Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:28 am 

I think it comes down to how much of a rec it is. If it's just "hey this was ok" and genre tag is fine, if it's something you're really excited about you should go full salesman I reckon.

Yes I know my last post was a no notes list, I'll do my detailed wrap up at the mid point of the year.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:09 am 

it works perfectly fine as is. some people wanna explain things a bit, some don’t. i’ve found things i liked in these threads from both types of posters. usually more from the former, but im not gonna get pressed about a forum thread i literally am not required to look at

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I think it comes down to how much of a rec it is. If it's just "hey this was ok" and genre tag is fine, if it's something you're really excited about you should go full salesman I reckon.

Yes I know my last post was a no notes list, I'll do my detailed wrap up at the mid point of the year.

I enjoy your monthly wrap-ups partially due to somewhat similar tastes but mostly because I tend to find your writing hilarious. Picked up gems from your posts.

I've also discovered bands here that became absolute staples in my diet with descriptions as elaborate as "disso black"...

Ultimately, I think the thread works just fine and there's no need to force people to communicate in a way that is not natural to them.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:20 am 

Even if folks can't be bothered to write more then three words about an album, there's no excuse for not even providing the genre or a link.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:24 pm 

Voidsel wrote:
There was a thread about it, but Aquilus released Bellum II earlier this month. Supposedly it was recorded at the same time as Bellum I. A beautiful blend of authentic classical orchestration and atmospheric black. Introspective with long instrumental passages, it requires attention to appreciate.

There is less black metal than Bellum I (may be a divergent opinion), which was in my 2021 top 10. Bellum II is still impressive and epic but I'll confess my collection doesn't need two.

Bandcamp

I have the opposite impression. It feels more black metal than the previous one, the first part was a bit more progressive. It reminded me of Opeth a lot. This one is a return to a more black-metalish sound. Both parts are excellent but I prefer this second one.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 pm 

Gatecreeper - Dark Superstition

Spoiler: show

New album of the death metal/metalcore band, this album delves more into melodic death metal territory, with the likes of the Swedish death metal school from both Gothenburg and Stockholm scenes, fans of early Entombed, In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Dismember will enjoy this. The hardcore breakdowns and shouty vocals are still here if you dig that part of the band, nice combination between Swedish DM and hardcore.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:14 am 

Spediji wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
Death metal from Chile in the vein of other bands that have been coming out of that country in recent years. Definitely a big Altars of Madness era MA vibe on this album IMO.

What was this? The videos privated now but from the description it sounds nice and i wanna check it out

i'm pretty sure it was Deconsekrated - Ascension in the Altar of Condemned

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:41 am 

joppek wrote:
Spediji wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
Death metal from Chile in the vein of other bands that have been coming out of that country in recent years. Definitely a big Altars of Madness era MA vibe on this album IMO.

What was this? The videos privated now but from the description it sounds nice and i wanna check it out

i'm pretty sure it was Deconsekrated - Ascension in the Altar of Condemned

Yeah, it was the new Deconsekrated. The album premiere was hosted on the Death Metal Promotion Youtube channel which temporarily privated all of its videos (they'll all be available again in June). If you want to listen to the album you can check it out here or on Bandcamp:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm 

Another great melodic black metal release by the über-prolific Belarus duo Downcross.
If you've heard any of their previous work you know what you're getting, although this one does sound more like the first couple of albums as opposed to the somewhat harsher style of more recent work:

https://downcross.bandcamp.com/album/white-tower

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:37 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Another great melodic black metal release by the über-prolific Belarus duo Downcross.
If you've heard any of their previous work you know what you're getting, although this one does sound more like the first couple of albums as opposed to the somewhat harsher style of more recent work:

https://downcross.bandcamp.com/album/white-tower

Cool stuff thanks for sharing.

Cutterred Flesh just dropped their new album Love at First Bite. It's way more technical than the last one and a bit progressive and deathcore-y at times but still some good brutal death.
https://cutterredfleshband.bandcamp.com ... first-bite

FrostOfTheBlack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 pm 

If anyone is interested, I have a Spotify playlist with most of the albums in this thread. It's not complete, but it's at 69 hours, 14 min currently so you have plenty of time for me to catch up.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6NYPl ... 5139bb4c18

I just use this as a starting point to make sure I listen to everything at least once this year, so I can have an informed opinion on what's the best. It's not in any particular order.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:39 am 

Saidan - Visual Kill: The Blossoming of Psychotic Depravity

Spoiler: show

Bandcamp link to the album.

