Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:31 pm 

Yeah, I was just playing it in the car, and it's a fine song... weird that I just always see it as the one example everyone dislikes. I just think the other songs are better overall, but I like the weird, haunting, meandering feel of that one too.

Overall the album's just their most confident with the best riffs. The one where they really grew into their idiosyncratic identity. I think I read Leif Edling doesn't like it - weird.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm 

Another thrash metal classic!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm 

Seasons of the Wolf - Supernatural

There's really some absolute world-class riffs on here. They know how to lay down a groove, how to just ramp it up and get super fucking heavy, and how to set a mood... what a work.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm 

Hath - Iosis

I've not revisited this one much since I ranked it 1st in my top 10 of the year 2022. I loved the album, and it's still an amazing listen. Maybe not something I would rank 1st of 2022 if asked about it again, but still most likely top 5 of the year. Solid solid solid death metal. I was also surprised to discover that people think of them as blacked death metal. Same as Sulphur Aeon. I guess I just don't really hear it much, especially since black and death have always shared elements.

Both bands are great, and actually share similarities. And since Sulphur Aeon is so popular, while Hath flies under the radars a lot, I recommend Hath's 2 LPs to people who enjoy Sulphur Aeon and proggier/avant-garde stuff like Ulcerate, maybe.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm 

Images of Eden - Angel Born

Killer melodic metal that is a little bit 90's-ish.

Guardian - First Watch

Killer melodic hard rock that is very 80's

Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace

I listen to this every once in a while, it's good but I like the debut way better. Looking forward to the new album.

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Pretty iconic and nasty.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm 

Judas Priest- Dreamer Deceiver

Fuck…

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Fuck…

I think these slower, more dramatic songs might be my favorite flavor of Judas Priest.

This, "Beyond the Realms of Death," and "Prisoner of Your Eyes" are 3 of my favorites from them.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 am 

Venom - Temples of Ice (Great! An under-rated one).
Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops (Great! OI!)
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (Very good, w/ some classic Beastie tracks).
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead (Good, and I think it's growing on me).

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 am 

Tarot – The Warrior's Spell (EP compilation)
Tarot – Reflections
Tarot – Glimpse of the Dawn

Folky early 70s psych heavy prog proto-metal (with cream) from Australia. Tarot are not part of the occult retro rock wave, which seems to arise from mostly American influences (and Black Sabbath, of course). Instead, they're British to the core. It's been a while since I took a deep dive into the early psych heavy prog scene and my memory is mush (in a cauldron in the woods). To cite an obvious point of reference: the first three Wishbone Ash albums with a lot of Tony Banks (Genesis) and Hugh Banton (Van der Graaf Generator) in the organ work. It's the kind of pastoral rock that conjures up images of buzzing early summer meadows, falling leaves and snowstorms – simultaneously. Peace – but peace of the endangered variety. Even fans of pastoral early Floyd ("A Pillow of Winds", "Grantchester Meadows" etc.) could get something out of "The Warrior's Spell" and "Reflections" while "Glimpse of the Dawn" has more of a late 70s proto-metal vibe to it. Needless to say, I think they're fantastic (and they even have an Archives page).

Last edited by Coastliner on Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 am 

Cccp Punk Islam

One of greatest bands of my country….

Protagora

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am 

Thantifaxath- Hive Mind Narcosis

This is definitely an album that is a little different.
Very weird and slightly disjointed Avant-Garde Black metal, certainly along the same vein as Deathspell, or even Blut. This one will require some more attention.

I received an order from Dark Descent yesterday, I'm running through some of those titles now.
First proper full day off from work in a couple of months, I'm a bit backed up, and will use it to catch up on organizing and filing into the collection the overwhelming stack off shit I've ordered this month. I hope everyone here has a great day.

On Deck:
The Nest- Her True Nature

As if there weren't already 7 members in Wolvennest ...Let's invite 8 more people into the fold and see what we get.
I'm intrigued.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 am 

Antichrist Siege Machine – Vengeance of Eternal Fire

Blackened death metal. I don't know what this thing sounds like but it burps MOABs and farts tanks.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:16 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Antichrist Siege Machine – Vengeance of Eternal Fire

Blackened death metal. I don't know what this thing sounds like but it burps MOABs and farts tanks.

