh. It sounded pretty mediocre to me. The chorus riff in particular transcended mediocrity and strayed into just shitty. Didn't they say this album was gonna hearken back to the days of Legion and the self-titled album? I mean, plenty of bands claim their new albums will evoke the 'good old days', but if this is representative of the album, I'm not optimistic.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:31 pm 

Sounds great. It might not be any Stench Of Redemption, but it's pretty awesome either way.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Octodecillion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 pm 

I really didn't expect much, but that was pretty badass.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm 

Y'all must be hearin' something I'm just not getting. I just listened to it another three times and it still just sounds mediocre to me. What are you guys liking about it?

mastamonkeynutz wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:13 pm 

This is marginally better than the other modern Deicide I've heard but I still feel like it's really unremarkable. The riffs used are pretty uninspired (and that one riff that sounds like a really stop-starty "Raining Blood" is fucking annoying), the drums don't feel very momentous, and the vocals are more like big roars than growls which is kind of irritating. I don't think sitting on the threshold between decent and mediocre is anything to splooge one's slacks about, but maybe you guys know better than me.

Also, this is the first I've seen of the cover art and that demon-thing's face is goofy as fuck. What the hell?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm 

Listened to it and it's better than most of the newer crap they put out but like Mutant said, the intro riff sounds like a stop start Raining Blood. Not bad though but I won't be buying it anytime soon.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm 

Been a while since I listened to some Deicide. That was pretty smoking.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:08 pm 

That was a cool song, I'm glad Benton sticks to the more articulate style of growling he did on To Hell With God and that riff at 0:26 is a total killer! As for the solos, LOL FUCK RALPH SANTOLLA Kevin Quirion gets the job done just fine.
Sure this is only one song from the upcoming album but as of now I think it's safe to say that Deicide are back on track.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 pm 

I just love how fucking heavy it sounds, the production is awesome. And unlike some of you I really dig the "Raining Blood-riff" hehe.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:08 pm 

Oh and the reference to The Dark Knight in the beginning is just great, haha.

Octodecillion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm 

Rykov wrote:
Y'all must be hearin' something I'm just not getting. I just listened to it another three times and it still just sounds mediocre to me. What are you guys liking about it?

The production is pretty decent, the song flows well, riffs are decent (not amazing), Glen's voice is better than it has been on the past few albums, and the solo was pretty solid. I mean it's not amazing or anything, but it's pretty damn solid. This sounds like it is easily going to be be their best album since Stench of Redemption, which isn't saying much, but still.

As for the bands comparison to Legion, I don't really see it. There is no way they are ever going to make anything that sounds close to Legion, especially because of the production.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:39 pm 

Hmm that was ok, that second [?] meandering lost sounding out of place riff was annoying, it wasn't the whole song though
The 'main bit' was quite catchy and Glen's voice sounded like Glen's voice, so yeah I'll be buying it

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm 

This song is vastly different from what Deicide was doing lately and totally more like the Ol' style. The drum patterns reminded me a bit to Repent to Die. The song is quite catchy and less blasty which sounds great. The production is superb and Glen's vocals are nice too, more throaty and dynamic than the uber guttural yet plain growl he did with Vital Remains and some of the latest stuff.

Asheim's drumming was really good! One of the things I didn't like that much from THWG was the monotonous drumming, which was quite brutal but the fills were very samey. This time around he's drumming like the first albums. Quirion's leads were great, nothing too flashy but precise and fitting with the track. If the rest of the album is like this, I'll get it.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm 

Good song - not amazing -

want to hear the whole album before i deicde if its good Deicide or not

eitherway - why everyone thinks legion is some amazing album -

Stench is Their best record - better than legion , better than self titled

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 pm 

I really like this song. It's more old school compared to the style they've been playing for the last few albums, and Glen kept the vocal style he used on To Hell with God. I'm definitely looking forward to this album now.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 pm 

Who knows, maybe they released the worst song first. Only thing I didnt like at first was some of the generic riffs. I think the next song is either Thou Begone or End of the Wrath of God as a lyric track.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 am 

I liked it quite a bit.
But if this track is any indication as to what the rest of the album will sound like, then it's just gonna be nothing special, another Deicide record, same ol' stuff.
But that isn't really a problem for me, being that they've been one of my favorite bands for a while now.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 am 

Well, I didn't hear any Legion influence at all, contrary to the band's claims. I didn't hate it, but neither did it do anything at all for me, really. I miss the fury of albums like the debut and Legion. As some have already said, looks like yet another Deicide album. No more, no less.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:21 am 

Reminds me a little of swedish aeon. If the total album is like this. They made a nice comeback to their roots..finally

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 am 

I think Aeon is a bit more brutal and less monotonous than contemporary Deicide (the exception being The Stench of Redemption) for the most part, and that's coming from someone who is a huge Deicide and VR fan

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am 

I was expecting Stench of Redemption 2, but it is only one song so far.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
This is marginally better than the other modern Deicide I've heard but I still feel like it's really unremarkable. The riffs used are pretty uninspired (and that one riff that sounds like a really stop-starty "Raining Blood" is fucking annoying)... Also, this is the first I've seen of the cover art and that demon-thing's face is goofy as fuck. What the hell?

I have to go with all of this. My first reaction was "Wow, they're back!" but then I listened again and the annoying chorus and that stop-start riff grated on my nerves. The rest of it, including the production, is good. I'll listen to some more before buying it.
And yeah, I can't stand that cover either...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 am 

Octodecillion wrote:
The production is pretty decent, the song flows well, riffs are decent (not amazing), Glen's voice is better than it has been on the past few albums, and the solo was pretty solid. I mean it's not amazing or anything, but it's pretty damn solid. This sounds like it is easily going to be be their best album since Stench of Redemption, which isn't saying much, but still.

This is also true

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm 

The new title track sounds awesome, totally destroys the previous album which was boring and dull.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:52 pm 

That song sucks. Glen Benton needs to stop kidding himself and just make a full blown concept album about bigfoot already.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 am 

Better than almost every song of the rather dull To Hell With God, but if that's the best song of the new album i would be dissapointed. I somehow miss the fire.

Don't tell me why but Till Death do Us Part grows more and more to me. Play Severed Ties and Hate of All Hatreds live already >.<

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 am 

A Backwards 6 wrote:
Better than almost every song of the rather dull To Hell With God, but if that's the best song of the new album i would be dissapointed. I somehow miss the fire.

Don't tell me why but Till Death do Us Part grows more and more to me. Play Severed Ties and Hate of All Hatreds live already >.<

Theyre not playing anything from that album. The song is actually growing on me.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 am 

Not worth $28

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:16 am 

A Backwards 6 wrote:
Severed Ties is a mean tune :headbang:

aaronmb666 wrote:
Not worth $28
A CD, patch and t-shirt for $28 is pretty good isn't it?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next