New Saidan dropped today. "Onryô II" was one of my favourite albums of 2022 (and my favourite black metal album period), so I had high expectations for this one to say the least. So far, after a few spins, I am super fucking impressed.

Basically, it's vicious, fast, blast-heavy black metal, but with a ton of melodic edge and different subtle influences going on to it. Got a ton of great riffage, leads and ripping solos packed in here. Goes between your usual tremolo BM-trappings, some thrashier moments as well as some trad metal-esque leads and solos, among other things. There's also a ton of other influences at play here and there, but it melds great. Just super listenable, catchy, but also aggressive and intense.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:48 am 

Seconding Downcross and Saidan; top quality BM, both very melodic yet very different from each other, neither band is your typical cookie cutter black metal outfit.

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:50 am 

FrostOfTheBlack wrote:
If anyone is interested, I have a Spotify playlist with most of the albums in this thread.

Nice, thanks.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:39 am 

about "telling more than a link" there's borders because of language, I see how much difficult to speak clear of something without proper language! I can write stuff in english or almost english, but I can not find my accuracy in that language. For this reason I can not write review here. And this "me" means a lot of people!

this english site is active, french one are dead, same for social media such as Reddit, you have choice with limited interaction in your own language or being speechless in english. You can see this english dominant on Discogs with the problem of fonts and capitalization, all but english are shocked but we got no choice.

same as a reader, I'll keep Decibel mag because it's more metal than any other "metal" magazine in europe (except Metallian in France) but practically I can't use it because records are not out at the same moment or simply not available etc. SO conclusion is that it's a bit difficult to exprim something when you're not US/UK citizen, and that's a lot of people ^^

sorry for disgression

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 am 

therealvivs wrote:
The way I see it, it's enough to write Band X plays melodic black metal in the vein of Dissection and/or Necrophobic.
I like it mainly due to the inspired guitar playing with frequent, fiery leads and mostly uptempo songs on the shorter side. Here's a single.

This.

I'm not googling a bunch of random unknown names from a list without even knowing what genre the music is.

A short description of why you like it, like your example here, is more then enough.

alktrash wrote:
about "telling more than a link" there's borders because of language, I see how much difficult to speak clear of something without proper language! I can write stuff in english or almost english, but I can not find my accuracy in that language. For this reason I can not write review here. And this "me" means a lot of people!

this english site is active, french one are dead, same for social media such as Reddit, you have choice with limited interaction in your own language or being speechless in english. You can see this english dominant on Discogs with the problem of fonts and capitalization, all but english are shocked but we got no choice.

same as a reader, I'll keep Decibel mag because it's more metal than any other "metal" magazine in europe (except Metallian in France) but practically I can't use it because records are not out at the same moment or simply not available etc. SO conclusion is that it's a bit difficult to exprim something when you're not US/UK citizen, and that's a lot of people ^^

sorry for disgression

Even if your English isn't perfect, most regulars here are smart enough to respect the fact that you're doing an effort to speak in English, and it would still be nice to have people give a little bit of background as to why they like some album, especially in this thread.

Il y a beaucoup de francophones ici d'ailleurs. Très content de voir de plus en plus de Français et de Québécois ici :metal:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:16 am 

Yeah that Saidan is amazing, one of the best releases I've heard this year so far. So much to unpack with repeated listens.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:24 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
If you're looking for new progressive/technical death metal in the early 90s Floridian vein, check out the new Hemotoxin. They're combining some of the best parts of all of those great Floridian bands into one great, riff-driven, melodic package.

This is very rad, my goodness.

My biggest complaint is that it's only 28 minutes long, I wanted more dammit!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:06 pm 

I don't even know what this is, maybe just intense slightly blackened death, maybe war metal?

Regardless it rules:

Morgue - Close to Complete Darkness

between this and Antichrist Siege Machine might be the year I get into war metal, because that one rules too. Nice mix of war metal and deathgrind a la Insect Warfare:

the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:46 pm 

If you want wargrind the new Primitive Warfare is like war metal using the sonic range of Deathtoll 80k. Has some fantastically ignorant hardcore breaks.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:18 am 

New Bythos is incredible, can't stop listening to it. Definitely in my top 10 for this year already. Loved the first album but this is a vast improvement I believe.