I will definitely be from now on using the phrase "Farts Tanks" Thank you my friend! :lol:

Thy Worshiper- Czarna dzika czerwień

This album is awesome. Polish Blackened Gothic Folk I suppose.... It is very eclectic in sound this one, often very quiet and tame reminiscent of when Moonspell does it right at times, even equipped with some beautiful female vocals/chants throughout this album, reminding me somewhat similar to how Rotting Christ was using them on the Aealo and Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού records, but nowhere near as obnoxious. The male and female vocals are in Polish, which I feel gives me the sense of hearing something different, even though it is strikingly familiar sounding.
When this album fires up in between, its smoking. Very heavy with great riffs. Fans of the aforementioned certainly should hear this record, obvious notes of Negura Bunget influence here as well, but I feel it offers more. I will definitely be listening to more of their catalog.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:42 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Fuck…

I think these slower, more dramatic songs might be my favorite flavor of Judas Priest.

This, "Beyond the Realms of Death," and "Prisoner of Your Eyes" are 3 of my favorites from them.

That was when they were at their most interesting, back when they did the more free-form, bluesy, experimental stuff in between the harder rockers. It's a testament to their quality that they still stayed so good even when they dumbed it down. They just always had a tremendous charisma no matter what.

Fountains of Wayne - s/t

Can't quit playing this at all, super catchy.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Tarot – The Warrior's Spell (EP compilation)
Tarot – Reflections
Tarot – Glimpse of the Dawn

Folky early 70s psych heavy prog proto-metal (with cream) from Australia. Tarot are not part of the occult retro rock wave, which seems to arise from mostly American influences (and Black Sabbath, of course). Instead, they're British to the core. It's been a while since I took a deep dive into the early psych heavy prog scene and my memory is mush (in a cauldron in the woods). To cite an obvious point of reference: the first three Wishbone Ash albums with a lot of Tony Banks (Genesis) and Hugh Banton (Van der Graaf Generator) in the organ work. It's the kind of pastoral rock that conjures up images of buzzing early summer meadows, falling leaves and snowstorms – simultaneously. Peace – but peace of the endangered variety. Even fans of pastoral early Floyd ("A Pillow of Winds", "Grantchester Meadows" etc.) could get something out of "The Warrior's Spell" and "Reflections" while "Glimpse of the Dawn" has more of a late 70s proto-metal vibe to it. Needless to say, I think they're fantastic (and they even have an Archives page).

Excellent band.
Looking forward to get the new album!

Altai-Sayan - Nal Parxa

Good and melodic black metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:36 pm 

M.A.R.T.Y.R. - The Cup of Bitterness

I've heard someone describe this as Hellhammer playing funeral doom metal and while I'm not sure if I'd go that far, it's certainly heavier than a ton of bricks.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:08 pm 

In Aevum Agere - Darkness, Then Light

A cool Italian band, opening notes I thought this might be death metal but it is more like an energetic doom metal with a certain intensity rearing its head from time to time. Good singer as well, not a screamer but provides plenty of color. Some moments this reminded me of early Solitude Aeturnus. I love metal based on Greek mythology.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:36 pm 

Wormwood - Ro

Amazing closing song from the forthcoming album. I found a new cool band, and ordered all 4 albums...
Spoiler: show

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:39 pm 

Stormborn - Zenith

Good heavy metal, just 1 listen in but this seems strong and I feel like repeat listens will payoff.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:11 pm 

Agressor - Neverending Destiny

French death/thrash from 1990. Plenty of technical riffing and absolutely rabid tempos. Very nice.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm 

pikesteriff71 wrote:
Attacker - Forgotten

I need to stop listening to the Heavy Metal Pact podcast,it's too hard on my wallet.Could do with a beefier production but still a good time and had to get it soon as i heard Tortured Existence.Catchy chorus and a very decent guitar player.

lol, those Bob Mitchell albums rule. Hate to break it to you but if you like Soul Taker, The Unknown is just as good.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:39 pm 

Fates Warning Prelude to ruin

Yes Fata Morgana,Guardian etc but what about this song?