Bythos - Cthonic Gates Unveiled

This new Kawir album is a bit of a surprise, know the name but never heard them before this album. Tons of interesting things going on here, despite it seeming like a non-stop blast fest.

Kawir - Κυδοιμός

Another great album of death/black metal. If you like Grave Miasma, you'll like this. I do. A lot.

Necroracle - Arcane Impious Sorceries

More solid, disgusting filth. Nothing ground breaking here, but damn it's good.

Purulency - Transcending Unveiling of Dimensions

More death metal goodness from Apparition. Previous album Feel was incredible DM, and so is this one. Has some... strange passages within, but awesomely done.

Apparition - Disgraced Emanations From a Tranquil State

Engulfed from Turkey are back with a new record and it's fire. Top tier death.

Engulfed - Unearthly Litanies of Despair

Some Australian death metal madness. These guys fucking crush live, and are damn brutal. Good shit.

Contaminated - Celebratory Beheading

A bunch of others that have made my list this year so far have been mentioned, and this is them;

Civerous - Maze Envy
Borknagar - Fall
Spectral Voice - Sparagmos
Antichrist Siege Machine - Vengeance of Eternal Fire
Exhumation - Master's Personae
Necrot - Lifeless Birth
Heresiarch - Edifice

My collection

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 11:11 am 

The new Daath is shockingly good and I never thought I'd be saying that. They historically sounded like Devildriver with synths and were passable at best and atrocious at worst, but this is an actual, proper tech album that ditches basically everything that I hated about them.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:58 am 

First full listen of the new Lucifuge, 'Hexensabbat', and I'm still picking up my jaw from the floor.
This is a band that, like Hellripper on last year's stellar album - albeit not to such a large extent - is refining their basic black/thrash template and introducing subtle alterations to the formula to keep it fresh and exciting.
There are no huge stylistic divergences on this one, but it manages to sound original and exciting within what could be seen as a very restrictive subgenre.
Fantastic stuff:

https://lucifuge666.bandcamp.com/album/hexensabbat

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:36 am 

Another vote for the new Saidan. Strong AOTY contender so far and a great follow up to the previous release.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:16 am 

I might be a bit crazy but that Saidan album reminds me of early Children of Bodom. It's so catchy, furious and unapologetically FUN while also taking itself just seriously enough. I love it! Highly recommended.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:40 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
I might be a bit crazy but that Saidan album reminds me of early Children of Bodom. It's so catchy, furious and unapologetically FUN while also taking itself just seriously enough. I love it! Highly recommended.

Totally; the music sounds very different, but the "spirit" is similar, because, like you said, it's catchy, fun, and highly energetic.

Also, can we just agree that, ironically enough, BM is the most malleable of sub-genres? I mean, the it's the most obsessed with being trve and cvlt, but IMO black metal really works great with other styles and benefits greatly from experimentation.

ceero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:55 am 

Very decent folky/pagan/viking black metal from Iceland, been spinning this all day long today.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:19 am 

ceero wrote:

Very decent folky/pagan/viking black metal from Iceland, been spinning this all day long today.

This is great. One of the best bands around.

Non Euclidean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 12:53 pm 

FrostOfTheBlack wrote:
If anyone is interested, I have a Spotify playlist with most of the albums in this thread. It's not complete, but it's at 69 hours, 14 min currently so you have plenty of time for me to catch up.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6NYPl ... 5139bb4c18

I just use this as a starting point to make sure I listen to everything at least once this year, so I can have an informed opinion on what's the best. It's not in any particular order.

Nice. That's what I've been doing for the last few years too, though this year I haven't been adding too much since I'm only now coming out of a mostly funeral doom phase and haven't been interested in much else (lasted about 5 months). My 2024 list is currently sitting at 41 hours, so I have some catching up to do.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:02 pm 

In Aevum Agere - Darkness, Then Light

Very energetic doom/epic/trad. Makes me think of Solitude Aeturnus, Manilla Road, Psychotic Waltz and even Death. When the drums are emphasized they are devastating.

https://metalonmetalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/in-aevum-agere-darkness-then-light

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:40 pm 

Will LilTito resurface for a mid year top 10 thread?

NachthymnenIV
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:54 am 

Drunemton - Tir nan Og. New release from very consistent pagan black metal band. Sounds like an amalgamation of the best Eastern European black metal bands. Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum, Темнозорь, etc, with very unique and clever synth melodies. My favorite black metal album of the year, so far.

ShadesOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:26 pm 

The past few years I've been making a playlist of all the metal releases from that year. This year's playlist is almost up to 3,000 songs! Check it out: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2MMCS ... 17f20249b9

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:06 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
ceero wrote:

Better not praise them too much or Disembodied will have a coronary.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:59 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
ceero wrote:

What?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:18 pm 

Well my listening for the day is done so I may as well get my summary posted rather than waiting til after the weekend for no reason other than to have the post take place in June. May was both a return to the year's trend of extremely high 7/10 ratios with quite a few things crossing that worth a mention threshold, while also offering a heavy hitter... at least by 2024 standards.

Tzompantli - Beating The Drums Of Ancestral Force: This is sick. We basically got two Coffins albums in two months with this slab of bulldozer death doom. I don't give the slightest fuck that it's quite light on the thematic tie ins outside of some more interludey parts. Big fat bastard of a record with a little atmospheric and melodic streak.

Diocletian - Inexorable Nexus: Some old fashioned and atypically musical war metal for the modern era. It's the least popular of the recent big 3 war metal records but it's my personal favoruite. This has a lot more of the black/thrash influence than a lot of the noisier, grindier and deathier takes on the style which have been popping off. This makes it actually really enjoyable on an actually listening to riffs level as opposed to a more tonal hate-vibes level like most new stuff. Demo quality production holds back a little punch though.

Antichrist Siege Machine - Vengeance of Eternal Fire: Speaking of the noiser and deathier takes on war metal, ASM go hard as always. I think Purifying Blade was a bit more interesting musically but it's still a fun violent trip.

Conifère - L'impôt du sang: Like a mix between french-style turbo meloblack ala Suhnopfer and pop-punkified BM ala Flaming Ouroboros with a little bit of Agalloch in the breathers. The combination is surprisingly effective, they're all sickly sweet but highly energized so bouncing back and forth between them keeps the momentum going while not causing diabetes from too much sugar of any one flavour. Could be a grower, very enjoyable and listenable.

Mütiilation - Black Metal Cult: Surprisingly violent for a Mutiilation return, bit of an odd choice, but the riffs are rock solid so it's all good.

Fluids - Reduced Capabilities: Damned if you do damned if you don't. This album eschews alll the traumatizing samples and goofball genre blending stuff and just hits us with a bunch of nasty goregrind, which despite being too muddy is probably their best musical effort, but ya know, something's missing without the goofball and nightmare shit.

Primitive Warfare - Extinction Protocol:And here's the grindy side of modern war metal. Someone on RYM says it's like if Deathtoll 80k was a war metal band, and while it's not as cool or as well riffed as that would imply the sound is there. The fast shit really runs together but it also does these pure hardcore pit fest breakdowns and they're stupidly fun. The title track is strongly recommended for one of the best mosh breaks you'll hear all year.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:39 pm 

Philadelphia black metal punks Spiter released a great EP last week, Enter the Gates of Fucking Hell:

https://spiter-us.bandcamp.com/album/en ... cking-hell

I thought their debut from 2022 was amazing and such a fun listen, and this new release maintains the same quality. FFO: Venom, Midnight, Sabbat (JPN)

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:44 am 

It’s a great year to be a war metal fan. Diocletian, Heresiarch, Antichrist Siege Machine, and Primitive Warfare have all released worthwhile albums recently.

In terms of other stuff from this year, I’m really digging this new Coffins album.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 am 

Quote:
From the depths of the black metal underground, comes one of its most elite figures with a new band and an even more evil attitude. As frontman of legendary Swedish maniacs Nifelheim, Hellbutcher upheld the bad name of real black metal with an iron fist. Now, with this eponymous new band, the frenzied mission continues: nothing less than total metal mania will do.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:57 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

What?

Last time I gave their EP prior to this praise he lost his shit because I enjoyed it more than he did and therefore in his eyes it was “not worthwhile” for everyone and fie upon me for misleading the world.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next