Excellent

Protagora

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:44 pm 

firelord_ wrote:
Agressor - Neverending Destiny

French death/thrash from 1990. Plenty of technical riffing and absolutely rabid tempos. Very nice.

Great album for sure.

NP: Azazel - Morbid Religion

Chunky and occult doom/death metal from the country that never smiles (that's Poland, in case you wonder).

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Fates Warning Prelude to ruin

Yes Fata Morgana,Guardian etc but what about this song?

Excellent

Indeed. A 10/10.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 am 

Aganthros Sodoman valssi

That why finnish bm is inarrivable

Epic,folk and meloncholy in a Rossini crescendo

Protagora

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 am 

Bronze Age wrote:
pikesteriff71 wrote:
Attacker - Forgotten

I need to stop listening to the Heavy Metal Pact podcast,it's too hard on my wallet.Could do with a beefier production but still a good time and had to get it soon as i heard Tortured Existence.Catchy chorus and a very decent guitar player.

lol, those Bob Mitchell albums rule. Hate to break it to you but if you like Soul Taker, The Unknown is just as good.

Yeah,Fenriz has been showcasing the band on a regular basis just recently.He played 'Blessed With This Curse' from The Unknown album a few pacts back and i dug that one too.Not heard a bad track yet to be fair.Played the whole album on the bus this morning and it ruled.great stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 am 

My Dying Bride - A Mortal Binding

This really does just fly by even with these long song runtimes. Crushing, measured riffing, some really sharp vocal work - it's all just very cohesive and powerful as a statement.

Necrot - Mortal

Might like this one slightly more than Lifeless Birth; there's just an even harder, heavier attack of sound here. Like a fucking tank.

anamelessghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:55 am 

Bathory discography binge. Currently Blood on Ice. Man of Iron is beautiful

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm 

Going home on vacation soon so going through my massive bandcamp wishlist deciding what to purchase to listen to while i catch up on some much needed pints of Beamish, Gunnies and Murphys.

Inherits The Void - The Impending Fall Of The Stars

XANDELYER - Upheaval Of Medieval Darkness

GEVURAH - Gehinnom

All added to the list so far

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:50 pm 

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance

Classic album.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm 

AlexMercer wrote:

Classic album.

The mighty Sekhmet is with us!!!!!

Protagora

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:40 pm 

AlexMercer wrote:

Classic album.

Yes! Classic brutality.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:43 pm 

Scorpions - Animal Magnetism

Second album of the Jabs era, some great cuts with excellent guitars.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 pm 

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours

Continuing a dive into them... this one's got a lot of the long expansive rolling tunes that I enjoy when a band can do them right. Beautiful, dreary soundscapes and the band is able to just play. It all sounds good and involving. Good as both background music and active listening. Very strong, cohesive feel yet again despite the lengthy excesses.

Voivod - Synchro Anarchy

Really rewards a careful listen... what arresting, beautifully done, textured guitars.

Sabbat - Karisma

Wasn't able to fully make sense of this when I first heard it, but there's something really cool about these manic, kinetic waves of guitar harmonies. Not really much else like it.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 pm 

Internal Suffering - Rituals

Great album from last year.

Last edited by AlexMercer on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:49 pm 

Anaal Nathrakh - The Technogoat

Pure relentless brutality!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:52 pm 

Sonja - Loud Arriver

Don't get some of the negative comments. Vocals are totally fine if not virtuoso or the focus of the music. Songwritingwise it's some of the more complex, unique new trad metal; I rarely hear other bands doing a lot of the stuff the riffs and the arrangements are doing. It's not very prog or anything, but everything is really well thought out and the riffs have a real edge to them and keep contorting things into new forms as the songs go.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm 

Vomit the Soul - Annihilate the Infernal Army

Killer song.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm 

Hideous Divinity - Unextinct

Maybe the album of the year.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm 

High on Fire- Cometh the Storm

God Damn, this album smokes.
I love the Mesopotamian sounding passages incorporated throughout as well.
Bravo, Gentlemen, I'll see you Saturday night in Orlando.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2924, 2925, 2926, 2927, 2928, 2929, 2930, 2931  Next